1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tipping Heli ski guides

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Chillybin, Sep 16, 2018.

1. expatgm

expatgm Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Well well (some of ) you ignorant fools.
    If I was offered a "tip" just for doing my job which I am qualified trained and experienced to perform that would be the most demeaning insult imaginable
    Do you tip your Doctor or Dentist?? so what's the difference.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Simple rule - when in Rome.

No matter how much it sticks in your craw.

Chaeron, Ralf_Plow and LMB like this.
  3. kieren gaul

kieren gaul Hard Yards

I am a ski guide in Canada - but also an Australian. The amount that get tipped varies a huge amount. Most people tip around C$50-100 per day - but only if they have a had a great day. Lots of Australians come and tip nothing. On the other hand americans always tip. Tipping is optional, Normally you want to tip where a guide has gone above and beyond. Guides get paid; tail guides 150-200 per day, lead guide 250-300 per day, fully cert guides C$350-450 per day. So none of these guides are getting rich doing it. The training for a full cert ski guide normally takes about 8-9 years for most people in Canada. Companies have different policies for tipping - some pool all the tips and share with all the team, others just keep the tips that they receive. It is good to ask what the operations policy is in relation to tipping.

DPS Driver, LMB, climberman and 2 others like this.
  4. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks Keiren. I was flying blind, but looks like I did the right thing.

Very happy with the way the guides and pilot looked after us.

5. i_am_higher

i_am_higher Hard Yards

I didn't tip my guide when I did a heli day in Revy as I got put in a shit group of skiers and our guide was Wayne Kerr. Their rental board were old and crap too. I didn't feel obliged to tip.

I recently posted in USA forum regarding a heli week in AK for March / April 2019, I'm not getting much response though.
    This thread seems to have more people with experience in hell trips in AK.
    Can i get a few tips from you guys regarding who to book and fly with. Im leaning towards Chugach Powder Guides due to the no fly day options.

It will be myself and my mate, both advanced boarders and looking at 5-7 days with a few days in a resort before hand, also a week in Whistler before as my brother lives in Van.

6. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We should help this guy. He has a cool brother.

7. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I have posted this before from my group at PNH a few years ago . It's steeper than it looks in the vid .

i_am_higher, Chaeron, JoeKing and 4 others like this.
  8. crackson

Looks super flat.

9. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

That was one of the lines we skied that day . I have lost a heap of pics on Photbucket .
    If old mate wants to test himself this is the place . I went back in 2017 and we we only skied 2 days at low angles , so I guess you have to be prepared to wait and pay for the privilege of skiing the best runs of your life .

dawooduck and DPS Driver like this.
  10. crackson

Looks like a solid 25degrees.

parkmonkey likes this.
  11. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nozawaman that is way seriously steep. Pleased you skied it and got home to talk about it.

I used to rock climb. Im stunned you were not roped in, on the ridge. That is f' crazy!

My personal recommendation is not to do it again, but pass the knowledge of the significant risks onto younger generations who may not be so lucky.

This will be my 40th year of skiing, what was deemed extreme 4 decades ago is no longer extreme. But the mountains can kill all of us in so many different ways.

Those who lead the charge into skiing ever steeper lines eventually end up under about 20' of snow dead with a minority who get lucky by not being there that day.

So while some richards espouse bullshit, one needs to ask, who is the bigger fool. In perfect conditions with skiers in perfect condition, lines could be skied. [Note I said Could].

Avalanches dont care about people they just kill the brave who make a misjudgement.

Personally I think we would be a lot better off to plonk a whole bunch of skiing trolls on top of a run like that and watch them stem christie until they fell to their deaths. Wouldn't need to listen to their bullshit.

Well done Nowzaman. Now step back and pass what you have learnt to your future generations so that they might live.

sly_karma likes this.
  12. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I came very close to dying last season on a run I have skied god knows how many times in full view of the chairlift . I was with my son and future son in law we all took different lines down the same run on a 1 meter powder day and I ended up in a glide crack wedged and buried . My take is that my time is up when it's up much to the horror of my wife , and as for the the lines in Alaska , well I have been skiing for many years , and it is more than a sport for me . It's the same as when I am in the water something is going on............ call it a connection / spiritual I don't know , but I farking love it , and if that was going to be my last day on earth than it's better than withering away in a hospital bed with someone wiping my arse .
    Thanks for the concern though .

Chaeron, LMB, Taipan and 1 other person like this.
  13. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    PNH - Cordova. That is all. You're welcome. (unless you get skunked on the weather and then you heard it first from @Nozawaman :D )

i_am_higher likes this.
  14. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I do still get the herby jeebies about some of the toe in ridge LZ's they drop you off on at PNH though :eek:

piolet and LMB like this.
  15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I didn't tip Tomas for that day we had with you a couple of years ago Kieren because I've bought him plenty of beers and bottles of red over the years, lent him a pair of skis for the day and had to scaddoodle off quickly. And we're still friends ha ha.

Heading to Canada again this year with the family. Not sure if we'll get down to Red though. If we do, I'll be booking a seat for sure. So should anyone else on this forum who is heading to Red Mountain.

16. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Fkn hell
    Sick

17. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My PNH 2010 TR may also come up with a search if you want more validation on what's on offer there. Have heard some 'mare weather stories also though...

18. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Belly likes this.
  19. Ralf_Plow

Ralf_Plow One of Us

I have only ever done day trips because, well $2k a day is not my bag, $800 is far more palatable.

Still, I tipped my guides if they were good. If they gave me the packaged dentist day on rolly terrain, I haven't tipped, if they give me something to sink my teeth into i'll tip. A good guide can see if a skier is not getting their itch scratched, and they will scratch it. Therefore they deserve a bit extra.

For me the baseline cost is for the baseline service of keeping you alive, but the added extras deserve a bit of guide love.

LMB likes this.
  20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

There was no tip love for the NZ guide (on skis) who kept guiding a group of boarders into terrain traps. Initially I thought he just didn’t get it, but after I worked out it was happening over and over again I hung back enough to pick my own line based on his line and avoiding the nasty stop spots he was picking, giving the boarders behind me the ability to avoid problems (I was the crash test dummy as I could get out of most scenarios). But TBH I think he was just messing with us... especially after he told us he wished he had brought his board after seeing how much fun we were having o_O LOL

Tips in some cultures are an expectation though - when in Rome..

21. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Some more of the lines on offer at PNH

DidSurfNowSki and parkmonkey like this.
  22. Belly

And all of it is waaaay bigger than it looks.

sly_karma likes this.
  23. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Even tho it isnt culture, sometimes I tip when I have a massive win. Recently paid for group lesson in NZ for kids, got a private. Tipped....

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Belly

PNH now have access to a new zone according to an email received by subscriber's overnight.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  25. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

PNH are serious like a military operation compared with Kashmir no nonsense ,no frills , not unduly expensive and awesome terrain and skiing if the weather is good.
    The weather can be crap though.