1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo with Kids

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Noah, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Noah

Noah Early Days

This turned into a massive post so to summarise and save you reading it I have a simple question: What's a good plan for skiing Thredbo with happy ski kids who are 10 and 12?

The more extended version:

I'm going to Thredbo with my family in a couple weeks (skiing Monday to Wednesday). We just finished a weekend at Selwyn and I was wondering what people do with kids at proper mountains in terms of checking in with them and ensuring they don't get lost? At Selwyn we'd just hang out together in the same section and I'd see them. Comfortable also just leaving them to it because it's such a small place with few hazards. But I doubt that's possible (or desirable) at Thredbo. I'd say my kids were intermediate skiers, but I have no idea about classifications. They can go down reasonably steep sections with controlled turns and know how to stop themselves if they slip or get in trouble. So what strategies do people have? Are there good meeting places I should talk to them about? I will be staying with them.

And reading so much about the monstrous lines, I was wondering what would be a good strategy to ensure we don't spend too much time waiting around? My children are 10 and 12 and are confident on the blue and 'black' runs at selwyn, so I think blue runs would be challenging but definitely what I want to be doing with them. My youngest still falls over a bit, so I expect to do lots of stopping and waiting on runs. Our excitement about Thredbo is around the long runs that are possible, but I presume if we go from top to bottom we should anticipate very big lines when we get to the bottom? And how long is it getting from the bottom to the top (doesn't have to be the very top, just like the look of the long runs)? I suppose the better approach is to get to a section and stay there? Maybe leave the whole mountain run until the end of the day?

My wife will probably stick to the very easy slopes on Friday flat and hopefully cruiser, so might not worry about planning for her.

Also, a worn out question, but where is cheapest to go for ski gear for the family? I presume one of the places in Jindabyne but they're all more expensive than either Adaminaby or Talbingo ski hire. I have skis but everyone else needs them.

Finally, you can spend $20 extra on ski passes to start skiing after 1pm, we could probably be there by 1 and I imagine Sunday afternoon will see the weekenders clearing out. Any problems with this that I haven't anticipated? We're staying at the YHA, so no hassle going for just a few hours in the afternoon.

Looking at the map it looks logical to work from right to left. So I'd say going up gunbarrell to start and at cruiser, then across to Antons, then the Basin before some runs through meadows.

Any good place to plant the eski and gear? At Selwyn we just grabbed a table in the ski centre.

I'm sure there are similar threads but I looked and couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Why are you going to Thredbo?
    Smiggins at Perisher sounds perfect for your circumstances

3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Selwyn “blacks” are green anywhere else. Anton’s and Sponars T bars are also a very big step up from Selwyn.

I’d suggest hang out at Cruiser to start. Plan on going back to your accomodation for lunch, I wouldn’t leave an esky lying around and expect it to still be there when you get back.

skull and zac150 like this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you don't ski with them somewhere like Merrits or Friday Flat that are pretty self contained would work.

5. Donzah

Esky at Smiggs
    No worries

6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

But he’s going to Thredbo. Long way to get lunch.

LaNeige likes this.
  7. Donzah

Just read. Staying at yha

8. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If your skiing cruiser you could easily get the chair together, there are a few runs off the cruiser of different difficulties so just split at the top and rejoin at the bottom get chair together and repeat.

We do this a bit splitting on runs then meeting at the bottom.

Snow Blowey likes this.
  9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm no thredbo expert but i would have thought that on a nice day, Basin would be a good alternative.

crackson, LaNeige and zac150 like this.
  10. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Really? Just curious for my own purposes, but that surprises me.

11. Alleve

Alleve Hard Yards

As for lift lines, they generally aren't too long, but obviously it depends.

The Kosciuszko Express is about 10 minutes from the bottom to top, Snowgums is about 15 bc it's a fixed grip

Gunbarrel Express is about 7 minutes, Cruiser is about 5

12. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

We just returned from Thredbo and had a great time, although my son is younger than yours. Cruiser is a great place to start and if you're after a longer run, turn left from Gunbarrel and follow The Traverse, down the Village Trail, then Sundowner which leads back to the wife on Friday Flats. Really nice run and not overly challenging. Bizarrely The Traverse section is a blue run but considerably easier than Sundowner which is much steeper and a little icy late afternoon, and a green run.

The only thing I would add about that side of the mountain is to exercise caution on High Noon for your younger ones (I say that not knowing their ability). It is classed as a blue but in the words of a few instructors I have used, a very, very dark blue, especially in the afternoon when it is icy! I'm comfortable with blue but did struggle a little on that about 7 weeks ago (to be fair it was one of the few runs open at the time and like an ice rink).

As somebody else suggested, Merrits is a good meeting place and easily accessible.

For hire, we used Thredbo store for convenience (if anything goes wrong it's fixed instantly) and when you book your lift passes you get 20% off. Not sure if that will make it any cheaper than Jindabyne or not...and Guest Services there rival Telstra in terms of incompetence (purely from my personal experience).

They do have lockers you can rent for sandwiches, or whatever but in typical Thredbo fashion, very expensive (small and $15 a day. A lot if you're there for 5 days!)

One other thing you may like to consider is checking out ex-rental gear to purchase at some of the shops in Jindy. If you plan on skiing again it may work out cheaper by the second visit.

Enjoy your trip!

sastrugi, zac150, Noah and 1 other person like this.
  13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The Cruiser are accessed via the Merrits chair or Gunbarrel chair has half a dozen different runs ranging from green to black and also has the playground and a park.

You could easily spend all day there and ski with the kids or just meet up at the bottom to ride back up on the Cruiser chair. There’s also a restaurant at the bottom of the chair.

You can also download via chair back to the village or Friday Flat at the end of a long day if you don’t want to ski back.

Monday to Wednesday wont be too busy unless its school holidays

Noah likes this.
  14. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The kids will smash it.

Youve got three main drainages. Merrits runs all lead to Cruiser chair. Runs in the middle of the hill funnel to High Noon and down to Friday flat (back to Gunbarrel). Then anything off kosi chair drains back to that chair. So just implement a meet you at the chair after each run and you shouldnt have any issues.

Sage Oya and Noah like this.
  15. Noah

Noah Early Days

Perisher is obviously better, but I'm going to thredbo because I like the variety of runs and staying on the mountain. I'd be more interested in falls creek than smiggins as an alternative to thredbo.

Cruiser chair suggestions sound great, will definitely give that a go.

Thanks for others giving advice, shame about a lack of an eski culture. How far is it to walk from the yha? And I'll probably need a locker to store shoes etc if you can't just leave things around (I think I've taken Selwyn for granted).

I looked in to thredbo hire and it's pricier, but I didn't lump it with tickets, so I'll look again. I'm also looking at 2nd hand gear but will be our last ski trip this year (unless late September is still skiable) and the kids will be bigger by next year. Will probably buy at the start of next season.

16. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Check out the bus system in Thredbo, it’s free and buses are constantly running so reasonably convenient. One of the routes will pass the hostel so if you pick up a locker you should be able to leave a bit of gear there.

I would check out Cooma for rentals

17. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

seconded, hang out on Cruiser. Nice runs and you can slowly move to more challenging terrain if they are up to it.

18. Reginald

Reginald First Runs

The Base in Jindabyne is also really cheap - 20% off with Base Card. A lot cheaper than up on the mountain even with various bundling discounts.

Noah likes this.
  19. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

As @Snow Blowey mentioned, pretty much all the runs eventually funnel back into those three main areas so hard to get lost if you nominate one of them as the meeting spot. Mobile coverage is good so not much risk of loosing the kids for an extended period of time unless they go off into the trees bush bashing or out of bounds.

Not really anywhere to leave an Esky. I’d preference packing a backpack with some sandwiches, snacks and drinks and just have a picnic. You could use the shuttles to get back up to the yha to do lunch but it would be a waste of skiing time imo.

20. Noah

Noah Early Days

Thanks, yes they have the best price. Cheers for the recommendation.

21. Noah

Noah Early Days

Wasting ski time is too painful to contemplate, so I'll be packing lunches. I had thought we'd be able to drop in and out of the YHA but obviously not possible. That doesn't matter much anyway.

22. Sage Oya

Yes better to avoid going back to the yha during the day imo. Its up on buckwong place which you can walk to from the base of the kosi lift but is a painful uphill walk in ski boots.

23. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Who needs an esky when it's sub 10dehrees ambient.

24. Sage Oya

Beers buried in the snow is the go. Just don’t forget where you left them.

skiflat likes this.
  25. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

While staying at Smiggins in the first week of August, the early week snowmelt revealed two cans of coke, and then a can of bourbon & coke just outside our window.

Someone clearly fell victim to a powder day!

skiflat and Sage Oya like this.
  26. Noah

Noah Early Days

Not for beers as I'm not an advanced enough skier to try that. Cycling and drinking is a dangerous enough combination for me, and I'm an experienced cyclist. It doesn't have to be an eski, it's just what I use to carry food because of the solid box shape. As I'm now planning to get a locker I think a backpack is the go.

27. gareth_oau

Easily found. Where @telecrag lesves all the empties

28. Noah

Noah Early Days

And which area is better for lockers? Friday flat or the other area? My wife will probably be at friday flat but my kids and I will be in the cruiser area. Is it easy getting from one area to the other? looks like best way is to get a lift up and ski down to the other side. Sorry for the begginer questions and thanks for all the help.

29. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

Thredbo is kinda a resort of 2 half's; the Merritt's / Friday flat side which is accessed by the Gunbarrel chair; and the Kosi / Basin side which is accessed by the Kosi chair. There's the central spur t-bars (Anton's and Sponers) which link the two.

As the Merritt's (Cruiser) area is accessed by the Gunbarrel chair, which is right next to Friday Flat area, it sounds like you're better off getting a locker at Friday's flat. You can either ski down High Noon or download on Gunbarrel from Merritt's.

Also, you can easily make it back to Friday Flat from the Kosi / Supertrail via Sundowner or just catch the big bus from Valley Terminal (the bottom of the Kosi chair).

skull, Alleve, Noah and 1 other person like this.
  30. Noah

Noah Early Days

More newbie questions, sorry:

1. Parking on Sunday afternoon where we come in to do the afternoon skiing (before three day lift pass) I will go to the day parking at friday flat. Tickets seem to be picked up at the centre there. Any chance of getting a park there on Sunday midday? On the map the parking looks small. If I don't get a park I'll drop family off and find a park somewhere else but are there other places where I can expect to find a park?

2. I drive a Diesel Prado. Do I fill up with alpine diesel? I don't think it's expected to be all that cold while we're up there but not sure what people do. And anti-freeze in the coolant or is that also overkill? Do people just leave their car in overnight car parking for the duration of their stay at Thredbo?

31. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

There is an overflow carpark to the right as you go past the snowmaking ponds as you come along Friday Drive before the day parking. There is a good chance that they could be using this carpark on Sunday. There is a shuttle bus that runs between the overflow and Friday Flat. There is a drop off area on Friday Drive right at Friday Flat. It is on the other side of the road as you come in so you need to do a u-turn at the roundabout at Friday Flat. I've never been there when the overflow has been completely full so you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure the BP in both Jindabyne and Thredbo have alpine diesel, but I've never actually used it and never had any issues with normal diesel.

Noah likes this.
  32. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

^^^ This is a good idea.

Thredbo village accommodation is largely built up the far side of the valley from the ski slopes. It's a decent hike - more likely a bus - to get back to the YHA from the slopes. Both the green and red mini buses (edit - the buses are white and red/green coloured signs indicate Route 1 or Route 2; there's a bus route map in the below link) will take you close to the YHA. The larger buses just lap the valley floor from Valley Terminal to Friday Flat, which is something like 1km or so. Both Route 1 and Route 2 buses will drop you to Friday Flat from the YHA. On the way back just tell your driver you're getting off at the YHA and they'll drop you in the right spot.

https://www.thredbo.com.au/the-village/road-transport/

Once you get set at Friday Flat do a couple of Friday Flat runs to see how your wife is travelling on that slope. Once you're feeling confident start by heading up the Gunbarrel chair, turning right off the chair and traversing over to the Merritts area (about 200 yards or so). You can spend some time lapping that area on the Cruiser lift. Start of September, Monday - Wednesday you shouldn't have to worry about the huge (weekend) lift lines. Merritts Mountainhouse will tend to pack full come midday. We tend to do a short pre-lunch stop, then a post-lunch stop and we keep skiing through the busy lunch period.

Merritts has a variety of greens, blues and a couple of black runs (skier's far left). Easy enough to meet back at the same chair run after run, even if you're taking a different route down the hill. If you're looking down into the Powder Bowl (black) there appears to be no way out, but you can get out following the line of the chair, and the Boundary Rider run (also black) takes you through the trees at the bottom of the slope coming out onto the groomed runs down towards the bottom of the chair. The exit run dodges through some trees, and it's narrow, but the trail is easy enough to follow. Some of the blue runs (skier's right) the other side of Ballroom get overlooked by the crowds and can often be empty.

Merritts to Friday Flat (if your wife is staying down there, or you just want to get back to your locker) is a traverse across to the Supertrail, head far left as you descend the Supertrail, take a left turn at the bottom of the Rossi Racecourse and take Sundowner back to the Friday Flat area.

Looks like the weather will be ok for you, with perhaps some mixed conditions. Enjoy your trip.

Noah and J_busworth like this.
  33. linked_recoveries

At 1pm Sunday, I'd take a chance on the parking lots closer to Friday Flat. People will start packing up and leaving from around midday on a Sunday. You can always drive back to the overflow parking if need be.

LaNeige, skull and Sage Oya like this.
  34. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Are you arriving by car? There is no parking at YHA, once you've dropped your stuff off you need to head back down to the Friday Flat overnight car parks. Why don't you pack lunches and each day store them in the car (or an esky in the car) and meet at Friday flat for lunch each day, then head back up?

LaNeige, Noah and J_busworth like this.
  35. linked_recoveries

That's a good point. YHA check in is 3:00pm, so on Sunday (1:00pm) you may be parking, skiing, then driving up to the YHA mid-afternoon to check in / drop off stuff, driving back to park the car again, and grabbing the bus to get back to the YHA. The Thredbo shuffle. If you secure a spot close enough to Friday Flat the car can hold your esky.

36. db2567

db2567 One of Us

Check in time at YHA is 4.30pm.
    There are huge orange lockers underneath, but you will need to bring your own padlock.
    The little shuttle buses(green route) will take you from the bottom of the slopes up neat YHA.
    Parking will be challenging at that time if day so take anything you can find then walk back( or shuttle bus) back to your car and you will very likely find overnight parking after 4 pm when day trippers leave.
    Make certain that you eventually find correct parking as some parking is only from 7 am to 7 pm.
    YHA is on Kosciusko express chairlift side. You can catch bus over to Friday flats or can walk downhill to the scenic slow Merritt's chair and use that to get up to Merritt's/ cruiser area.

37. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ha, picked up a few empties last trip, as well as other rubbish. WTF is wrong with people? Who thinks its OK to dump rubbish? It really pisses me off, weaklings.

I know you were only joking.

gareth_oau and DPS Driver like this.
  38. linked_recoveries

39. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've never had much trouble finding a long-term park on a Sunday afternoon. Sometimes you might have to walk a bit further. This year I scored a spot right in the village! Took 3 of us an hour to dig it out of the snow the following weekend...

LaNeige likes this.
  40. Noah

Noah Early Days

Yeah, I knew about the no parking at YHA, I meant that I was thinking we could walk between the YHA and the slopes, but I realise now I had a somewhat romanticised view of thredbo village and the YHA's location. Great idea about using the car as a locker if we get a good spot. I'll do that. I'm sure signs will make it clear but the P4 parking behind the day parking at friday flat is overnight parking, yeah?

41. Noah

Noah Early Days

Thanks for the information about the lockers. The plan for Sunday was to park and get on the slopes as quickly as possible, then drive back to the YHA and dump everything and then drive back to the overnight parking after I've done that. But maybe I'll try to dump our luggage at the YHA first and then drive over to the parking. If I don't get a good park at midday I can try again after skiing.

And now that I come to think about it, do you take your skis back to the accommodation or leave them in the car/locker? We've only stayed off mountain before.

42. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Trust nobody. A mate had his goggles pinched a few years ago - put them on the shelf in the toilet, turned his back for 30 seconds to take a leak, turned back and they'd gone.

43. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

There are usually ski/boot lockers at your accommodation and most people carry theirs back. I'm pretty sure the YHA has them but I can't remember if you have to pay extra for them or not. There are bus racks on the back of the buses, but kids skis and poles should come inside the bus. Look for the green route 2, its the one that stops closest to the YHA, but ask the driver just to be sure. Otherwise, there are ski and boot lockers at the ski hire at Friday Flat which can be an easier option than carrying it all back to the YHA. Whatever you do, do not leave ski boots unbuckled in your car overnight!

sastrugi and Noah like this.
  44. db2567

db2567 One of Us

The YHA has ski/ snowboard racks inside and outside.
    Inside is near the check in area and heated dryer room.
    The kitchen at YHA is wonderful, it's overlooking the slopes, it has 5 stoves too.
    2 large fridges( that are not big enough for 50 guests), cubby holes for non perishable food( again not quite enough for 50 guests).
    The driveway to YHA is steep and the turn around area is tight( especially if it's snowy).
    Keeping spare jackets , neck warmers, gloves etc in your car( if parked at Friday flats is worth while), and use it as a day to day locker.
    I often keep spare skis there so I can change according to the conditions.
    To hire a locker at Friday flats( small) is about $15 for one day and decreases each day.You could use locker for lunches at day and gloves etc overnight.
    A suggestion though is get a locker after 3.30-4 pm and you don't get charged until the next day, also you can hand your key in the morning around 830 and not get charged that day.
    In other words get locker at end of day sunday and hand key back in on Wednesday morning and only get charged for Monday and Tuesday.
    Enjoy your stay, I will probably see you there Noah as I'm going in a few days too.

Noah likes this.
  45. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I would always take my boots back (unless the locker area is heated). Putting cold boots on in the morning is no fun.

46. gareth_oau

If I saw someone doing that I would a slightly psychotic look before asking them if they are sure they dont want to take it home with them

47. Noah

Noah Early Days

Yes, was only going to leave skis in the car, not the boots. I think if I get a good park nearby I'll do that, otherwise not. Very important to dry the boots out in the evening. I like drying damp ski boots almost as much as that first ascent up the ski lift in the morning.

48. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

I think so but I'm not 100% sure. Someone else here might be able to confirm the P4 for you (we usually park at our lodge so I'm not too familiar with P4)

49. Noah

Noah Early Days

So I won't get alpine diesel, any need for adding antifreeze coolant to the radiator? Do people bother?

50. Adam_P

Adam_P Hard Yards

Never used either.