1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo Wireless Hotspots

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Funky, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Funky

Funky One of Us

I need some help finding out about wireless hotspots in Thredders...

Firstly I've searched every possible combination I can think of, but nothing is coming up.

What is available in thredbo?

I'm trying to arrange a week's leave to Thredbo in October, but unfortunately I've got a few work things that I'll need to do when I'm away, and need to log back into work's systems to complete everything.

So before I ask work, and before I commit to my better half that we can go, I need to know what's available (the Thredbo Website takes you to a page with zero information).

An idea of cost would be good but not important (work will pay), but I'm more interested in speeds (otherwise it'll be all too difficult).

Cheers

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i don't know about Thredbo, but at falls, quite a few lodges have access for their guests. Might be worth ringing places you are thinking of staying and see what sort of access they have

3. Funky

Funky One of Us

Accommodation is sorted (better half is a member of a lodge, which has no internet... actually it has a phone which you can use for dial up, but that won't be enough).

4. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

#4 HappyGirl, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  5. Funky

Funky One of Us

Ta...

Thought I'd check Telstra wireless hotspots directly... looks like there is one at Lake Crackenback Resort, which I can probably use (just sit in my car for awhile).

6. peski

peski Hard Yards

There's a place called Hot Shots on the upper Concourse, above the Alpine Hotel in Thredbo. They have internet access and you can plug your laptop in as well. I believe it costs around $10 for the first 15 minutes and then $5 for the next 15 minutes. I looked up the number it's 6457 6422.

7. Funky

Funky One of Us

Thanks Peski

8. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Your right Peski, those are the right price for laptop connection at Hot Shots, they also have computers you can use for $1.50 for every 5min, it's the fastest land connection in Thredbo, you can print but you can't upload documents or use Word etc. just Internet Explorer.

I hear many complaints about wireless providers but I only see the people that can't get it to work - I've never been able to get it to work.

The other option is to get a wireless modem, I have an Optus account that came with an very good USB modem and it gets good coverage and great speed, I use it in one of the worst parts of the village (were there's no 3G 2100mhz and little phone reception), I'm able to upload videos quicker than my ADSL at home and I do several a day, that's even though Optus told me they didn't have coverage! I believe Telstra has coverage.

Let me know were your staying and I'll have a pretty good idea what coverage is like in that part of town.

9. Funky

Funky One of Us

Staying at Roslyn Lodge (next to Candle Light / Black Bear (is it still there???)

Cheers Mate

10. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Funky.... PM's....

11. Lactic

Lactic Hard Yards

River Inn has a hotspot, but you need a password.

I found hotspots last week at The Lantern and YHA last week that appeared to be open.