1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo - Where to Stay with Kids?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by ForumDW, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ForumDW

ForumDW First Runs

We're travelling to Thredbo for the first time (similar thread I know)

I'm putting our 3yr old in Skischool for the first time

I'm looking for the most convenient accommodation that is also comfortable and appropriate for families.

I was thinking near Friday Flat so I dont have to 'travel' my toddler via bus to the snow etc but remember I have never been to Thredbo so I dont know how 'convenient' it is

Any suggestions?!

2. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

River Inn is right next to Thredboland, where you have to drop your 3 year old off for lessons.

The other option if you didn't want to catch the bus is finding self contained accomm in the Woodridge area, which is next to the Friday Flat area.

3. cutiepie

cutiepie First Runs

The most convenient place!! We used to drop our daughter off and then go back for a leisurely morning buffet breakfast!

4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

We stay at the Thredbo Alpine Hotel. Book with a Thredbo card and get 15% discount.
    The bus takes about 2 minutes to Friday Flat and leaves very regularly.
    TAH close to shops/restaurants and v good value IMO.
    We've been staying there for the past 4 years and have had no trouble getting our son to FF for lessons etc.
    Happy holidays

5. AlSki

AlSki First Runs

Check out Lantern Aptmnts...may get a good deal there altho have to rely on village shuttle bus to get around. Good Luck TW.
    AL

6. AlSki

AlSki First Runs

^ otherwise check out T'bo website-some good value pkgs staying at SnowGoose from memory......under value pkgs winter accom section
    AL

7. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

With a kid in tow, we've found that most lodges aren't really suitable. Once you've tucked the kid in bed, it's not my style to bolt off to the bar (which may be down a couple of corridors and even on a different floor), and unless you can score multi-room digs it's a bit hard to stay up talking, drinking, watching TV or whatever.

I reckon your best option is either an apartment or a small club-style lodge.

The club lodges, by and large, aren't really in convenient walking distance of FF.

I'd try Thredbo Alpine Apartments. They're self-catered, so you can take your own food and save a motza (and feed the 3-year-old what and when they want), and the big red bus stop is right out the front.

8. ForumDW

ForumDW First Runs

Thanks all. I think the self catered will be the go....

I'll check out the alpine hotel for some deals!

9. Xcape

Xcape Old n' Crusty

Hey there ForumDW,

Seriously, your best bet with young kiddies is accommodation nearest Friday Flat. PD mentioned River Inn which would be a good option but you're obviously into self-catered. That's even better. [​IMG]

So many places available in the Woodridge section. I have stayed in many places in Thredbo, and with young kiddies, Woodridge is your best bet for easy access to Friday Flat. [​IMG]

Granite Peaks

OR if you wish to stay in the village..

My favourite
    On the run

Snowman
    Riverside Cabins

Bernti's
    Bernti's has a family room. Semi self contained.

#9 Xcape, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  10. ForumDW

ForumDW First Runs

Thanks Xcape... having not been to Thredbo its proving difficult to work out what is what.

So would Granite Peaks be in walking distance of Friday Flat (for kids)?

What is the shuttle bus system like? If it is ok, perhaps I can the idea of being in walking distance and just go for the best accommodation in my budget?

11. cutiepie

cutiepie First Runs

I always like to stay within walking distance as in less than 20 m being River Inn, otherwise closest to a shuttle bus. Tried overseas those that stated walking distance, it can be a killer in your boots, better off next to bus stop, check the maps or ask here whether ther's a bus stop where u want to stay (give a few that is within your budget) and I am sure the experienced skiers will let u know how far the bus stop is. Cheers!

12. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

The shuttle bus system is good for getting around.

You might also want to hire a locker at FF so you can leave all the hardware there, that would make maneouvering the 3yo a lot easier.

13. Xcape

Xcape Old n' Crusty

It's only a couple of minutes, easy walking distance for kids [​IMG]

#13 Xcape, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  14. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

I don't have kids but plenty of my fellow skiers do snd I know it's a mission.

To me the big question is do you also wan't to be out for first tracks or are you happy to get them settled and then have the day to yourself?

If this is you then the shuttle system is excellent-far and away the best in Aus and to date the best I've seen in a ski resort. They run regularly and cover most routes. Ski/boot lockers are avail at both (im pretty sure) thredbo bases so you can walk/bus down without looking like a sherpa.

I'd go self contained close to a bus stop. Ive stayed at the River Inn-Just cause you are a guest does not mean you can rock up to dinner when you like-you need to book in advance-it can be noisy and its just a hotel-sure it's close to FF but I would not stay there again personally

15. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

One negative with the boot lockers - they're not heated. There's nothing worse than sliding into a set of cold and still-slightly-damp boots first thing in the morning. Much better to leave them in a drying room.

To make them more comfortable to walk in, first, get a set of "tank tracks". These are rubber gizmos that go onto the bottom or your boots - they give better traction, they save a lot of wear on the toe and heel of the boot when you walk on abrasive surfaces, and they make it a bit more comfortable to walk in. Second, don't do the boot up tight (especially the leg clips) until you're ready to click in. Then you can get around in ski boots almost as easily as in normal boots.

16. AlSki

AlSki First Runs

^ kids are flexible or they learn to be-Thredbo is very shuttle friendly & really wherever you stay @ Thredbo will be serviced by the regular shuttle buses tha

17. AlSki

AlSki First Runs

don't know whats wrong with the forum @ the mo....anyway....
    ......that service the village exceptionally well.No matter what lodge you stay at the shuttle service is very efficient. As for toting ski boots around you can hire a locker to store your own while you sort the kids out, but really whatever activity you're engaged in a comfort level can be attained whilst wearing ski boots thru adjustment. Hpe this helps,
    AL