To Selwyn or not...

site2c

First Runs
Aug 10, 2009
Hey guys.

I've never skied Selwyn before and really had no interest until i met this wonderful girl, who tried skiing last year for 5 days for the first time. She wants to go skiing this month (and the next and the next!!). I instantly thought of Selwyn.

Having read this forum in relation to Selwyn i have noticed that it is a begginers/ family resort. The vibe on this forum is very friendly and it seems that way in the resort too. I will go to Selwyn one day, it just might not be this weekend...

I've already posted a similar post in the Perisher forums (see https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/995684&page=0#Post995684), but would be grateful for any further input from you guys.

I am an intermediate/ advanced skier (15+years). I love the long runs at thredbo. Love the burn in the legs at the end of a long run. I know i will not get anything comprable in terms of height at Selwyn or Perisher. My girlfriend has skied 5 days in NZ last year. She had lessons everyday day.

I just got a deal at the Perisher Valley Hotel (on the snow in perisher) for $188 per room per night. Pretty fantastic when considering that the closest i can get for accommodation near Selwyn for reasonable (non-family/ children) self contained accommodation is about $140 per night.

The main things i am concerned about at the moment is the snow and lack of it by this weekend (damn i hope that system will crap down snow and not rain tomorrow night) and the amount of runs open. Obviously I know that Perisher are a long way away from opening up the mountain. I really want to know how long it will take Selwyn to open Racecourse or the Powerline Poma. The cams look like there is enough there…

The thing I really like about Selwyn (not having been there) is the gentleness of the slopes ( I cannot even image taking my girlfriend up the mountain from Friday Flat – she would freak at this transition) and the fact that they snow make on almost all the trails. I like Perisher for this weekend because the slope on Front Valley looks about as challenging as Township and New Chum and i get to stay on the snow for little $s. As for the price of lift tickets Perisher will decide if they will continue their $120/ 2 days lift prices this Saturday (i.e. they run out on Friday). I cannot believe that i can ski Selwyn for $98 for 2 days - even if its only for a 3 lifts and short runs.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
When heading to Selwyn you are better off to head down later in the season... first few weeks of August are usually pretty good. They are usually the last to get the snow and the first to lose it... after skiing there for many years that seems to be the general thread. having said that though I have spent many great days there in June/July... but that is after watching the cams and seeing the snow puking from the heavens and heading down that night for a ski the next day... what is a 5 hour drive between friends hey!

It is family/beginner orientated... but those of us who have been skiing for ages are there to spend time with family and friends... If you are having a "go hard or go home" kind of day then if they can't keep up head somewhere else for the day and catch up that night... thats what tends to work for us!

If you pop on over @ any stage of the season I hope you enjoy your time!

IAB

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
The Shire, Sydney
site2c - here's a couple of pics taken this weekend just gone that I posted in the "Selwyn Conditions" thread. As far as I'm aware Selwyn is currently the only resort in Oz with everything open. It's a great beginners resort, or for a short trip to get the rust out of those ski legs!

Plum Pine:

4808669474_d9f059bfe0_b.jpg

Racecourse:

4808669468_84216536fa_b.jpg

Long Arm:

4808669464_d7a7e70b73_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

site2c

First Runs
Aug 10, 2009
nice pics IAB. thanks for posting. I think i'm heading down there next weekend. The only reason i would not go there is perisher or thredbo will be 100% open. I don't think this will occur by next weekend. I'm looking forward to make it down there and soak up the friendly fun!

thanks again for all your input!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass