1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo vs Perisher Blue

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Stevage, May 13, 2008.

1. Stevage

Stevage First Runs

>What a ski resort looks like, early in the morning, standing at over 2040m above sea level

Grr, in France, if you're "standing at 2040m above sea level", you're probably standing on the side of the road trying to hitchhike up to the village.

(hmm, I wrote that as a joke, then just checked and yes, the village at Val Thorens is 2300...)

Steve

2. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Onya Steve. Is Val Thorens in Australia?

#52 VSG, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  3. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

SCHUSS SKI TEAM One of Us

I laugh

Good point [​IMG]

#53 SCHUSS SKI TEAM, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

#54 VSG, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. walrusballs

walrusballs Hard Yards

Well, after reading all that you can really come to the conclusion that no matter what your gunna have a good time. I love Perisher and have never found traversing that much of a problem. Either way tomorrow am going to give thredbo a shot. Sure with recent snowfall we're gunna have a good time.

6. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I like them both Thredbo & PB but all the traversing and cat track commutes at Thredbo can be tiresome and the constant funnelling back to the crap at the bottom gets boring after a while.

PB (with the exception of Guthega access) is just on big yo yo

7. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Both are good IMO but for very different reasons. I'm not sure the criticisms of Thredbos lacking snowcover hold up in my experience, in peak season anyway. Most of the terrain of interest at Thredbo (for me anyway) is on the top two-thirds and holds a similar cover to what you find at the other major resorts from what I can tell and the runouts stay skiable almost as long now due to the snowmaking (although Funnel Web and Golf Course bowl seem to close quickly in more marginal conditions due to the shrubby golf course exit that needs plenty of snow and that last sunny often brown bit of Funnel Web). Its just like DWD says though, it all funnels into the crap at the bottom so you have to be willing to tolerate the runouts/crowded slushy groomers to ski the fun stuff above. For me personally the run outs are usually worth it as I prefer Thredbo's terrain to Perishers.

The problem with Thredbo IMO happens when the snow quality craps out and off-piste loses its lure or becomes unskiable. In this case Thredbo becomes limited very quickly as you get funnelled into one or two fairly narrow slots of terrain over run with a million other skiers and boarders skiing the slushy snow. Over at Periser though the size and altitude of the resort means off-piste snow takes longer to track out and when it does there are still dozens of groomers in a variety of different areas giving you more options to avoid crowds and find runs that are still holding up ok (or even corning up nicely) in the warmer daytime temps.

8. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Ive only skied Perisher as the wife has this perception that staying at Thredbo on snow is to expensive, high end acom & shops etc ( as we are QLDrs ) is that from years gone by or is that how it is today?

9. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

i ski both, but grew up and worked at Thredbo so I know that mountain better. Luckily my mates worked at perisher so they show me around when we ski there. I still love Thredbo, but have come to love Perisher as well.

Re accomodation -yes it is harder to find 'cheap' accom in Thredbo but then a agin Perisher doesnt really have a village centre and is an absolute biatch to commute around if you're not skiing or staying at one of the remote lodges.

10. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Thredbo will be so silly crowded this weekend it makes me shudder...

11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I shall take that as consolation then that I am unable to go on my planned trip on Saturday.

#61 LMB, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

I am a Thredbo lover.

In great snow it has many many options. In man-made it has excellent long groomers. It also has at least three excellent fast chairs that all access great groomer terrain. Traversing in good snow in not necessary, in man-made your arms hurt.

Perisher is large for sure, its lifts can be links or one run access however. Happy Valley lift sucks.High traverse's abound and suck, low ones are v cool, through the snow gums-a world wide highlight (thredbo also has these).

Perisher has the best terrain at the far ends of the resort, Mt P-my fav but HELLO at least one new lift please. And then the Ridge at Blue Cow. Plus a few cool centre options round Interceptor and Nth P (never open).

Thredbo is pretty good all round, if it has cover.

My synopsis, Thredbo's more all round and easier to hit a best day map. I know PV but I ski it with my PV lover buddies.

If you come to Thredders we will do all the best runs in a day.

MY PV friends will suggest we do the Towers and then gradually head skiers R for a few more. BlueC is far to hard, at least for today. Maybe tomorrow.

13. buzzy_the_second

buzzy_the_second First Runs

So far as I'm aware Thredbo has accomodation matching the same price points as PB. It may also have more expensive accomodation in the guise of the large houses that can be rented, but I don't think there's any big price difference at all.

Having said that there is a slight difference in type of regular resort visitor. As a gross generalisation, Thredbo has more private school, doctor lawyer types, and PB has more aggressively egalitarian/average folk. You'll see more mercs and volvos at Thredbo and more Commodores and Toyotas at PB. I also seem to notice more "entitlement" behaviour at Thredbo from long time rich visitors during their annual week or fortnight.

HAving said all that I slightly prefer Thredbo to PB but ski both and like both.

#63 buzzy_the_second, Aug 6, 2010
  14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'n not a brillaint snow rider/boarder, so the quality of the runs isnt a huge deciding factor for me, I'm average only, so most resorts would adequately cater for me.

however, I do rank Thredbo way over PB, specifically because of the accommodation offered AND the apres activities that the village offers, including a swimming pool.

15. ODNT

Do you need much oversnow tpt at Thredbo, to get around from your lodging to the village like Falls ck or can you walk around like perisher?

16. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

Most of the roads at thredbo don't hold snow on them for very long so its an easy walk around on tarred streets. All village accomodation is also serviced by a free shuttle bus that takes you anywhere you want.

#66 BigWaveDave, Aug 6, 2010
  17. sbm

sbm One of Us

Sigh...I'll chime in.

Thredbo for length and quantity of runs, Perisher for snow quality and variety.

If you fancy yourself a bit of a racer, a top-to-bottom, freshly groomed Supertrail is absolutely stonking first thing in the morning. You must be able to average 40 or 50 km/h for five minutes. Nowhere else in Australia comes close.

But the powder probably hangs around a bit longer in Perisher. And you can go the whole day without skiing the same run twice.

My favorite Thredbo-vs-Perisher argument was with my ski instructor while on the Pretty Valley double chair. We were talking about skis and I mentioned that the ones I was on were "just an old pair of rockhoppers".

Quick as a flash he replied "But you're from Thredbo, I thought all your skis were rockhoppers?"

The top of Pretty Valley was still some minutes away, so I shot back "Yeah, well at least in Thredbo you don't get deep vein thrombosis because the chairlift is taking so long"

18. ODNT

[​IMG]

#68 ODNT, Aug 6, 2010
  19. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

#69 sastrugi, Aug 6, 2010
  20. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

each to their own. I am Thredbo through and through. Everytime I go up a chairlift at Perisher I think of glorified hills, not mountains. But at the end of the skiing day no matter where I am I have a smile on my face and that my friends is what it is all about.

21. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What's that lift that broke down the other day, Merrits ?

#71 D-eye, Aug 6, 2010
  22. Mont Man

Mont Man Hard Yards

Thredbo here too: far more efficient lift system, longer runs & better village.

23. site2c

site2c First Runs

I'm with Thredbo too.

Even though I'm heading up there tonight, and skiing Perisher this weekend, I wish I was at Thredbo for at least a day.

Despite the shocking season so far, Thredbo is now top to bottom in snow, and nowhere in aus can compare. Like sbm said, nothing in aus comes close to skiing that supertrail first thing in the morning with a mountain of fresh snow. Even beats the best NZ can offer. Snow quality is generally a problem though. I think there wouldn't be more than 10 of these dream mornings a season.

24. sbm

sbm One of Us

Should have been:

"at least in Thredbo you don't get deep vein thrombosis because the chairlift is taking so long* "

* except for Ramshead and Merrits chairs

Seriously I hate Merrits. Hate hate hate. I always try to catch Gunbarrel even if I have to traverse over to High Noon from Crackenback.

#74 sbm, Aug 6, 2010
  25. walrusballs

walrusballs Hard Yards

Ok, well i boarded Thredbo and Perisher this weekend. And i have to say Perisher is an easy winner. So here are my IMO pro's n Cons. Bear in mind i am an average to good snow boarder, and my girl is very much a learner, so our day is split between teaching her bits, leaving her to play with green runs while hitting the terrain park or harder runs.

Thredbo Pro's
    Long runs
    overnight parking

Thredbo Cons
    Slushy snow down low
    Long runs can leave learners absolutely fkd after a run or two
    Terrain parks are shite
    Most runs lead back to the same place,

Perisher Pro's
    More runs, interchangeable runs( start on one, cut through the trees to another, end up on another)
    Ski/board all day without repeating a run, unless you want to
    Ability to find fresh untouched snow at 12 midday, just the sheer size of Perisher is a massive advantage
    Pubs are better( although i didnt look deep into thredbo village)
    Terrain parks are madness
    Half pipe
    Snow was without question way better at perisher, top to bottom
    Night skiing
    Lodges available on snow for as little as $100 a night

Perisher Cons
    Cant park your car overnight, grrr. why why why???
    Front valley always packed(however easy to avoid with the tube)
    Alot of T bars, but really whats wrong with T bars..

So, thats my Thredbo V Perisher... I like Perisher [​IMG]

#75 walrusballs, Aug 8, 2010
  26. site2c

site2c First Runs

I was up at Thredbo on Sunday (8th). I was supposed to be skiing Perisher for the weekend, but got a refund on my 2 day lift pass on Saturday and went "home" to Thredbo on Sunday. I just love Thredbo for so many reasons:

- The people there are generally nicer than the "look how cool I am, I ski once a year" crowd at Perisher.
    - The lifting system is small and relies heavily on the kosi express and gunbarrel but they are detachable quads and fast.
    - I am skiing a mountain in Thredbo whilst I am skiing a hill in Perisher. Actually a hill is a complement for Perisher. Perisher is so damn flat!! The traverses are painful. The bottom of most runs leading to lifts are flat too.
    - If I have to wait for a lift in Thredbo, at least I get to ski for a lot longer than I would in Perisher.
    - There is nothing in Australia or NZ resorts that can compare to doing the supertrail top to bottom first thing in the morning. Nothing.
    - The lifties at Thredbo are much nicer and more professional than at Perisher.

Having said the above, if you are a snowboarder the terrain parks are much much better that Perisher, but enjoy the walking/ traversing over all the flat bits (and there are a lot of flat bits). Also if you like to have a little adventure and go exploring the resort, Perisher is the place for you. It is massive. Last Saturday my brother and I did every lift that was open in Perisher, Blue Cow and Guthega. The area we covered was massive. The traversing was a pain.

If you are starting out in this sport head to Perisher (shorter runs and better snow). If you want to ski a mountain in Australia and have your legs burning at the bottom, ski Thredbo.

27. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Amen. I was doing screaming top to bottoms Sunday morning as well [​IMG]

#77 Hobber, Aug 13, 2010
  28. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

I ski Thredbo for serious skiing, Selwyn when I go with my kids, and Charlotte Pass for chilled getaway with the missus when we leave the kids with the grandparents. Last time I Skied Perisher was on a freebie. Only way you'll get me there.

29. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

#79 Ramshead, Aug 13, 2010
  30. captainQ

captainQ Hard Yards

Sounds great! Have booked a 5.5 day trip there, from Sunday 29th and am [​IMG] looking forward to a Thredbo experience as described. The bulk of my skiing has been at Perisher, as I'm an ex lifty.
    I've been told that it take a while for my short leg to stretch out, this was caused by all traversing training @ PB. Will see [​IMG]

#80 captainQ, Aug 24, 2010
  31. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You need to get out more.

#81 CarveMan, Aug 24, 2010
  32. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

my thredbo experience is very limited, but i cannot imagine the supertrail ever coming close to freshies up high on the T-bars

33. jjs

jjs Hard Yards

First lifts, 30 + cms of ungroomed fresh on the Supertrail all the way to the bottom, unbeatable ( except for scoring the same on an untacked run of a certain web variety).

Save the T bars for later...

34. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

when was the last time they didn't groom the supertrail?
    (I suppose I'm assuming that the same mentality that i see at falls re grooming also drives thredbo)

35. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Well if they goomed it in the evening and you had 30cm on top you'd get that... but they re-groom a lot in the morning... though they leave some sections fresh!

#85 Hobber, Aug 24, 2010
  36. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Nothing... NOTHING in Australia beats first runs on the the Supertrail on good snow.

In fact when it's good it's easily international standard.

37. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I got freshies on it last year for the first time. It was still snowing at the time though.

38. sleddog

sleddog First Runs

I hear alot of snowboarders like Thredbo better and its not as hard to travers ,and my snowboard buddy I normaly ski with hates Perisher for that reason and from waiting for him to walk or push to get to a lift or out of a slow spot where he got caught with out speed ,I would of agreed.
    This year another mate come with us to PB and is the same skill level and with a waxed board and sharp edges slide every where.
    I think alot of the people that snowboard at perisher that only go for a week or weekend and just hire a board ,would enjoy it alot more if they just spent $10 on wax.

39. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Strangely enough when I went to Thredbo I found myself traversing just as much as when I ski at Perisher.

40. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

I like both. Most of Perishers runs are just long enough to get the legs burning, so if you want to do a flat out burner at Perisher then your legs will be done by the time you get to the t-bar (at least mine are). I find that I have to stop 2 or 3 times if skiing top-bottom at Thredbo anyway (must be getting old/fat/unfit/slack/!)

Yes if you're moving around a lot at Perisher there are plenty of traverses, but if you know where to go they're not that bad and you're still skiing pretty nice terrain. Theres plenty of traverses at Thredbo too, if going side-side all day.

Thredbo seems to now have more of a 'look at me' factor whereas Perisher skiers seems a bit more laid back. (This is coming from a guy who grew up skiing and worked at Thredbo).

A quick story - A mate stayed at a club lodge in Thredbo a few weeks back and ordered a VB at the bar. A middle aged bloke wearing a private school jumper overheard him and chortled 'If you want a VB you'll have to go to Perisher, we don't serve that here at Thredbo".. Now theres a bloke who needs to give himself a good uppercut and it proves that wanchors are everywhere!

I ski both, and love each of them. I'm not fussy or precious

41. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Then get out of this thread!

[​IMG]

#91 Hobber, Aug 25, 2010
  42. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

I'm very fussy and very precious. Hence I ski Thredbo. Exept super late in the season. Heading down last week of sept or early oct for a quick ski, and will prolly do perisher cos would rather do eyre than basin if that's all that's open

43. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

You don't wear a private school jumper too do you? [​IMG]

#93 BigWaveDave, Aug 25, 2010
  44. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

I find that there are way more "look at me" type snowboarders at Perisher...but they are a different breed to the Thredbo 'money'.

As for the guy wearing a private school jumper...thats terrible.

#94 scottik187, Aug 25, 2010
  45. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Nup. Public schooled and proud of it. Not rich either, by any stretch. Hate perisher, though, and even prouder of that.

#95 Ramshead, Aug 25, 2010
  46. ODNT

When I go to Thredbo, I must remember not to drag my knuckles. [​IMG]

#96 ODNT, Aug 26, 2010
  47. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I would agree with that - from my limited experience*.

(*Niseko United; Rusutsu; Hakuba -Happo/Goryu/47 -Japan; Zermatt-Switzerland; Cervinia-Italy)

#97 LMB, Aug 26, 2010
  48. ODNT

Mamabear , you must have 3 vallee France still on your to do list like me ah! [​IMG]

#98 ODNT, Aug 26, 2010
  49. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You really need to get out more.

#99 CarveMan, Aug 26, 2010
  50. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Oh I do, I've been to several resorts in Canadia, US, UnZud and Japow. [​IMG]

#100 Hobber, Aug 26, 2010