1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tipping your guide

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Canuckskier, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Canuckskier

Canuckskier Hard Yards

as a newbie to Japan, I thought I would ask about tipping a guide. Here in Canada , it’s standard to tip a percentage of the overall cost of the trip. I understand in Japan it may be considered somewhat insulting to tip in general, but I think maybe guides are different. Can anyone offer insights on this? I have 4 guided days booked over a span of 8 days so am looking for guidance. If tipping, should we tip every day as it may be different guides for different mountains and days even though it’s the same company? Tip at the end? Thanks all!

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I would say from my limited experience in Japan that it depends on where the guide is from. You are right in that tipping is just not a thing at all in Japan. Japanese service staff refuse to take tips, so a Japanese guide will likely be similar. Australia doesn't have much of a tipping culture either, but an Australian guide will no doubt accept a tip if offered. Then I would guess that North American guides would probably expect to be tipped much like at home.

Ramenman and Telemark Phat like this.
  3. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Be good to your Mother.

lanib2 and JoeKing like this.
  4. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Absolutely do that. If its gaijin give money, if Japanese a bottle of Yamazki. All on the last day.

JoeKing likes this.