1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Thredbo without a lift pass?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by smellycat, May 4, 2013.

1. smellycat

smellycat First Runs

hi ive never been to thredbo. was wondering if its possible to ski in thredbo without going on the lifts?? or would it just be all flat and quite boring lol. i'm going for 3 days and planning to just buy a 2 day lift pass to save on costs. i've never skied before and was hoping to spend the first day practicing on the more gentle slopes. how easy are they to walk up? lol

2. Karen97

Karen97 One of Us

Get lessons!! Suck it up and spend the money. Skiing ain't cheap!!

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

smellycat,
    Karen97 is on the money! Snowsports are not cheap, and you will get the most out of them if you do it properly and get lessons.

This year Thredbo has introduced a great deal for First Timers that wasn't available before (believe me, I took a group of First Timers last August!) and it represents amazing value. I'd highly recommend it.

The below prices are ALL for PEAK SEASON, so you can get cheaper if you go in the Value or Shoulder seasons, which could also be good crowds wise - beginners are not keen on other people near them usually. They are however the purchase 14+ days prior online price. If you leave it till you get there it will be more.

To do it the old fashioned way you are up for:
    $273.70 for a 3 day peak season lift pass
    $120.70 for a 3 day hire of boots, skis poles OR boots and snowboard
    That's $394.40 without any lessons. A one hour private will set you back $150, I couldn't find a price for group lessons without a lift pass attached, but it gives you an indication of the value of a lesson.

However, with the new Firsttimer Deal it is:
    $307.70 3 days First Timer Lessons and Lift Combo
    [​IMG]Includes Access to Friday Flat lift and snowrunner only for day one, all lifts day 2 and 3.
    [​IMG]Includes a 2 hour adult lesson every day.
    [​IMG]Includes hire of skis, boots, poles OR snowboard and boots.
    If you throw in that the 3 days of 2 hour group lessons were worth a mere $50 p/day then you've just saved $236.70 by using this new deal available for the first time, over what was possible last year.

Is $236.70 enough of a saving for you.
    THANKS THREDBO. [​IMG]

#3 LMB, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

if you aren't financial enough though, its easy enough to walk to the top of Friday Flats and slide back down - be a long day though walking all that way in ski boots, and carrying skis and poles

5. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Mind you, it's probably not a great deal slower than the Easy Does It chair!

But you'd be buggered after 2 or 3 runs.

#5 Piste Again, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  6. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

A lot of people seem to walk up Friday Flat and fall their way back down again.
    Don't know the legal liability issues though.

7. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Can't see any problem. No different to BC skiers coming down the mountain or summer time hikers walking all over the mountain ticketless.

#7 HappyGirl, May 4, 2013
  8. LMB

My father did it when we took them for their first ski trip. We booked beginner lift and lessons for Mum and Dad for 2 days. On those days they used the snowrunner with an instructor. They never got to the lift with the instructor (very timid, especially Mum), and it was a mental hurdle for them. Dad also couldn't see the sense in paying 100 odd dollars a day to try it out and see if it worked out for them. He also felt that hiking up the hill was half the fun. Mum was less enamoured of the hike. Dad would go right to the top, Mum to the tree 1/3 of the way up, and then they'd slowly practice what they learned in the lesson.

Personally I think they would have advanced much quicker if they had ponied up for the pass and taken the lift - especially Mum - she was totally rooted by the time she got to the tree's and then had little left to focus on the slide down. Dad loved it. If he was ever to really take up skiing I could see him on a set of tele's with skins and going up before going down.

Bottom line is Thredbo have made it much more affordable this season for newbies to do it right - and you will advance so much quicker - therefore have much more fun if you have a lift pass and take daily lessons. But each to their own.

#8 LMB, May 4, 2013
  9. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

And I have found my rugby skills have come in handy to tackle out of control skiers and boarders who haven't taken a lesson and are coming down the hill about to take out my first-timer class. [​IMG]

#9 rugbyskier, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  10. Nikki_o

Nikki_o One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

[​IMG]

There are people out there who don't have lessons?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

smellycat if you are fit enough it is very easy to walk up Friday Flats. It is much quicker than using the chairlift. I have lost count the number of times I have done it!

#10 Nikki_o, May 4, 2013
  11. gareth_oau

but without ski boots on Nik [​IMG]

#11 gareth_oau, May 4, 2013
  12. Dos

Dos One of Us

Actually it can be quicker. Believe me. I did that. The queue was so large I decided to just walk up, not to mention the "supersonic speed" chairlift. By the time I arrived at the bottom again the person who had stood in front of me was just about leaving the loading station [​IMG]

#12 Dos, May 4, 2013
  13. Dos

Dos One of Us

I did take ski lessons, but admittedly never took any snowboard lesson. I watched these snowboard lessons on Youtube and practice. I watched the clips so many times that with my every move on the slope I heard (in my mind) their voices that relate to my actions! [​IMG] That helped me a lot in learning, though. Their voices became louder when I made mistake or did something I shouldn't.

ps. I've realised that the US and Canadian snowboard teachings are different, especially with basic of turning. I chose US way.

#13 Dos, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  14. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hike up at DHG, and learn off piste at the same time. Thats the ski school I went to, only took like 20 years to get OK at it, think I was pretty good, before I skied resort, and discovered I was shit. Mind you I have never been scared at anything in the resort. 20 years well spent?

15. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have always thought that having to buy a lift ticket for a first timer with a lesson is a absolute ripoff.
    Lessons are a must ,but from memory on my first day on snow in 89,in a group lesson in Austria we just walked up.
    Same for my wife a few years ago in Hakuba,I don't think the instructor took her up on a lift till the second day,but as a 42 year old being on snow for the first time and not really very sports oriented it was very daunting for her.
    And no magic carpet.
    Great to see that Thredbo is doing cheap tickets for first timers.

16. gareth_oau

but WAw, that first time on a lift is a rite of passage and its a great experience on your very first day, less than 1 hour into your first lesson

17. LMB

It does put you in the danger zone though Gareth. Only 2 of my newbie friends decided to have a crack with me, instructor son and instructor friend after a first timer lesson skis. One has already booked a family Euro trip. The other thought she had it all going on, then put her weight backward when she felt she accelerated too much...we all know what happened next. More acceleration, more panic, more weight backwards...and smashed straight into a teenager on a board. She's still got a buggered knee. <whoops...friend fail>
    I suppose if you are walking up it is self limiting to your athletic ability somewhat...

If I had been on my board I would have employed RS's technique and rugby tackled her before she hurt someone else (although the kid kinda bounced) - but I was on skis/day 1...so just as useless as she was [​IMG]

#17 LMB, May 4, 2013
  18. Nikki_o

The carnage that I have seen with people getting off the chairlift on FF is unbelievable.
    Why does it have to be like that? [​IMG]

I will NEVER get on that chairlift, I would prefer to walk up!

#18 Nikki_o, May 4, 2013
  19. Dos

Dos One of Us

Like this? [​IMG]

#19 Dos, May 4, 2013
  20. WaitAwhile

My wifes nephew went for a school ski holiday to thredbo a few years ago,they could surf and thought that would make them good snow boarders so after one two hour lesson took of on a lift,he fell over pretty badly,battled on ,not realizing he had done major damage to his shoulder and that was his trip over ,on the first day.had to fly back to Perth and have reconstructive surgery on his shoulder,cost his mum quite a few thousand dollars and she was not happy but boys will be boys.

21. LMB

[​IMG]
    Bullshit! I'll be riding that puppy with you in June - you just wait and see.
    There wont be crowds at that time of year, we might even be able to get a quad chair to ourselves...and I'll hold your hand all the way if that's what it takes. [​IMG]

If a 3yr old can do it then Nikki_O can bloody well do it!

#21 LMB, May 4, 2013
  22. LMB

Awesome. A fixed triple with a decent drop away ramp to get people away from the lift before it whacks them in the head on the way around the bullwheel. And everyone sits where they fall [​IMG] Love it.

Can anyone yell OBSTACLE COURSE

#22 LMB, May 4, 2013
  23. WaitAwhile

We were there in peak season when I learnt with a group of 15 ,on the first day or two it was quicker to just walk up then snowplow and try and turn,plus we were all in our early twenties and it was one of those euro resorts where the runs going down into the village were more suitable for good intermediate skiers.not for a bunch of blokes that had never seen snow before.

#23 WaitAwhile, May 4, 2013
  24. Nikki_o

[​IMG]

Sorry LMB, it is not going to happen!

I hope we are not going to have a battle of wills, you won't win! [​IMG] [​IMG]

#24 Nikki_o, May 4, 2013
  25. LMB

[​IMG] Don't underestimate the powers of the Ma-bear [​IMG]

PB always says snowboarding is a downhill sport, LIFT uphill, SLIDE downhill. [​IMG] While I'm not that pragmatic, after the first go, you'll be hooked on the easy way up.

#25 LMB, May 4, 2013
  26. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Only go for 2 days. Forget the 3rd. Ski Lift is only one element of the on mountain cost. Plus the additional accom as well.

Make your first ski experience as pleasant as possible. Don't walk up Ski a run.

That or go to Selwyn.

#26 Astro66, May 4, 2013
  27. Nikki_o

[​IMG]

#27 Nikki_o, May 4, 2013
  28. WaitAwhile

If your looking for a nice open area with short queus and a chairlift you can't go past blue cow,although its a short drive from thredbo.

29. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Go to Treble Cone, their beginner carpet is free, a few runs on that you'll be good to hit up the shutes over in the Saddle Basin [​IMG]

#29 mauricem, May 5, 2013
  30. Dive

Dive Hard Yards

Do you have a red lightsabre?

Rode the FF chair again last year with some beginner friends. My it is slow. But then the carnage at the end is so very exciting! The best thing to be said about that lift is that it is not the V8 at Perisher.

#30 Dive, May 5, 2013
  31. LMB

[​IMG]
    I never quite understood why you would stack beginners 8 wide and load them via a balance test...LOL

#31 LMB, May 5, 2013
  32. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

That lift is called the idiot for a reason.

33. K10

K10 Hard Yards

haha
    like the E.D.I.ot at Thredbo

34. K10

K10 Hard Yards

I was giving my 8yr old son a Tele lesson at FF and Telecrag skinned up in less time than it took for us to load and ride the EDI-ot chair

But he's an axe at uphill skiing [​IMG]

Angus is glad that he won't have to do it anymore

And yes there was all sorts of carnage
    One guy tried to load with his 3yr old without skis
    Can't see a problem with that - they would just join the pile at the top [​IMG]

In all seriousness Nikki-O it won't be that bad
    The queue will be frustrating and the worst bit, once thats over sit back and enjoy the ride

You'll have plenty of time to psych up for the unload

#34 K10, May 5, 2013
  35. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] yeah cause they are such similar sports [​IMG]

I taught windsurfing in Perth for the best part of 8 years, (same f'n thing) the number of times a surfer would turn up and be all kook and no style... unbelievable

#35 Nidecker, May 6, 2013
  36. sbm

sbm One of Us

Last year a friend lent me his board for a couple of muck-around hike-up runs on Friday Flat. He asked me what stance I wanted, and I suggested +20 +5 after thinking about my surfing stance (yep, with the back foot more angled). He looked at me like I was crazy, then set it to something more standard and told me if I wanted to take up boarding I would need an alpine hardboot setup.

#36 sbm, May 8, 2013
  37. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Hiking FF is as fast as EDI - I prefer to hike it than catch the chair. It's a good preseason warm up.

BUT GET LESSONS. The value is worth the money, soooo worth it!

38. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Isn't falling off the EDI chair the official introduction to Australian skiing?

39. Dos

Dos One of Us

Like this? Ouch!!!

#39 Dos, May 15, 2013
  40. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

Big [​IMG] to the two instructors who were there within 10 seconds of the person falling to the ground.

#40 rugbyskier, May 15, 2013
  41. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ouch. God knows how you can do that unless you are f* around...

42. gareth_oau

i suppose its one way of avoiding all the seated snowboarders at the top! [​IMG]

#42 gareth_oau, May 15, 2013
  43. LMB

^^ Both of these statements! [​IMG]

#43 LMB, May 15, 2013
  44. K10

K10 Hard Yards

I fell off the Kosci chair
    However it was at the bottom
    Didn't fall very far
    But I landed on my bike !!

45. Dos

Dos One of Us

I once got stuck on a chair at Cruiser top station because we had been too deep in the chat to realise we were approaching the top station and didn't raise the bar. The other person got off the chair just in time, but I got stuck and hung from the chair, going back down. The lifty had to stop the lift to let me off the chair.

Very embarrassing.

46. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

All beginners should learn at Selwyn, then progress to Smigg's, once they have mastered all that PB has to offer then maybe they could come over to the dark side and not before. Bahaha

47. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

You must have gone to the same school as my wife!
    My son and myself skied away pretending we didn't know her!
    Tres embarrassment [​IMG]

#47 Untele-whippet, May 21, 2013
  48. K10

K10 Hard Yards

Not sure what resort it was but Telecrag told me a story of a mate of his that had tied his goretex jacket around his waist and it got caught on the chair

He could not unload

He ended up going round the bull wheel and was hanging from his jacket upside down

The knot was pulled so tight it could not be undone or something like that

MR TC please elaborate if I got it wrong

49. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ha ha, yeah Woodsie at BlueCow, I laughed nearly as hard when you landed on your bike. In fact I told that story when I went up early this year. Woodsie's effort is still the best I have seen, held the lift up for nearly 10 mins to extricate him.

50. LMB

I'm feeling a whole lot better about getting the dangly tightening thingo from a pair of gloves (that were not my usual) caught in a hole in the poma at Perisher. [​IMG]

As I released the bar the oval shaped slider must have popped in like an Avon shape ball, then twisted to lock in under tension.

Unlike you lot who gave everyone a good laugh, because I was trying to unload early (to meet up with a friend) no one picked up what was going on. I just reeled the Poma back in, wiggled the clip out of the hole and disembarked a little bit further along.

HOWEVER... if I had lost my balance and fallen...
    Or if I'd done it at the end of the Poma...
    [​IMG]

I got lucky. [​IMG]

#50 LMB, May 23, 2013