1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tips for First Ski Trip to Australia

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by mountainaddict, Jul 9, 2015.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

true, but if the accommodation (which now happens to be $100/d more expensive) included a free lift ticket at Perisher, then its up to you if you actually use that freebie or not

2. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That is gold! ROFLROFL Problem is there are people who would not know better and would think they had to ski Perisher. Since they have no way of enforcing it I wonder if it would must fall under "smart business practice". It is amazing what the courts have found to fall under that.

3. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

You can ask the ACCC for an exemption. All you have to do is send them a letter.

4. mountainaddict

mountainaddict Early Days

Thanks to all for the informative and highly entertaining :) responses. Some updates for you:
    - We're planning on driving up from Canberra (after staying with mates) early on the morning of Sunday 26 Jul for 3 days' skiing. As we don't check in at The Station until that night, we can ski (problem and coercion free!) at Thredbo that day. We can then follow that up with 2 days at Perisher - and probably buy their discounted tickets via the Station in advance.
    - Bad news on the hire car that we've booked via East Coast Cars at Sydney Airport. Their FAQs state categorically that travel above the snowline is forbidden - in fact it says you can't go beyond Jindabyne.
    - Good news on the car hire (!). It's cancellable free of charge - so I can book with Avis or Europcar, who allow snowy travel (at a supplement).
    - Regardless, we may have a go on the Skitube for the experience.

I'm so glad I signed up to this forum - it's saved us the nightmare scenario of turning up at the rental desk to find we couldn't drive to the skiing. Cheers everyone!

So does two days at Thredbo and one at Perisher sound a good bet? Should I buy tickets in advance? Or do you get frequent storm bound days (like we do at the Scottish ski areas - you daren't book accommodation or tickets in advance...) that could mean we've wasted our money?

Anyone hired kit from Jindysnow? Seemingly decent prices & 20% online discount.

And finally: any sign of more terrain opening??

Really looking forward to it all - we know it's expensive; we're travelling with an open mind; we just love skiing anywhere; we'll make the best of whatever's on offer; and we'll probably love it! :cheers:

#54 mountainaddict, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    LMB, Angus_McCrory and Ozgirl like this.
  5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nope, in my lifetime in have never know Jindy (or the resorts) to be inaccessible due to snow.

Actually there was this one time when i was kid... back up plans were made but never used!

6. double_J

double_J Hard Yards

My tips.. Grab your board / Planks, get in vehicle, head to Ski Max at Mertlford , Get Chains Resort entry there, and head up. Only tip worth knowing is stay on the piest leave the fresh for me Yeah..!! :) enjoy #thinksnow

7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

maybe start with just ..... #think

telecrag likes this.
  8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, and you have the right attitude to have a good time, so you will!

Ozgirl likes this.
  9. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

With their tranny they had their own process, so you still had to send it, it caught me out once with an assignment at uni.

10. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'd say it's an excellent reason not to stay there.

11. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

I'd stayed at the Station Last year, and yes it it basic but for the price it was pretty awesome (it was very cheap). I was there mid week and didn't have any issues with noise. They also do dinner ($20) and breakfast ($13) if you want it and for the price I thought was quite good. Saves going into Jindabye for dinner.

I hired my gear from The Shed Ski Hire in Jindabyne and they were really good. They were one of a few places recommended by people on this site.

12. marni-rae

marni-rae Hard Yards

I found the jindysnow people really good - it was a tiny setup, so I didn't think their selection was as big as some hire places, but the people were super helpful and really willing to work with us to find bearable boots, even though my whole family is pretty difficult to fit.

We also had a pretty okay stay at the Station, although I've heard of people having really noisy neighbours, and the walls are really thin. It was pretty basic, and someone snapped off the back windscreen wipers off 2 of our cars, presumably on purpose (one sounds like an accident, but 2?), but it was okay overall.

And the drive up the mountain is really nice/easy - I was a bit terrified to drive because I'd only been to ski fields in Europe/New Zealand and thought it would be like that, but it was actually really pleasant and easy, no hairpin bends and hardly any ice. A few drivers overtook at stupid times, but I was much more worried about wildlife than other drivers.

13. mountainaddict

Thanks again all!

The Mountainaddict Has Landed! Arrived in pleasantly cool Sydney last night after 2 cracking (but very hot and humid days in Hong Kong).
    We've got touristy stuff, mountain biking and visiting mates in Canberra over the next few days - before we hit the snow on Sunday. Loved the Blue Mountains today (temperature inversion/stunning views above the clouds) and even saw some (almost melted) snowmen up there - but can't wait for our maiden runs on Aussie snow.

Trip report to follow at some point.

K_Bird, JayDee78, LMSM and 8 others like this.
  14. JayDee78

JayDee78 One of Us

You've timed your trip quite well.

K_Bird likes this.
  15. Fafnir

Fafnir First Runs

So..how did it go, and what are your conclusions? Being British myself, and having brought seasoned British skiers up to Perisher/Thredbo, I'm interested in how you found it.

16. mountainaddict

Fafnia's post had prompted me to finally respond....How time flies when you are getting round to posting a trip report!

Well...We absolutely LOVED our first Oz ski trip!! Details as follows:

Thredbo - Raining at the bottom when we arrived for our one day there, turning the overnight fresh to slush. Fresh snow but poor visibility higher up - overall conditions were excellent, in fact really impressive - fantastic to go from UK summer to full-on winter. Impressed by the lift system, pleasantly surprised by the available vertical - but (on a poor viz day) route finding was tricky at times. Signposting was, as far as we could see in the whiteout conditions , virtually non-existent in places meaning it's find your own way - which was pretty challenging. Got the impression that it would be quite easy to get lost...The visibility improved a bit and we had a great day. Particularly loved the fact that you can more or less just ski where you like - great off piste among the gum trees. Had a look round Thredbo Village afterwards. Quite impressed - it's like a small North American ski resort.

Not impressed by the over-reaction to road conditions on the drive back to Jindabyne though - a minor covering of slush in the middle of the road but chains were required to be fitted. I've driven extensively in Europe in snow but have never had to fit chains in what I woukd say was no snow. It would have been perfectly safe without them - we were basically driving on tarmac with chains.

We were also impressed by Perisher - extensive area and, again, fantastic snow conditions. Like Thredbo, signposting wasn't as good as we would have liked and the trail map is difficult to translate for on the snow route finding. For example, from the restaurant at Blue Cow it isn't easy to find how to get to Guthega - we ended up having to ask directions. We parked at Smiggins, which was great for access to the slopes - a great set up.

In terms of accommodation, we enjoyed our stay at The Station at Jindabyne. A decent standard of accommodation, good facilities and no problems with noise or disturbance.

Overall, a fantastic trip of a lifetime to Oz - not just the skiing, we went all over. Already planning on returning!

The skiing was just different to anywhere we've been before - great snow so just loved it. The size of the areas was on a par with smaller areas of Europe - but overall, Oz was fantastic. We are easily pleased where skiing is concerned - but it all probably exceeded our expectations.

IAB, Apresski, cold wombat and 5 others like this.
  17. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Excellent! Glad you had fun out here and that you experienced Oz skiing in decent conditions. Not many of your friends back home will have done that!!

18. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

LOL
    You'll be one of a few non-Aussies to be able to say "Yes! Australia does get snow, and I've skied it!"

Ozgirl likes this.
  19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There's nothing better than having your expectations exceeded when travelling (or doing anything I suppose). Of course, having the right attitude in the first place helps!

20. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fantastic to hear that you had a geat time. Post some pics and tell your friends.

The chains are because we all use summer tyres and have little to no clues/experience iwirh sriving in wintry slippery conditions

21. weerab

weerab One of Us

Glad you enjoyed your skiing downunder. Sure beats skiing in the UK, doesn't it? I went to Aviemore years back and didn't see a thing, weather was atrocious.

22. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Better than skiing in Scotland?

;)

:out:

23. mountainaddict

Er, can someone tell me how to post pics on here? Would be delighted to if I could work it out....:confused:

In terms of Oz vs UK skiing: We have skied extensively in Scotland for over 25 years. Ski areas (there are five) are small in comparison to the big areas of the European Alps but offer a very meaningful ski with verticals of between 200 and 600m. One area has over 20 lifts.

Lifts across the areas vary between antiquated single seat chairs, more modern chairs, to lots of drag lifts, one gondola and a funicular railway. So pretty decent for getting you up the hill.

At least one of the areas usually has a very long season, generally with snow from Nov - late April, with Oct and May skiing not unknown and ski touring available at altitude into June.

There are some great steep runs - a lot steeper than anything we found on piste at Thredbo or Perisher - and some great ski touring terrain. So all in all, Scotland has a lot going for it, although Alpine afficionados may find it all rather rustic and antiquated.

Despite the fairly reliable snow, the big variable is the UK's maritime climate. While big Atlantic storms coupled with wind blasting down from the Arctic can dump snow on the Scottish Highlands, a change in position of the storm can whip in warm south westerlies with rain - producing a jet wash effect that decimates the snow. The other big question mark is the wind - Britain's highest wind speed (of around 200mph if I recall correctly) was recorded at the top of one of the Scottish ski areas.

Historically, the ski areas are storm bound about one day in 6 or 7 - but this can happen for a few days on end. That means you daren't book a trip too far in advance (think more than 2 days) until you have checked the forecast. We have learned from bitter experience that you disregard the forecast at your peril. We live 5hrs drive away and have wasted trips up to the Highlands and endured skiing in 40mph+ headwinds. Not much fun at all...

However, when Scotland is good it's very very good - we've had a fair few days of powder and blue sky over the years and really look forward to getting up there as much as we can each winter. In May just gone we ski toured on a bluebird powder day after the resort we were visiting had closed - perfect!

So, all very different to Australia but very worthwhile nonetheless :thumbs:.

24. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Glad you had a successful trip to Oz, next time you venture this far you should possibly consider taking a trip over to New Zealand, there are plenty of threads on here about it.
    Where do you live? I grew up in The Midlands, mainly in the Lichfield area.

25. mountainaddict

I'm a Durham lad, living on Teesside. NZ is on our to do list....along with loads of other places(!). Problem is never enough holidays....never enough money! We need to win the lottery! Just booked a week in Tignes in January (love it there) & will probably warm up with an Austrian glacier trip in November. Plus another week somewhere in spring and as many trips to Scotland as conditions and time permit ;).

weerab and Apresski like this.