today

andy222009

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2009
well i decided on a whim to go to baw baw today.
nice snow for september
but the hill is not really very interesting is it ? i went many many years ago and i seem to remember a nice run down next to a chairlift but that is non existent now.
a complete opposite to buller. not much terrain cf buller, nice atmosphere cf buller, friendly staff cf buller and no smarta$$e attitude cf buller.
great place to take the first time skiers and boarders. the boarders at baw baw seem to be quite reasonable. it was odd.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
andy222009 said:
well i decided on a whim to go to baw baw today.
nice snow for september
but the hill is not really very interesting is it ? i went many many years ago and i seem to remember a nice run down next to a chairlift but that is non existent now.
a complete opposite to buller. not much terrain cf buller, nice atmosphere cf buller, friendly staff cf buller and no smarta$$e attitude cf buller.
great place to take the first time skiers and boarders. the boarders at baw baw seem to be quite reasonable. it was odd.

Chalk n cheese, steepest of the big 5 Oz resorts vs almost the smallest & flatest hill. That's the charm and the constraint. Bawbs enables most of Gippsland easy access to snow without 3-4 hr tek to Hotham via Omeo. a big plus!

Bawbs like most resorts needs some decent money spent on infrastructure - mainly upgrades to snowmaking & some lodges but a beaut, fun little place and a good alternative to Lake Mtn too for snowplay, toboganning & XC.

Last edited by a moderator:

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Nicely summed up! Don't forget, also, that it is a gateway to some beautiful cross country skiing! Out the back of the Baw Baw summit there are acres of snow covered plateau. I was up there a few weeks ago, heaps of snow and the plateau almost deserted, perhaps we shouldn't be telling anyone!

andy222009

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2009
i did think that this would be a great xc place.
certainly wasnt much happening in the downhill dept.
i left after 4 hours. still only took me 2hours 10 mins to get there, not the exhausting drive to buller and back for a day trip. just enough of a ski to satisfy the need for a small hit
smile.gif
thing that got me was the time it takes to get up there once you leave the fwy. lots of windy roads at least an hour. reminded me of going to hotham via omeo

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
andy222009 said:
i did think that this would be a great xc place.
certainly wasnt much happening in the downhill dept.
i left after 4 hours. still only took me 2hours 10 mins to get there, not the exhausting drive to buller and back for a day trip. just enough of a ski to satisfy the need for a small hit
smile.gif
thing that got me was the time it takes to get up there once you leave the fwy. lots of windy roads at least an hour. reminded me of going to hotham via omeo
I assume you went via Noojee? You can also take the newish South Face Road which is less windy. You just go to Moe turn left and head on thru Erica. A little bit further on you turn left on to the SFR which is 29k of good gravel.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
South Face Rd is winner - rated very highly by my passengers last week! So much straighter and in a4WD, a higher ave speed than the '1000 corner-rd' va Nojee!

If/when BB shire seal te SFR I reckon it wil be significantly quicker - even for inner Melbourne visitors - than via Nojee.

andy222009

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2009
snowgum said:
South Face Rd is winner - rated very highly by my passengers last week! So much straighter and in a4WD, a higher ave speed than the '1000 corner-rd' va Nojee!

If/when BB shire seal te SFR I reckon it wil be significantly quicker - even for inner Melbourne visitors - than via Nojee.
that is good because i won't go to bawbaw again for the day again after that 1000 corner drive !

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass