Thredbo with a Young Family

Aussie_With_Kids

Hard Yards
May 18, 2012
18
2
53
Hi,

We've skiied at Hotham before but never at Thredbo - I'm keen to get some advice from people who have skiied at Thredbo with young children. Looking at accommodation options either on the mountain or in Jindabyne, week commencing July 14th (which I believe is during ACT school hols but not NSW school hols). Is it a pain driving up from Jindabyne each day? If we stay on-mountain, is it easy enough to get around with kids (aged 4, 6, 8)? I'm leaning towards booking an apartment on Buckwong Place, in Thredbo Village - is this a good location with easy access to the kids ski school in the morning?

Thanks
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rugbyskier

One of Us
Jul 7, 2008
3,159
1,260
363
Queanbeyan & Thredbo
Hi there AWK.

In answer to your questions - is it a pain driving up from Jindabyne every day? Yes, but accommodation is cheaper there so the 70km round trip in traffic is the price you pay.

Is it easy to get around with kids? The village has two shuttle bus services - one between the Valley Terminal and Friday Flat and one from the Valley Terminal bus stop up through the village. Changing buses may be a bit of a nuisance if you have to wrangle the kids.

Is Buckwong Place a good location to the ski school? It's at the opposite end of the village - the apartments and lodges around the Woodridge area are within walking distance of the ski school (eg Pilot, Akuna, Onyx, Aspen Creek).

Hope that helps.
 

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
42,921
35,396
1,563
Kiewa Valley
OTOH if you are used to Hotham shuttle buses, in my limited experience he Thredbo service is better. I can't recall buses frequently being too crowded to squeeze into as had happened at Hotham
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
we used to stay in jindy with 4 kids and we worked out that:

getting kids breakfasted and dressed each morning:
getting gear into car
driving up
unpacking car, often a long way from village
walking to village
reverse process at the end of the day (except for breakfast
laugh.gif
)

all added about 2-3 hours of wasted time every day, and with young kids they and we ran out of steam and patience early on.

On top of that, you get stuck with mountain food and the cost of it, plus kids with different skills and attention spans.

Lately we've stayed in Thredbo and all the kids (now a bit older) would all head off and come back to the apartment in different directions and different times.

staying in thredbo is massively more expensive, but if you can afford it, you certainly wont regret it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
gareth_oau said:
we used to stay in jindy with 4 kids and we worked out that:

getting kids breakfasted and dressed each morning:
getting gear into car
driving up
unpacking car, often a long way from village
walking to village
reverse process at the end of the day (except for breakfast
laugh.gif
)

all added about 2-3 hours of wasted time every day, and with young kids they and we ran out of steam and patience early on.

On top of that, you get stuck with mountain food and the cost of it, plus kids with different skills and attention spans.

Lately we've stayed in Thredbo and all the kids (now a bit older) would all head off and come back to the apartment in different directions and different times.

staying in thredbo is massively more expensive, but if you can afford it, you certainly wont regret it.
This.

I suppose with 2 kids and 2 parents it might be OK, but those of us with less favourable ratio's have to hire 2 cars or 12 seater van's and have eyes in the backs of our heads. That's not really a fun holiday. ON mountain is SO much easier with a tribe.
biggrin.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

easty

One of Us
Jul 1, 1999
224
466
163
NSW Snowy Mountains
rugbyskier said:
The village has two shuttle bus services - one between the Valley Terminal and Friday Flat and one from the Valley Terminal bus stop up through the village. Changing buses may be a bit of a nuisance if you have to wrangle the kids.
The small village busses now pick up and drop off at Friday Flat as well as the Valley Terminal. You no longer have to change busses to get to Friday Flat. In peak times they run every ten minutes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
gareth_oau said:
we used to stay in jindy with 4 kids and we worked out that:

getting kids breakfasted and dressed each morning:
getting gear into car
driving up
unpacking car, often a long way from village
walking to village
reverse process at the end of the day

And if you're lucky enough to score a nice dump of snow, add on an extra hour for slow traffic, laying in the mud putting on chains and so on. We once spent 2 hours stopped on the Alpine Way in heavy snow thanks to a bus that had slid off - luckily it was night time and we were on our way in so we didn't lose half a day's skiing.

Driving up and back every day turns a fun ski holiday into hard work.

Stay in Woodridge to be close to ski school, or the village where you're close to the shops and restaurants. Thredbo Alpine Apartments are right where the bus to Friday Flat stops - not a bad option.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
2,215
774
363
Sawtell, NSW
In my opinion Thredbo is a great place with kids (I have a 3.5 and 1.5 yo). I agree with the other posters here, if the budget will allow, definitely stay in Thredbo over Jindy. Yes it is far more expensive, but there is a feeling you are staying 'in' the snow, which I think the kids really love. And yes, the drive up and down each day is a PITA you don't need. The other big bonus for us is that if the kids got cold/crabby etc. then it was easy to return to your place and get warm/have a sleep/have some food etc. before venturing out again. You wouldn't do this if staying in Jindy.
Lastly, I would choose to stay around Woodridge for easy access to Friday Flat (assuming some of the kids are beginners), and the indoor swimming pool, which is always a hit with the kids. It is about a 10 min walk to the village, or there is a free bus that runs very frequently.

Enjoy...
 

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
friely said:
In my opinion Thredbo is a great place with kids (I have a 3.5 and 1.5 yo). ... Yes it is far more expensive, but there is a feeling you are staying 'in' the snow, which I think the kids really love.

Good points, those.

The 4 and 6 year olds will be in Thredboland, the 8 year old will be in freeriders, so you have 2 different places to drop them off.

It'll be pretty chaotic getting the kids into the two places on the first day - if you're renting gear at Thredbo it's a lot less stressful if you can arrive in the afternoon and organise all that stuff the day before you start. You can also buy your lift and lesson tickets late afternoon as well as well as picking up the forms they'll need for the kids.

Our kids like Thredbo's programs, though if anything I'd say they're either over-conservative about where they take them or don't assess the kids very well. My 6-year old was doing blue runs at Whistler 16 months ago and red runs in Japan 4 months ago, but he didn't get off friday flat last Oz winter despite really good weather.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
Thats the only problem I have with Thredbo with kids.
Its a massive leap from FF to up the top of the hill.
 
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
2,215
774
363
Sawtell, NSW
Donza said:
Thats the only problem I have with Thredbo with kids.
Its a massive leap from FF to up the top of the hill.
I agree with this. However, is the new Friday Flat extension going to go further up the hill to near the bottom of the second steepish section of Hign Noon?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Nowada

Addicted
Jan 12, 2011
896
265
143
65
NSW South Coast
I would stay at Smigs, and book them all in to their respective all day lesson groups. You drop all* off at the same area and then you can access all areas of Perisher. *May have to drop the 4 year old off at the Milo club area inside with the obligatory labeling of stuff and filling in forms, allow at least 40 mins. first Day.
If you get there in the arvo before you start lessons (ie Sunday) then hire all your gear on mountain then (if you don't have your own).
At least at Perisher you will have snow around your lodge where as you may find Thredbo village (however beautiful) is somewhat lower than what you have experienced in Vic.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
friely said:
Donza said:
Thats the only problem I have with Thredbo with kids.
Its a massive leap from FF to up the top of the hill.
I agree with this. However, is the new Friday Flat extension going to go further up the hill to near the bottom of the second steepish section of Hign Noon?
No. There is no additional vert.
Only width. With the high noon runout being moved.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
24,568
13,123
1,063
Lurking
Nowada said:
I would stay at Smigs, and book them all in to their respective all day lesson groups. You drop all* off at the same area and then you can access all areas of Perisher.....

........... At least at Perisher you will have snow around your lodge where as you may find Thredbo village (however beautiful) is somewhat lower than what you have experienced in Vic.

Well in Vic (Falls excepted) they tend to put the village on the top of the mountain rather than at the bottom.

Perisher/Smiggins would be fine if there is enough snow to ski between the two but a PITA if you have to catch the bus. Also there is a complete absence of village in either Perisher and Smiggins, so other than playing tiddlywinks, your apre ski options are limited. Thredbo may not have snow down to the village but at least it has a village. Also, staying in Perisher/Smiggins will mean parking at Bullocks Flat and catching the Ski Tube at the beginning and end of your stay and will also put you at the mercy of Hans Oversnow. Very few lodges in Smiggins have parking, AFAIK none in Perisher do, whereas there is plenty of parking for guests in Thredbo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
I reckon PB vs Thredbo with kids is chalk and cheese.

If they don't want to ski at Thredbo they can play in the playground, feed the ducks, swim in the pool, climb on the climbing wall, walk round the shops, visit the museum...

There's very little to do off-snow at PB. I guess you could ride the skitube up and down for a couple of hours.

With kids we've found it much better to stay in a self-catered apartment than a lodge or hotel. We can feed them what they like to eat when they're ready to eat, we can pop back and make lunch, and we can tuck them in bed at 8 and not have to go to bed early ourselves or disappear to the bar and hope they don't wake up and want mummy or daddy. They can take a few toys and spread out without taking up the whole accommodation. Basically it's a bit more like a home. There are heaps of apartments in Thredbo and a few in Perisher, but I don't think as many.

If you go to PB or SMigs I'd look for a place that lets you park your car. Return skitube tickets for the 5 of you would be almost $300 and you'll have to pay a licenced bandit in a snowmobile a gazillion dollars to drive you to and from your digs. On top of that we found lugging 5 days' gear on skitube for 2 adults and 1 young kid (and no food) was hard work and not at all fun. With 3 kids it would be an ordeal.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
I just drop people and gear off at lodge.
Drive car back to sawpit and hitch back.
Easy as.
 

Nowada

Addicted
Jan 12, 2011
896
265
143
65
NSW South Coast
Driving up is an option. There is also a regular free shuttle bus to/from ski tube and Smiggins. No need for oversnow as most Smiggins lodges are around the day car park.
In my experience with young families après is not high on the need to have list. All lodges that I have stayed in that are not in the centre have always provided free oversnow transporton arrival/departure and some on a daily basis.
 

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
Nowada said:
In my experience with young families après is not high on the need to have list.

Very true. Largely because if it's available you couldn't go anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
Donza said:
Thats the only problem I have with Thredbo with kids.
Its a massive leap from FF to up the top of the hill.

I was just thinking some more about this.

I think one of the big improvements of this latest developments at FF is that it will allow 'experienced' beginners a chance to cruise along the end of Sundowner and gain a bit more speed and experience before heading up the mountain to the cruiser area?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
24,568
13,123
1,063
Lurking
laugh.gif
... when I first skied Thredbo the beginners area was a T-bar off the top of Merritts chair. And really, Easy Ride T offers sheltered beginners sliding and there are plenty of easy wasy down from The Cruiser chair. The only leap from Friday Flat to Merritts is in the mind.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
If anything, the stretch of Sundowner accessed with the developments is flatter than the main part of FF with one short steeper pitch at the bottom where you cut back under Gunbarrel chair. Hardly enough to count, really.

Thredbo really needs a chair in the basin area, because that's really the logical progression after FF. Not too many beginners feel comfy on a t-bar.
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
true PA, but the bottom of sundowner, without all the beginners in class, will allow the "experienced" beginners a chance to get up more speed than they would typically experience on a busyish day on FF
 

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
5,711
11,176
563
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Angus_McCrory said:
laugh.gif
... when I first skied Thredbo the beginners area was a T-bar off the top of Merritts chair. And really, Easy Ride T offers sheltered beginners sliding and there are plenty of easy wasy down from The Cruiser chair. The only leap from Friday Flat to Merritts is in the mind.

This is SO TRUE and the worst offenders are parents, who lack any ability explain this and encourage their kids up there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
Beginners need space. And that was the biggest problem with FF. This gives more space. Therefore it is a good move IMHO.

Yes, the Basin is the next logical step. The things that stop newbies heading there vary between skiers and boarders but generally (and IMHO):

* Kosi when it is windy and the unload area sheet ice. Nasty nasty carnage. freaks the newbie right out.

* The drop from the Kosi unload into the bowl, especially when wind scoured - it's pretty steep for a newbie, and they worry about timing the crossing of the t bar correctly.

* riding the t bar. Especially when they are in a big queue, under pressure to get it right the first time, and partnered with someone they don't know.

* x a billion for a new snowboarder.

* The mental hurdle of...if I get down to the t bar, but can't ride it back up...I'm stuck!

So the second stop for the majority is going to be Cruiser.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
Nidecker said:
Angus_McCrory said:
laugh.gif
... when I first skied Thredbo the beginners area was a T-bar off the top of Merritts chair. And really, Easy Ride T offers sheltered beginners sliding and there are plenty of easy wasy down from The Cruiser chair. The only leap from Friday Flat to Merritts is in the mind.

This is SO TRUE and the worst offenders are parents, who lack any ability explain this and encourage their kids up there.
Sorry merritts is not a good beginner area. Too many people skiing bad fall lines. Too crowded and the speed diffirential is too great.
Also getting down back to FF is a pain in the bum.
I'm also trying to work out how sundowner would be utilised as a run?... correct me if i'm wrong. However doesn't high noon now finish by the hydrant. Then an uphill bit via a carpet to a gradual slide down the backside of the river?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
gareth_oau said:
true PA, but the bottom of sundowner, without all the beginners in class, will allow the "experienced" beginners a chance to get up more speed than they would typically experience on a busyish day on FF
Sorry i'm lost here.
You come down sundowner...you can't get to FF -rather you'll be on the carpet .
00073202.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
Its more the run in from High Noon/Sundowner a bit AFTER the Merritts lift that has been appropriated to Friday Flat's new beginner area.

A new run in has been carved out of the bush, bridge built over the creek, to get to the Gunbarrel from HN/Sundowner.
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
I was meaning the other way donza, from the latest trail map it would seem that if you catch EDI chairlift up FF, it would appear that you can now slide across to Sundownder (or the old sundowner) and slid down from there.

931346_640236325990461_715139705_n.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
That run isn't sundowner..sundowner finished at the creek station..that run is the old High noon.
its flat... too flat.
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
High Noon/sSndowner - the way Thredbo have shown the bottom bit green suggests that its a continuation of sundowner, and high noon ends where the two intersect

edit: but I agree, on the hill the run looks like high noon all the way (apart from the flatness)
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
Its high noon...no need to argue
laugh.gif

goes from the top of gunbarrel to the bottom.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
16,247
7,077
813
121
sydney
to be honest I am still a bit confused about how this works

good to see some amlleability with terrain however

look foward to trying it out
 

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
192
0
86
Sydney
Current interactive map shows it as Sundowner. Best taken with ice and a twist of lemon.
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
benchives said:
to be honest I am still a bit confused about how this works

good to see some amlleability with terrain however

look foward to trying it out
To be honest so I am.
You come flying down nigh noon..Will you have enough speed to make it up the uphill bit.
Or do you jam the brakes on..get on carpet..go up and slide down to the river.
Imagine the carpet line?
Then a fence?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
laugh.gif

Which is why I generally call it the 'run in' after HN or Sundowner.
It's too freaking flat to be a run
wink.gif


I dunno, maybe the relocated little snowrunner to the right is tots play - keep them safe. Then the bigger learners hit the first snowrunner (old one) - next step is EDI and snowrunner to access longer flat sections to learn those turns, then move on to EDI and straight down the old section for that bit more pitch.

However it works, I'll find out on opening weekend
biggrin.gif


As for High Noon - I considered the ride over once we crossed under the Merritts lift, the rest was just 'running it in to the lift'. I'm sure the new path will be no worse, and potentially may be a bit better
biggrin.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
Donza said:
benchives said:
to be honest I am still a bit confused about how this works

good to see some amlleability with terrain however

look foward to trying it out
To be honest so I am.
You come flying down nigh noon..Will you have enough speed to make it up the uphill bit.
Or do you jam the brakes on..get on carpet..go up and slide down to the river.
Imagine the carpet line?
Then a fence?
What?
The carpet is for the FF users.
You bypass it. NEW RUN carved out - bridge over the creek - sweet!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
"I'm told that the new High Noon bypass will be completed in time for winter and that a "covered" 3rd snow runner (magic carpet) will cross the creek above Friday Flat and provide a long and gentle run for skiers and boarders back along the widened Summer Road (see earlier report) and down the last section of High Noon that is now being bypassed for those actually skiing High Noon."
 

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
Lady Mamabear said:
Donza said:
benchives said:
to be honest I am still a bit confused about how this works

good to see some amlleability with terrain however

look foward to trying it out
To be honest so I am.
You come flying down nigh noon..Will you have enough speed to make it up the uphill bit.
Or do you jam the brakes on..get on carpet..go up and slide down to the river.
Imagine the carpet line?
Then a fence?
What?
The carpet is for the FF users.
You bypass it. NEW RUN carved out - bridge over the creek - sweet!
OK i got confused maybe, though thats a decent little incline there. Where the big digger is the bypass..uphill.

00073202.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
Donza said:
"I'm told that the new High Noon bypass will be completed in time for winter and that a "covered" 3rd snow runner (magic carpet) will cross the creek above Friday Flat and provide a long and gentle run for skiers and boarders back along the widened Summer Road (see earlier report) and down the last section of High Noon that is now being bypassed for those actually skiing High Noon."
Not the best wording I suppose.
But I read that as:
High Noon Bypass is being built and will be ready in time for the season.
This is a bypass for those actually skiing High Noon and will keep them away from FF until the last minute.

The Snow runner crossed the creek allowing the FF learners to access the newly reclaimed OLD High Noon run in as a FF extension.

The HN skiers and FF skiers will not cross paths until just before the Gunbarrel lift.

I think....anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
1,295
198
213
Sydney
Visit site
benchives said:
to be honest I am still a bit confused about how this works

good to see some amlleability with terrain however

look foward to trying it out
I like snow at Basin, but I found it too short when I practiced there, less than a minute riding down then stuck on the Tee for another 5-6 minutes.

gareth_oau said:
High Noon/sSndowner - the way Thredbo have shown the bottom bit green suggests that its a continuation of sundowner, and high noon ends where the two intersect

edit: but I agree, on the hill the run looks like high noon all the way (apart from the flatness)
Although it's practically High Noon runout, Thredbo needs to make this section green so that it can be part of the green route from top to bottom of 5.9km. This is to give the impression that anyone can ride this "longest-in-the-pacific" run even if they're beginners. But really, how many beginners are happy riding cat tracks? Riding cat track sections of Village trail is more of enduring than enjoying.

Lady Mamabear said:
As for High Noon - I considered the ride over once we crossed under the Merritts lift, the rest was just 'running it in to the lift'.
This. I always considered the run ends at the bridge.

As for being flat, it looked really flat when I rode it, but actually it's 30 metres in height and Friday Flat is 45 metres! I can't believe that.

Donza said:
OK i got confused maybe, though thats a decent little incline there. Where the big digger is the bypass..uphill.
Your speed will be more than enough to go through that little 'hill'. And when it's covered with snow they can make it high around the snow gun then you won't have to worry about going up hill.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
129,110
87,304
3,563
woonona
Lady Mamabear said:
Donza said:
"I'm told that the new High Noon bypass will be completed in time for winter and that a "covered" 3rd snow runner (magic carpet) will cross the creek above Friday Flat and provide a long and gentle run for skiers and boarders back along the widened Summer Road (see earlier report) and down the last section of High Noon that is now being bypassed for those actually skiing High Noon."
Not the best wording I suppose.
But I read that as:
High Noon Bypass is being built and will be ready in time for the season.
This is a bypass for those actually skiing High Noon and will keep them away from FF until the last minute.

The Snow runner crossed the creek allowing the FF learners to access the newly reclaimed OLD High Noon run in as a FF extension.

The HN skiers and FF skiers will not cross paths until just before the Gunbarrel lift.

I think....anyway.
Yeah youre correct.
The summer road is now a run.
The carpet will acess that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
192
0
86
Sydney
I walked down the Summer road this Autumn with thoughts of hooning down it on my board. Then at the bottom was a big digger just beginning to rip the trees out.

The new area will give lots more capacity to FF. Wonder if they will speed up the chair correspondingly. Probably not.
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,286
24,934
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
this was posted today on FB:

936317_501780129876734_1714400549_n.jpg


I'm presuming the little hut in the background is the top of EDI and this pictured snowrunner runs up hill and to the left from EDI where beginners offload off the snowrunner and slide down the High Noon Runout/Sundowner back to the bottom of FF
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Moderator
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
35,703
40,052
1,063
Perth
Dive said:
I walked down the Summer road this Autumn with thoughts of hooning down it on my board. Then at the bottom was a big digger just beginning to rip the trees out.

The new area will give lots more capacity to FF. Wonder if they will speed up the chair correspondingly. Probably not.
rofl.gif

And increase the pile of bodies at the end?


I think not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
11,543
2,292
813
68
Rozelle, NSW
gareth_oau said:
I'm presuming the little hut in the background is the top of EDI and this pictured snowrunner runs up hill and to the left from EDI where beginners offload off the snowrunner and slide down the High Noon Runout/Sundowner back to the bottom of FF

That looks about right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Hilary

First Runs
Jul 15, 2012
4
0
0
We stayed at 'Eagles Nest' on Crackenback Ridge. Car parking included, we were 3 families and someone would run all the kids down (7seater) to FF, then we adults would jump on the supertrail. At the end of the day we may ski to meet them and bus back (easy, better than Buller, Falls) or someone collect hem.
Nb - leisure centre pool is FREEZING, same experience two years in a row
 
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass