1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo vs Perisher Blue

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Stevage, May 13, 2008.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yes we do. [​IMG] Penciled in for 2012; when a friend has long service leave ... may even try and wangle the two remaining student children into short term boarding at their school... but until it is booked in and deposits paid ANYTHING can happen...lol...

#101 LMB, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. Troppo

Troppo Hard Yards

It's a while since i skied Thredbo. Reason being when i have been there the bottom has been slush or grass. I see there is a lot more snowmaking now so perhaps that has improved. I skied at Perisher this year. The extent of snowmaking is awesome. The variety of terrain open for the small amount of natural snow was impressive. I couldn't fault the lifties. Complaints about crowds at Front Valley seem out of date now with the Village 8 and the Quad. Excellent for beginners / intermediates. We'll be taking the kids back to Perisher and when they're really going we'll re-visit Thredbo.

3. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Im curious , can a seasoned thredbo skier tell me, does the bottom of thredbo still stay slushy all the time or has the improved snow making & daily grooming of the man made snow make a difference to maintain better cover for longer periods these days ? We havent been there for 10+ years to thredbo.

4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It gets slushy. But only the last bit from the final turn most of the time. Not enough to turn you off going all the way.

Most of the time.

I like slush, and slushy bumps.

5. LMB

was certainly rideable slush - I would describe it as sugarry rather than elephant snot the last two trips I have taken this season.

One particularly warm day doing that hard turn to run into friday flat off the High Noon run my nose embedded - it was like sinking the nose in a load of powder (yeah yeah - no need for drug jokes you know what I mean) - straight over the handle bars. But it was one spot on the afternoon of one very warm day. I would say spring will offer conditions like that at the base as well this year.

But all in all the cover was magic with the new snowmaking.

6. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Im certain my new peak 78 will cut through the crud. Dont mind a bit of crud either. Better than hard packed ice, my tail bone doesnt like hard ice pack.

7. LMB

Oh that over the handlebars was my error entirely.
    If I had realized it was so deep and soft there I would have put weight on the back foot, but I was trying to turn tight and go uphill so I planted the front foot - whoops!

8. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Yeah, there's slush on the last few hundred metres most of the time (except when it's snowing or super cold). But the rest of the run is still two to three times the length of The Ridge or Mt P so who cares?

9. Troppo

Troppo Hard Yards

The images on the cams at present show how fickle the base of Thredbo is. You do't want to have to carefully find your way to the lift.

10. sbm

sbm One of Us

Yeah the last ~150m of Crackenback below Meadows is pretty pointless except for straight after a fresh fall. If they had a detatchable mid-station on Kosci Express (like on the Perisher quad) where the old Meadows station used to be, I would probably use it all the time.

Hell, I use Bunnywalk Station on Snowgums sometimes when I want to lap Bushranger.

I like the talk of a new quad starting near the old Ramshead 'Tower 10' midstation at the intersection of World Cup/Little Beauty/True Blue.

11. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Troppo, you don't ski Thredbo much do you? Look at the Kosi express snowcam instead of the Valley View cam. Lift access is plenty wide

12. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

i definitely prefer thredbo, longer runs, faster lifts, you spend way more time on the snow at thredbo than pb where you sit on slow lifts all day.

i went with a mate who had skied overseas but never here and we did a day at each and he preferred thredbo as well.

dont get me wrong there is some great skiing at perisher but the runs are short and the lifts are slow.

13. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

GPS'ed a 6 hour ski day at Thredbo earlier in the year in good snow with a very crowded carpark. Covered 40km's with no traverses and roughly 4600m of vertical descent. Did not notice the4 apparent crowds on the mountain all day.

GPS'ed a 6/1/2 hour ski day at Perisher a week later in good snow with a very crowded carpark. Covered 32km with about 3km's of traversing to get from Mt P in the morning to Blue Cow in the afternoon. Vertical descent of about 3200m. Did not notice the apparent crowds until we returned to Perisher from Blue Cow with a 20 minute wait on both Terminal and Pleasant valley.

Conclusion, more skiing time to be had at Thredbo. Much quicker from car to first run and the first run is a long one compared to Perisher where it takes longer to get on snow and the first 1-2 runs are usually short and don't count for much. Next I don't waste time at Thredbo traversing from one area to another, just work my way up and down across the mountain. You can work your way up and down across Perisher instead of doing long traverses too but results in a lot of time spent on short flat runs. I'd prefer to just get it over with and head to my next area of choice as quickly as possible.

Being a weekend warrior though its easier for me though to get the best out of Thredbo compared to season passers or people pre-book a week or two a year. Means I can pick and choose the times I go and which resort so I can avoid those days when crap snow quality (or rain down low) make Thredbos options limited compared to Perisher.

14. aclh

aclh Hard Yards

I see that the general consensus seems to be that the base area of Thredbo can be problematic when conditions aren't optimal. I've experienced some of this in the past as well, but overall, personally I much prefer the longer runs of Thredbo.

Does anyone have any comments/insight into what conditions will be like for this weekend? I'm tossing up whether to ski Thredbo or Perisher, but not sure whether Thredbo will be decent at this time of year.

15. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Perished overall will be better this weekend and in spring in general mainly due to elevation however thredbo has cheaper passes and is still top to bottom...

16. D_Dog

D_Dog Hard Yards

if you like long fast cruises then go to thredbo atm, there are no crowds a either resort but as BlueHue said above you get more meaningful skiing doen at thredbo.

ps: sponars and antons are still really good with great snow quality for this time of year.

17. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'll vouch for that. Just back from 3 days at Thredbo, great skiing and far more terrain accessible due to limited lifts at Perisher.

18. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

#118 VSG, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  19. Donza

Donza Pool Room

How yah work that out?
    Perisher's Hectareage is way way greater than Thredbo's..
    Even with the lift closures I skiied all the way from far out near Eyre...to down near Pretty valley.
    thats a huge area.
    Olympic was open on the weekend if yah felt the urge.

Perisher is better in spring cause of of elevation.
    Reality is in Thredbo you have - decent snowise at mo.
    Sponars area
    Basin Area.
    Merritts
    Super trail and High Noon to max 1600-1650 metres.
    go beyond that and its possible to litterally stop on the runouts.
    Sponars is IMO the best Thredbo has to offer at the mo and Mount P IMO smashes that to bits. For terrain

Of course with 50cm of fresh and a howling Norwester Thredbo rocks.

#119 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
  20. GlenH

As far as I know Perisher closed Pretty Valley after last weekend. They are currently running 11 lifts of which 3 are carpets.

I've had too many late season experiences of Perisher closing lifts at short notice. For a last minute ski this week I had more confidence booking at Thredbo.

#120 GlenH, Sep 29, 2010
  21. choc

choc One of Us

Perisher always has the best spring skiing in the country. If they matched that with the best attitude towards spring skiing, then they would dominate late season. Unfortunately it costs a lot of money to run 50 lifts, where as Thredbo can keep all their terrain open with 3 chairlifts and 3 t-bars.

Also, extending the season at Thredbo costs much less too. Kosci would be spinning anyway, so it's just a couple more lifties for the the Basin and a few patrollers and boom, season extended.

22. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah Pretty Valley closed on sunday...even though the road from BC was being groomed each night..it was possible to hit no name ridge from the BC traverse..then back up PV down happy to MT P.
    Thats a hell of alot of territory for 2 lifts ridden.(forrestor and PV).

the number of lifts at Perisher being closed is redundant as a measure of value anyways. there are so many duplicates, and as there are no lift lines..well. you just use the ones that matter.
    Ie MT P you only need Eyre and Mt P double.
    Sun Valley, leichardt and Happy.
    Quad and V8.
    thats it.
    Pretty Valley was a bonus , as was Olympic for the last weekend.

#122 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
  23. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Sensible, balanced post. [​IMG]

#123 VSG, Sep 29, 2010
  24. nick12

nick12 Addicted

I have spent the last 3 weekends down at both Perisher and Thredbo. The skiing at both has been great. Last weekend i thought thredbo was the pick and it sure felt like there was more tarrain open at Thredbo then PB.

Was really disapointed that perisher didnt drop the price off lift tickets when they closed Blue cow and Guthega on Monday the 20th.

25. GlenH

Yes I understand what you mean about costs although I wonder if they could open more terrain on a lean budget, e.g. run Blue Cow resort with Brumby, Terminal and either Ridge or Summit depending on Roller Coaster cover (and no cafe / shops) and the Blue Cow & Calf Tbars at Guthega.

#125 GlenH, Sep 29, 2010
  26. wangster

wangster A Local

They could run Mitchell on Front Valley and have a park for less staff than it would take Thredbo to run Kosi and the Basin

27. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I wish they could...but they would lose money...I'd be surprsied if they are making money at the moment...

we were saying wouldn't it be cool if they could close Perisher and run Blue cow...
    but alas...its not going to happen.

#127 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
  28. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I agree on that.... the park would keep the coffers ticking
    the only big bucks would be running and keeping Bryan in that cat...

#128 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
  29. Donza

Donza Pool Room

[​IMG]

#129 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  30. wangster

wangster A Local

Too big for a guy like me. Looks impressive though

31. Donza

Donza Pool Room

mee too

saying that...with the melt its pretty much too big for everyone, the last jump at least

#131 Donza, Sep 29, 2010
  32. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

All they have to do is smooge it down, and they can keep a run going for another month.

33. GlenH

It's a balancing act for sure but many businesses lose money at some times in order to keep customers long term, like supermarkets that trade until midnight. If I can shop at Coles late at night I'll shop there in the day time too.

#133 GlenH, Sep 29, 2010
  34. GlenH

Just to highlight what I don't like about Perisher, Sunday morning's (3/10) lift report said 12 lifts open Sunday but made no mention of what they announced Sunday afternoon - only 4 lifts open on Monday (Mt P, Leichhardt, V8 and a carpet) .

By contrast Thredbo announced their planned late season lift openings several weeks ago (and stuck to them) so at least you can book with some certainty.

I've been burnt by Perisher's late season surprises enough times before.

35. kiter

kiter One of Us

me too, never again .

#135 kiter, Oct 3, 2010
  36. 3decks

3decks One of Us

What park does Thredbo have left up, is PB going to leave features in place this year?

37. GlenH

#137 GlenH, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  38. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Perisher park and pipe are still sitting there

39. 3decks

3decks One of Us

Looks like PB has pulled out the jib features.

Anything left at Thredders?

40. choc

choc One of Us

No. All the parks were on the Merritts side of the mountain which is now closed.

41. 3decks

3decks One of Us