1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ticket Price release date

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by schneeschleicher, Feb 14, 2021.

1. schneeschleicher

schneeschleicher Hard Yards

Sorry if there is already a thread dealing with this. Please redirect me there if that is the case. Trying to price a week at Hotham this year but it is a little difficult given the lack of lift ticket pricing. Anyone have the inside line on a rough release date for this info??

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hard to do better than the Epic Australia Pass for a week - season pass for $899. Accomm will likely be much more expensive, depending on what style you want.

currawong, TinkyH23 and Chaeron like this.
  3. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure when prices will come out, IIRC last year was delayed as covid came through, and the days were sold in blocks of exact days rather than x in y days once you got in the 5 to 7 day range.

As a guide, in 2019 the best rate per day in peak in 2019 was about $120 (7 days out of 9) and highest is about $130 per day (3 days).

Can probably stop reading here, the rest is just my own thinking and rationale!

So for Epic, now at $899 but due to rise in price on 23rd, the payback is about 7 days.

BUT, there is some insurance and further lesson, rental discounts as well as first tracks and free night skiing - so payback is even better than just a day rate.

Also, possible priorisation for a lift ticket if demand exceeds covid safe density limits. (Noting that this priorisation didn't happen at Falls/Hotham in 2020 during the July school holidays, which contained the only 4 days the lifts ran).

I am up for 6 days in July school holidays and believe that Epic is good value ( and leaves me with incentive to get up for a further weekend or 2, and September school holidays if the snow is as good as 2018 and 2019).

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

I am also waiting on the regular lift tickets to be released. I am planning on going for 5 days so I don't believe that the epic pass will be better value. I am also travelling from Queensland with no opportunity to book additional days at other resorts.

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  5. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think it would be close though

Chaeron likes this.
  6. schneeschleicher

Sorry for not replying. Covid fallout and the roller coaster that it makes life.Thanks for the feedback. Still no love from Hotham. Their spiel on the website is great...
    "We get it. Winter is the best and you want to book your snow holiday. Nothing excites us more than welcoming skiers and riders back to our mountains. We are updating our offerings and pricing for the 2021 snow season and will update this page closer to winter."
    They either don't actually get it or they a teasing me and trying to figure out how much they can squeeze out of me as the dust settles. I suspect the latter.

nezumi likes this.
  7. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yup. One of the most frustrating aspects of snowsports is the drip feeding of prices. Sure, if you know you are going to do 20+ days on snow, then you are probably going to be better off buying a season pass. But if you are going for a week then, covid restrictions aside, it's a borderline difference. Add on to that the need to book accommodation when it comes available, but before ticket prices are released, and for parents the ever changing landscape of lesson offerings for children.... it's all pretty frustrating.

8. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Really 5+ days then the EPIC is a no brainer ...... flexibility ;);););)

Chaeron likes this.
  9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

true when you live close enough to do short trips. not so much if you live somewhere other than Vic, nsw or act.

nezumi likes this.
  10. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Perisher 2019, 5 days Lift & Lessons (BC or Smig) - $559
    Epic pass - $799 minimum

Flexibility of pass use doesn't help much when you have to book accommodation at the start of the year.

Then, as I said, there's the changing scenario for parents. In past years it was Discovery for 3 & 4 year olds, where they could choose to ski or snowboard. Then from 5 years and up, it was normal group lessons.

This year they have changed the age range to be 3-5 & 6+, respectively - and limited the younger ones to skiing only. I can understand *why* they are doing that, but it doesn't make planning any easier.

LMB and Chaeron like this.
  11. schneeschleicher

Epic pass is now $949. Would only get one for myself as the rest of the family won't be going more than the one trip. I doubt I would get up enough to make it worthwhile anyway. So still need an indication from Vail as to how much they will be trying to wring out of my account. The kids lessons is also a concern, though I'm sure that will come out in the wash. :headbang: