Opinion To rent or bring boards

Parkesyau

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2014
Okay I am sure I will get a whole variety of responses for and against but after some opinions.
Our 5 week Canada/USA trip is 6 months away spending about 9 days in Banff and LL area so will be skiing there for sure for 4-5 days I imagine.
Also booked 8 nights or just solid skiing/boarding after Banff (booked sun peaks and whistler because we still can’t decide haha)

kids are beginners really ( but we have majority of clothing for them) so will need to hire skis boots poles and helmets for them.

My questions :::: Do we take our boards or rent?

They are older than the kids (13 years at least) and we love our boards (burton custom and a GNU bstreet) but the absolute logistics of a snowboard bag is not much fun.
We did it just the two of us in Japan in 2015 and was an absolute breeze, however there will be a lot more in and out of Ubers and transiting through Calgary and Vancouver, rental cars, hotel shuttles etc
the tail end of our holiday is lugging it to LA and Anaheim for 9 nights.

We now have two kids in tow which means more luggage.

What do you guys generally do for these long haul trips? Airline won’t be an issue all flighrs booked with FF and baggage included (including westjet it seems)

Priced it out and for a weeks rental in BC plus let’s say another week in Banff area I may as well buy a board works out to about $300-$400 a week per board. But I am so torn by just the inconvenience of a board bag, plus kids and all their suitcases.
Our boardbag is actually great, has wheels and can usually fit all the boards bindings, two helmets ski pants jackets etc ( basically becomes a 25kg bag)

The alternative is cough up the $$ take a few easy to manage suitcases and take our boots only

Thoughts? Especially those with kids? Kids are 11 and 13 so def can help
A bit more but just the logistics of a massive long bag is what I dread

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Prices are a lot lower in Canada to buy that you would expect to pay here, and the range is also far greater..

But renting is still an expensive outlay.

If you dont want to carry gear around, thaen consider buying at the resort, and then put them on consignment when finished and sell them

Theres a shop in kamloops https://www.consignorsports.com/ you can leave your gear for sale and then collect the cash next time you visit

and definitely take your boots (or buy new onces - rentals really are ordinary compared to your own.

Parkesyau

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2014
100% boots are coming regardless. I’ve had years of shit snowboard boots and finally have an amazing pair I am not going to even attemp renting.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I’ve been travelling overseas with skis since my kids were younger than yours. Solo. We always took all our own gear (kids too). When they were too young to be much use (with heavy bags) I’d get all 3 sets of skis and whatever else would fit, into a double ski bag. Eldest would take a large suitcase with boots, helmets and whatever else would fit. And youngest a smaller suitcase with whatever else would fit. Was interesting on stairs/escalators in Tokyo station with a 7 and 10 year old. So good when they were old enough to take their own ski bags.

The trick is to not take excess stuff. Lay all your clothes out and then put half of them back in the cupboard. If you’re skiing all day, one change of clothes for evenings is enough. Stay places with washing machines, take a clothesline to string up. Heating will dry them over night. Take merino. Buy toiletries when you get there. Remember that you’ll likely buy souvenir hoodies etc, so take less with you.

So painful travelling with small kids, but the memories will stick with them forever.

Parkesyau

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2014
I’ve been travelling overseas with skis since my kids were younger than yours. Solo. We always took all our own gear (kids too). When they were too young to be much use (with heavy bags) I’d get all 3 sets of skis and whatever else would fit, into a double ski bag. Eldest would take a large suitcase with boots, helmets and whatever else would fit. And youngest a smaller suitcase with whatever else would fit. Was interesting on stairs/escalators in Tokyo station with a 7 and 10 year old. So good when they were old enough to take their own ski bags.

The trick is to not take excess stuff. Lay all your clothes out and then put half of them back in the cupboard. If you’re skiing all day, one change of clothes for evenings is enough. Stay places with washing machines, take a clothesline to string up. Heating will dry them over night. Take merino. Buy toiletries when you get there. Remember that you’ll likely buy souvenir hoodies etc, so take less with you.

So painful travelling with small kids, but the memories will stick with them forever.
So I shouldn’t complain my kids are 11 and 13 I have to put them to work

Reactions: Roymond and RustyJ
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Ok so caveat - I take my skis as I Tele and hiring gear is hard so I have never considered the alternative and just made it work.

To be honest as @gareth_oau jumped on this thread first I’m surprised he didn’t roll out the photo of the ski bags in Vancouver airport!

To your question, we have always taken our own gear, initially spacing the younger kids gear in our bags and on our last trip we had a bag each, four ski bags each with skis boots helmet and ski gear). My youngest was 8 at the time.

Moving about is easier with lighter bags so we have a duffle each on the back for clothes, tow a ski bag and have a small carry on bag.

It does take some planning though!

We have done similar trips to what you are planning including San Fran, Yosemite, Skiing and Disney on a trip, we have also done Calgary and Banff on others.

In LA, you can arrange a private pick up to Anaheim for about $100 (from memory), we advised on the bags upfront so they sent the right car. We pick hotels that can store bags and use bag bnb for periods where we want to leave the ski bags for periods of site seeing.

I look for locations for night one that have airport pick up with the idea being they can get us and the skis to the hotel or if hiring a car early I look to store the bags asap.

With hire cars be careful as some won’t have ski racks (you have to ask) and if they do, the racks won’t always lock. We also choose ski bags that role up (the douchebags) so that we can put the skis on the roof and easily fold up the ski bags in the boot - we carry a few blue ikea bags to keep the boot tidy.

For our upcoming Trip gear storage at Vancouver airport is reasonable so we will drop the bags for two days, go to our hotel and spend two days in Vancouver, once we get the car we will pick up the skis and move on.

For your trip you could do the same at Calgary before picking up the car or just organise use the right pickup.

Anaheim is easy just arrange an airport pick up (private isn’t a lot more than the bus for a family), LA won’t allow long storage at the airport - I assume security.

Reactions: gareth_oau

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Ok so caveat - I take my skis as I Tele and hiring gear is hard so I have never considered the alternative and just made it work.

To be honest as @gareth_oau jumped on this thread first I’m surprised he didn’t roll out the photo of the ski bags in Vancouver airport!

To your question, we have always taken our own gear, initially spacing the younger kids gear in our bags and on our last trip we had a bag each, four ski bags each with skis boots helmet and ski gear). My youngest was 8 at the time.

Moving about is easier with lighter bags so we have a duffle each on the back for clothes, tow a ski bag and have a small carry on bag.

We have done similar trips to what you are planning including San Fran, Yosemite, Skiing and Disney on a trip, we have also done Calgary and Banff on others.

In LA, you can arrange a private pick up to Anaheim for about $100 (from memory), we advised on the bags upfront so they sent the right car. We pick hotels that can store bags and use bag bnb for periods where we want to leave the ski bags for periods of site seeing.

I look for locations for night one that have airport pick up with the idea being they can get us and the skis to the hotel or if hiring a car early I look to store the bags asap.

With hire cars be careful as some won’t have ski racks (you have to ask) and if they do, the racks won’t always lock. We also choose ski bags that role up (the douchebags) so that we can put the skis on the roof and easily fold up the ski bags in the boot - we carry a few blue ikea bags to keep the boot tidy.

For our upcoming Trip gear storage at Vancouver airport is reasonable so we will drop the bags for two days, go to our hotel and spend two days in Vancouver, once we get the car we will pick up the skis and move on.

For your trip you could do the same at Calgary before picking up the car or just organise use the right pickup.

Anaheim is easy just arrange an airport pick up (private isn’t a lot more than the bus for a family), LA won’t allow long storage at the airport - I assume security.
There ya go

I consider my snow gear as a badge of honour and pride at the airport and shows I’m not heading off to bali with my boardies and mullet

9A3490F0-D258-4ACB-8960-2DC62A72694E.jpeg

Parkesyau

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2014

Oh wow okay this is so detailed and so perfect (and so do-able). I think I put the kids to work and pack super light. I’ve been good in strategically planning things that make dragging a board bat around easier ( got the SUV so bag goes down the middle or side. Will use airport hotels with shuttles, Anaheim I’ll get the private transfer as suggested.

I’ve priced out hiring two boards for about two weeks and at $1200ish with insurance I would rather just buy two new boards over there I actually mentioned that to hubby this evening and he said “yes let’s buy boards there our 12 year old boards are too old”
Oh gosh this is getting more expensive by the second. I can only imagine they aren’t going to be any cheaper.
Gareth your bags are awesome and slim. Our board bag has wheels but from memory when I took it to Japan we loaded all our ski gear in in including two boards bindings boots clothing helmets etc and got it to about 25kg. I really do need to strategically plan this out I think. Man kids are expensive

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
The DB bags have wheels as well, they were designed by a pro skier because he didn’t like what was on offer.

Personally I think they are the best ski bags due to their versatility.

Reactions: LMB

Parkesyau

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2014
The DB bags have wheels as well, they were designed by a pro skier because he didn’t like what was on offer.

Personally I think they are the best ski bags due to their versatility.
Oh so good. Fit snowboards too? Love the fact they roll up.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Oh so good. Fit snowboards too? Love the fact they roll up.
Yep. I had my regular ride and my splitboard in mine on the way back from the US, as well as a heap of other stuff. After about 8yrs heavy and abusive use one zip is stuck, so it’s time for a new bag. Hey @CarveMan, you got any stock?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Oh wow okay this is so detailed and so perfect (and so do-able). I think I put the kids to work and pack super light. I’ve been good in strategically planning things that make dragging a board bat around easier ( got the SUV so bag goes down the middle or side. Will use airport hotels with shuttles, Anaheim I’ll get the private transfer as suggested.

I’ve priced out hiring two boards for about two weeks and at $1200ish with insurance I would rather just buy two new boards over there I actually mentioned that to hubby this evening and he said “yes let’s buy boards there our 12 year old boards are too old”
Oh gosh this is getting more expensive by the second. I can only imagine they aren’t going to be any cheaper.
Gareth your bags are awesome and slim. Our board bag has wheels but from memory when I took it to Japan we loaded all our ski gear in in including two boards bindings boots clothing helmets etc and got it to about 25kg. I really do need to strategically plan this out I think. Man kids are expensive
The douchebags roll down to match the length of your skis/board or kmakes them longer to take more gear. your only limit is the luggage weight limit

and kids?

These are mine!!

56A9A2C3-A85D-4BD3-B2E2-B0690779DCB3.jpeg

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
This^^^ without over selling the DB’s they are great as they grow with the kids gear so you don’t get the sag.

For reference our then 13 handled her bag fine I helped the then 7.

I can’t help with boards but with skis one set sit flat on the bottom of the bag and one set against the side walls, boots at each end of the skis, we put the helmets over the bindings. And pad out the bag with jackets. Thermals in other bag.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I managed the twin tip on the base and spilt board split into skis on the side wall. But I have packed 3 regular boards into one before. Lesson from that trip was pack puffy jackets between the boards where the stomp pads are attached before otherwise you’ll have some base repair to do :oops:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Also if you keep en eye on the forum for people doing similar trips you can you can set up a private message and share info.

I did this with @Lady Penelope on my first Canada trip and we shared info as we went which was super useful. I remember bitching about my high beam lights and lady p calmly reminded me to clean them.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Some great advice here. My 10c worth. Air Canada (and apparently some of the other airlines flying the Aus - North America route) will now only allow one 23kg bag per person. It’s not easy to fit everything including your ski gear, boots, helmet, and everyday clothes into one bag! So be prepared to fork out an extra $CAD100 each way for a ski/board bag. I have a Dakine double ski bag with wheels that I swear by - highly durable and capable of withstanding all the rough treatment by baggage handlers. We fit 3 pairs of skis and poles into that plus some clothing wrapped around the skis for protection.

Otherwise all the gear goes into suitcases. One case per person which includes ski boots, helmet, ski outer wear, everyday clothing and so on. Last trip to Canada I hired a RAV4 which was fine for the three of us with 4 bags - just folded down one back seat and slid the ski bag in there.

ADEA01E1-8AC6-4933-8C71-711A89D7EC3E.jpeg

I think the take home here is the relative cost of packing and bringing your own gear vs the cost of hiring which adds up, especially if you’re travelling to different resorts.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Some great advice here. My 10c worth. Air Canada (and apparently some of the other airlines flying the Aus - North America route) will now only allow one 23kg bag per person. It’s not easy to fit everything including your ski gear, boots, helmet, and everyday clothes into one bag! So be prepared to fork out an extra $CAD100 each way for a ski/board bag. I have a Dakine double ski bag with wheels that I swear by - highly durable and capable of withstanding all the rough treatment by baggage handlers. We fit 3 pairs of skis and poles into that plus some clothing wrapped around the skis for protection.

Otherwise all the gear goes into suitcases. One case per person which includes ski boots, helmet, ski outer wear, everyday clothing and so on. Last trip to Canada I hired a RAV4 which was fine for the three of us with 4 bags - just folded down one back seat and slid the ski bag in there.

ADEA01E1-8AC6-4933-8C71-711A89D7EC3E.jpeg

I think the take home here is the relative cost of packing and bringing your own gear vs the cost of hiring which adds up, especially if you’re travelling to different resorts.
Yep I think all airlines to North America allow only one bag now (without paying extra).

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
if you are buying over there, can you post/courier them home at the end of your stay. years ago we posted boots and some other ski gear home from austria

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
This^^^ without over selling the DB’s they are great as they grow with the kids gear so you don’t get the sag.

For reference our then 13 handled her bag fine I helped the then 7.

I can’t help with boards but with skis one set sit flat on the bottom of the bag and one set against the side walls, boots at each end of the skis, we put the helmets over the bindings. And pad out the bag with jackets. Thermals in other bag.
If I want the bag to be longer than my skis/board, to avoid sag, I stagger/overlap them in the bag and strap them together to make a longer spine to support the bag

Reactions: Captain Caveman

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yep. I had my regular ride and my splitboard in mine on the way back from the US, as well as a heap of other stuff. After about 8yrs heavy and abusive use one zip is stuck, so it’s time for a new bag. Hey @CarveMan, you got any stock?
We do now:

• Love
Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass