Tips for Cervinia

Discussion in 'Europe' started by toralina, Jul 6, 2018.

1. toralina

toralina First Runs

Hi
    I'm headed to Cervinia in Dec with my family of 2 adults and 3 kids (17 years, 15 years and 10 years old) for 4 days. The hubs and kids are pretty much intermediate skiers but i consider myself to be a beginner. The past few years, we've been skiing in Niseko for about a week each time.

Would like recommendations for English speaking ski schools / instructors at Cervinia. Also, any other tips for meals / ski trails / etc would be most welcome!

Thank you.

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

No tips, sorry.

Just wanted to say welcome, and you’ll love Cervinia. We always stayed in Zermatt but I really enjoyed heading over the top into the Italian side - was just that bit less pretentious and bit more friendly I thought.

If you do pop over the border remember that you need different currency ;)

3. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Addicted

OMG Cervinia what a place!
    I had a white Xmas there in 2010 ( i think).
    we had early season conditions, with mostly only the pistes/trails open, and not all the Lifts either.

The link to Zermatt was only open 2 of the 6 days we were there, so if it's Open definitely Go!
    Though food is much more $$ in Zermatt.
    Also make the trip round/over / all the way down to Valtournache, it's lovely long long long run!
    We found all the on mountain food was really good, not so much the bathrooms!
    Can't help with Ski school sorry.

4. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

Ohhh we loved Valtournenche too!

But IIRC the only way back to the top meant a long poma ride - that had descents as well as steep sections. One of our crew had a fair bit of trouble with it. 3 failed attempts and then he walked up rather than try again. We were all waiting at the top in a horrendous stinging wind and time to last lift to Zermatt was fast approaching.

Worth leaving plenty of time before last lifts to get back if you go over.

5. toralina

toralina First Runs

Thanks everyone. We definitely intend to stay on the groomed runs.
    Are the blues easy blues? Would a beginner be able to do the Cervinia-Zermatt-Cervinia run?
    Hope i will have enough blue runs to last me 3 days. haha...

6. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

Kilometres of runs. You’ll be fine!

My first time to Zermatt I was an intermediate - still went over to Cervinia and back - no problem. You’ll be ace.

7. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

If you can ski blue you’ll be able to deal with or survive pretty much all the groomed runs.

Do get over to Zermatt

I don’t think we had a bad meal / snack/ coffee anywhere.

Be prepared for snow euro prices.

8. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

Make sure you do red run number 7. For bragging rights, start it from the top of Klein Matterhorn. The vertical drop is from about 3880m down to 2000m. It is an amazing run. At the bottom of this run there is a quaint little Italian osteria/cafe. Worth stopping for a 1Eur espresso or a cheap plate of pasta (much better prices than the Swiss side). There is also a variant of this run which goes to Valtournenche (which adds another 500m of vertical (although there may be a small lift which breaks the continuity (I have not done this part so can't say for certain)).

Chalet Etoile is a great place for a nicer lunch (but still not overly expensive).

9. toralina

toralina First Runs

Thanks, you mean Ventina right? I watched a you tube video of it and i don't think I can! Do the lift operators allow skiers to take lifts down?

10. Hermannator

Hermannator Addicted

Should do - I've seen downloading passengers on the chairs/gondolas there. Skiing right down to Zermatt village a big ask for a beginner IMO.

When I stayed at Residence Castelli in 2016, they had a B I G friendly dog in the hotel lounge (might be nice for the kids?).

Resort can be affected by high winds, grand views from the border with Schweiz.

Restaurants are really good with great food and service.

11. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

To do Zermatt you need to add it to your lift pass for that day.

Do take the insurance (was cheap from memory) with your lift pass, otherwise if you need ski patrol you will be billed for it.