1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for First Ski Trip to Australia

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by mountainaddict, Jul 9, 2015.

1. mountainaddict

mountainaddict Early Days

Greetings from the UK :)

My wife and I are seasoned skiers (20 odd years experience) who are planning on 3 days' skiing at Perisher and/or Thredbo during our first trip to Australia in a couple of weeks' time.

We'll have a hire car, have booked digs in Jindabyne (The Station) and are planning on skiing from Sun 26th - Tue 28th July (the Sunday was unavoidable as we're staying with friends in Canberra up until the Saturday night).

We know that conditions are not ideal at the moment - but really are easily pleased when it comes to skiing and the snow making efforts reported on here seem impressive. We just love skiing anywhere at all - from tiny one-lift areas to European mega resorts - however marginal the conditions. So we're just looking forward to the Australian experience and skiing somewhere new.

Any hints/tips etc would be greatly appreciated - from the skiing to food/drink, Jindabyne etc - eg will we be looking at ridiculously busy/crowded on the Sunday?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

IMHO

The last weekend in July is not usually too busy.

Given you are staying at the station you will be driving into Jindabyne town should you wish to eat out so drive slower at night due to lots of mad wildlife you could encounter.

Ski both Thredbo and Perisher so you get a good feel for Aussie skiing. If you can and the weather is nice, ski over to Guthega from Perisher for lunch at Guthega Hotel for a little bit of Euro feel.

Buy your lift tickets online for a bit of a discount.

You will need to hire chains if your hire car isn't minimum AWD. Hire from Caltex or BP servo in Jindabyne town.

There are lots of ski hire in town, all much the same.

Don't drink and drive or speed as the police are feral aggressive.

Buy a National Park entry day pass on your way up to either Thredbo or Perisher.

Bring lots of money and have a lovely time as the snow should be vastly improved by the time you arrive.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  3. mountainaddict

Thanks Dawooduck - very helpful tips.

Cheers!

4. ski

ski Hard Yards

Hello,
    In my experience Sunday afternoons are often quiet - so depending on conditions you may want to go for a later start and finish on Sunday.

The drive from Jindabyne to Thredbo or Perisher is painful in the morning after 7:30am - there are long traffic queues and quite often the police are doing random breath tests which slows things down as well. We tend to leave early to miss the traffic - get up to the resort and have a leisurely breakfast on the hill.

In Thredbo the cafe at the base of Merritts has lovely hot chocolates and some good food - in fact all cafes on the hill in Thredbo are pretty good.

As Dawooduck said though the police have a very strong presence on the roads - so it's best to leave the Apres ski until you get back down to Jindabyne.

If you like schnapps - there is a great distillery on the way back down the hill (Wild Brumby) that is worth a visit. They've set up a lovely area for taste testing from memory.

In terms of ski terrain - Thredbo is my favourite resort if the snow conditions are good - with relatively long tree lined runs - and lots of place to play off piste and nice cafes!

Perisher is "safer" in dodgy snow conditions as it is higher - to see the whole of the Perisher resort there can be a lot of traversing. My favourite areas to play in Perisher are the runs of the Summit chair in Blue Cow.

Coming from the UK and European ski resorts - you will find it very expensive - but you can still have a lot of fun!

I hope you have a wonderful snowy mountains experience.

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

These links are an overview of Perisherr and Thedbo. They are a bit out of date because the lazy members of this forum will not give a few minutes back to the people who give them their playground, but c'est la vie.

If you have no expectations you will not be disappointed. Just go with the intention of having fun and enjoying a unique experience.

6. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Its the only place in the world to ski in gum trees, so I advise, ski in gum trees! Pretty good chance I will be in Thredbo Sun-Wed so PM me if you would like a tele guide to show you the hill.

piolet likes this.
  7. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I suggest that if you have a penchant for international fast food comparisons then the bacon and egg roll with BBQ sauce is the one to hit in SE Oz.

Telecrag is a great ski buddy, you could do worse than take him up on an offer of a hill guide for an hour or three.

Enjoy your trip!

LMB likes this.
  8. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can't take just any hire car to thredbo :-(

If you have already booked check with them if they allow it. If the say no to above the snow line then your choice really is to drive to the ski tube and catch it up to Perisher.

Did you get a package (with lifts tickets etc) with your accomodation at the Station?

9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Your timing is brilliant. Starting tonight it will snow most days for a week. By the time you're there, we should have heaps of snow :)

Ozgirl likes this.
  10. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just need to tell them where you are going and ask them to waive that condition. They may charge more to allow you to do this. In any case, its only an issue if you damage the car.

11. weerab

weerab One of Us

That's a great offer Tele, hope they take it up. Also agree they could not have timed it any better.

12. mountainaddict

Thanks to all for the replies, hints & tips - what a friendly & helpful lot you all are :thumbs:

In response:

- We may well take up the very kind offer of meeting up for a spot of ski guiding - ta for that.
    - Hire car JUST booked today - ie before I saw the info. re use beyond the snowline(!). Hire is with a company called East Coast, from Sydney Airport. I'll try & contact them. If no joy, the hire is cancellable without penalty. If it comes to that, which companies WILL allow us to drive up to the snow?? (EDIT: Looks like all if I just tell them what we are planning).
    - We have zero expectations; will travel (as ever) with an open mind; & will make the best of whatever's on offer....Side of a hill; a bit of snow; a few turns - beats work! We just love to ski & love trying anywhere new. It's just a real bonus to be having a few winter ski days in a European summer.
    - Yippee! Great news re. the weather forecast!
    - No package booked via The Station (yet) as we were waiting to check out the snow conditions before deciding where to ski. I think they may have e mailed us to say discount tickets are available if booked more than 7 days in advance - so that could still be a go-er.

More Qs:
    - Are we talking busy roads/bad traffic from Jindabyne every day of the week? Or just weekends?
    - What's the road like? Just wondering - I've done lots of snowy driving with/without chains on twisty European mountain roads.
    - Does Jindabyne generally have snow? Should we be adding snow boots to our (bulging) luggage?

Cheers!

#12 mountainaddict, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  13. dawooduck

Traffic should be fine dependant on road conditions. Aussies cannot drive in rain let alone snow.

If the road to Perisher is snowy then drive to the Skitube (google that) and catch the train. Skitube is on the Thredbo Road.

The road to Thredbo is an excellent B road along a picturesque valley. The road to Perisher much the same but travels over a higher route and is fine unless covered in snow and Aussie drivers. Unless we get an exceptional storm Thredbo Road will be dry. Perisher Road can have snow on the last few kms.

99% of the year Jindabyne is fine and sunny with no snow. People wear shorts in winter on the warmer days. No snow boots required.

Check in the day before you leave and we can update.

If you can obtain accommodation in Jindabyne that IMHO will be a nicer visit than The Station ... which is a bunch of 2 star yurts in a sheep paddock.

#13 dawooduck, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    cqen2l, Ted Harper and telecrag like this.
  14. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Will also be at Thredbo same time with the uther arf so can ,like Tele c, assist... pm or will keep an eye out for all of you.Or catch for ale. Hope you enjoy your hols.

15. telecrag

^mini sic! I think there are a few of us about that week. Now if someone can show them around Perisher at that time too…..I skied Perisher a few times, and enjoyed it, but being shown around by someone that knows their hill (thanks Pini and TP) gives you a much better feel.

16. telecrag

This in spades, its feral. Probably fun if you are under 20. It is very cheap however.

17. dawooduck

I am lodging in PB that weekend with TBC and some of the rock star crew. Dovetailed between work n play, I cannot assist with guided tours. :)

18. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Re the hire car, I wouldn't ring them. Are the terms and conditions available anywhere. If it is not mentioned there then just drive it.

Also re the big companies it's not that simple as telling them where you are going. I gave up on the renting a car option when I needed it a few years ago. I need to drive to the resort.

The WA crew will have more info on it @gareth_oau and @Lady Mamabear

19. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If the car is booked through Avis, they have a snow package

http://www.avis.com.au/car-rental/d...ls-au-AU_en-022695/snow-packages-AU_en-025012

Ozgirl likes this.
  20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Europcar are all good. I use them exclusively from Canberra Airport.

Ozgirl likes this.
  21. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

the best one for car rental is europcar.com.au

they include a "Snow Cover" which allows you to take the care about the snowline and (i think) includes a set of chains

Its up yo you if you want to risk it, but without the cover, if you crash it above the snowline, there is no insurance cover.

22. mountainaddict

Thanks again all!

Feral accommodation (aka The Station) is already paid for - so that sounds (ahem) interesting :crap:....

Will just have to make the best of it.

Re. the car hire: It was booked through a UK broker so has come up with a non-mainstream operator called East Coast Cars. I still think I will ring or email them as it's cancellable without penalty up to 24hrs before hire. Could then switch to someone like Avis or Europcar, as has been recommended - don't want to be chancing it with no insurance (especially now it's been mentioned about the mental local drivers...;)).

23. despot721

despot721 One of Us

Mtnaddict, if you've booked the station, its owned by the "perisher" group. They own the skitube also. On their website its states you must have purchased a lift ticket for perisher blue and present it on check in. Have a look at their site under faq, then under general. There is a link called " can I ski at thredbo".
    After that you can ski where ever you want (perisher or thredbo).
    I think you"ll have a great time, just dont mention the first ashes test at Cardiff. :thumbs:

24. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Take the ski tube. I reckon it is part of the attraction of Perisher!

25. gareth_oau

yes, if you take the ski tube then you arent going above the snowline in your car so insurance isnt an issue. you leave your car parked at ski tube terminal

We have always used the car because we visit both Thredbo and Perisher, but if your plan is to only visit Perisher then the car is not so critical

#25 gareth_oau, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  26. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah take the ski tube all the way to Blue Cow just for the experience of getting off a train and walking out the doors onto the snow..

27. Apresski

He's from the UK, if he skis in Europe he would have plenty of experience getting off trains directly onto snow.

28. dawooduck

The Skitube is a 2 star yurt with wheels and no central heating.

LMB, telecrag and Telemark Phat like this.
  29. mountainaddict

Thanks again all!

Despot121: That's interesting about The Station & compulsory lift ticket purchase at Perisher.

We booked at Booking.com - just checked and no mention of that whatsoever under their section on hotel policies/booking conditions.

Wow. Bit odd that. Have to say, we've skied all over the world and I've never heard anything quite like it! Would have believed it if I'd heard something like that in relation to a hotel in Sochi - or maybe the new ski resort that's being developed in Nth Korea....:confused:

This skiing in Oz lark is turning into a bit of a challenge:
    - Hire cars that you can't drive in the snow.
    - Hotels that force you to go skiing (what if I'd booked a surprise stay for my 88 year old mother??)

Still, could be worse Despot - we could have been hammered in the Ashes on top of all of this :whistle:!! (Long way to go - no chickens being counted at this stage...)

telecrag likes this.
  30. Apresski

Should have gone to Falls Creek and stayed on mountain:evil:

qwill likes this.
  31. Legs Akimbo

I think a quiet mention of the ACCC might put an end to that. Third line forcing is a no no.

32. telecrag

Lucky you are not going to Victoria! They make it even harder down there, ironically especially Buller.

Perisher own the Station, so its a closed shop. If you have a day ticket at Perisher, you get the cheapest rate, but I didn't think you actually had to have one. When i stayed there it was with a group of friends, 6 share. Skied one day at Perisher, so the room was $25 each i think. We ended up driving into Jindy for dinner, and skied Thredbo the following day.

It was all good, until two of us woke up suddenly, as one of the girls shrieked, 'Shut the F up' at the kids in the neighbouring room at 2am. The other guy had just returned from a backpacking trip, and had earplugs in so slept through. All the girls had been awake. After that I had a hard time getting to sleep, listening to maybe 18-20 year old drunk girls next door. If I had been even 10 years younger i would have gone over.

33. mountainaddict

Er, what's the ACCC? (Australian Cricket Contemplating Catastrophe LOL??) - I might mention it if I knew what it was :confused:...

And what's 'Third line forcing?' Apologies but I'm either being a bit thick or that one's lost in translation...

So....do we or do we not need to show a lift ticket on check in at The Station?!(Which sounds like many a rowdy camp site we've stayed on - I AM that individual who ends up shouting 'Will you shut the **** up :zzz:.' Best pack our ear plugs eh?..)

Anyway, as we are planning to ski at Perisher at some point in our three day jaunt, I might just buy a ticket online in advance of arrival.

34. Legs Akimbo

Australian Consumer and Competition Commission. (Actual word order may be different).

Third line forcing is a form of exclusive dealing involving the supply of goods or services on the condition that the purchaser buys goods or services from a particular third party, or a refusal to supply because the purchaser will not agree to that condition.

35. dawooduck

Touche ...

Just ignore all the anal Aussie stuff and come on down. It's easy, credit card in one hand and smile, just like skiing everywhere. Bonus .... there is snow. :)

36. gareth_oau

As you are staying in Jindy, and there is no "requirement" to buy a Perisher lift ticket, then also think about spending a day at Thredbo

37. despot721

despot721 One of Us

Mtnaddict,
    I wouldnt lose too much sleep over the ticket thing. If you were already planning on going to perisher, just grab an on line ticket and you'll be fine. After you check in, you can go and do whatever you want. They wont know or care. Like all companies they dont want you going and spending money with their competitor. I didnt want you booking all thredbo and arrive to have some smart arse at check in forcing you to buy more tickets.
    The station is fine you'll be right. Im taking a group from work in Aug, its basic but does the job. Quieter mid week but can get noiser on weekends as others have said. I rang them about the ticket thing, as some in my group dont ski or board (weirdos) and as long as some in the group have a perisher ticket or buy the "snow experience" ticket all is fine. They wont ever ask or know what you do after that. Ski both places, do and see as much as you can and accept that its expensive here and have a ball. I do. (Looking forward to Lords, watson out marsh in):thumbs:

38. dawooduck

The "buy a PB ticket to stay at the Station" thing is nonsense, sorry but it is.

39. blutek

blutek One of Us

The skitube operates from Bullocks Flat to Perisher (front valley) and then on to Blue Cow mountain.
    If you drive up; with a lift ticket, you can travel on the skitube between Perisher and Blue Cow (however, most ski over). On a clear day, the views from Blue Cow and Guthega are impressive.
    There are many Tbar tows at Perisher. Happy Valley T can get crowded as it's a popular egress route.

#39 blutek, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  40. despot721

despot721 One of Us

100% agree but its their policy, not mine. I don't work for perisher or thredbo.
    Only mentioned as i did the same as mtnaddict, booked first, then one in my group asked about the no thredbo thing. I laughed and said that's bs. So rang them. Just passing info.

41. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We would not reccommend a surprise stay at the station for an 88 year old. :eek:ROFL

Ozgirl likes this.
  42. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

That ticket thing has to be against the Trade Practices Act.

43. telecrag

Im pretty sure you just get a better price with the ticket.

44. Telemark Phat

Can I ski at Thredbo?
    No. All guests staying at The Station must have or purchase a valid Perisher lift ticket or snow experience ticket upon check in.
    source

45. telecrag

Wow. That is asking for it. So, if I stay at the Alpine Hotel, can I ski at Perisher?

46. dawooduck

No such conditions on any booking site

47. despot721

despot721 One of Us

48. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

That's dirty tactics.

49. gareth_oau

They can't actually stop you, by law, or even common sense.

However, they could sell you a perisher ticket as part of the fixed accommodation cost.

Its not like they even load you into a caged bus and drive ypu up to Perisher against your will - you have to make your own way up there. do they have snipers who take out wayward lodgers who take the wrong turn at the Alpine Way?

Their policy and advertising must be against Trade Practices Law. I'm surprised nobody has challenged it yet.

50. Telemark Phat

Kodak used to sell their film with development paid for, but they had to stop after a challenge using the TPA.