1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Today's fact about Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Feb 10, 2019.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Canada has long been a welcoming home for immigrants. From the vigorous efforts of the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1890-1914 period to the vast flow of Europeans in the post WW2 years, this tradition continues today with over 300,000 new permanent residents accepted each year. Roughly 25% of Canadian citizens were born outside Canada.

Canada is also a world leader in refugee settlements, accepting about 75,000 annually. In most years this make Canada the number one country based on overall population. Currently, the majority of refugees come from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. sly_karma

The Volstead Act that federally prohibited the production, sale and consumption of alcohol in the US from 1920 to 1933 was a miraculous economic windfall for Canada. With wartime prohibition laws recently repealed, Canadians were free to manufacture all kinds of alcoholic beverages, and much of it was destined for the huge and thirsty market to the south. Most Canadian cities near the border have colourful stories of the 'rum runner' days, especially those where the border is a marine one. As much as 80% of this volume flowed from Windsor, ON to Detroit, MI. Apart from the region's concentration of population, the border there offers many possibilities: the 44 km long Detroit River or Lakes St Clair and Erie at either end. Vancouver and other Pacific ports had fleets of small fast boats that did local runs into Puget Sound or ran offshore to large mother ships that delivered to Oregon and California.

Initially, the smuggling was small and local. An ordinary worker could buy a case of whisky in Quebec for $15 and sell it in New York for $120. As time passed, the bootleggers became larger and inevitably organised crime entered the industry. Export licensing designed to account for Canadian-produced alcohol was easily circumvented, with enough booze destined (on paper) for tiny St Pierre & Miquelon to pickle every single inhabitant a few times over.

The Bronfman family started in Manitoba but soon moved to Montreal, where they acquired the Seagram brand and eventually grew it to become a market leader. The concept of Canadian whisky with its distinctive rye flavours became firmly established in the US during the prohibition years.

Chalkie, Jonathan_P, aazz and 3 others like this.
  3. sly_karma

The town of Fermont, Quebec is designed so that residents need not go outdoors unless required to for work. It was built in the early 1970s as a residential base for an iron ore mine and continues as such today. The original building is huge: 1.4 km long and 50 m high. It contains apartments, schools, shops and supermarket, a hotel, public pool and other sport facilities. It also provides a wind break for smaller homes and buildings on its lee side.

Located on the Labrador peninsula close to the border with Newfoundland & Labrador, Fermont has a very cold subarctic climate. The vision was for a town where its 2500 residents need not go outdoors during the seven month period of freezing weather.

Chalkie, whether, Slalom and 5 others like this.
  4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Prototype Moon Base?

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

A friend lived in Calgary for a couple of years, In winter she went from a heated house to a heated garage to a heated car to another heated carpark to a heated office or mall. In her ordinary days she never went outside. In 2000 I spent a couple of days there. At that time downtown Calgary had 14 miles of overpasses and underpasses linking buildings. Outside was a choice, not a necessity.

Chalkie, Slalom and sly_karma like this.
  6. sly_karma

Not really. More a windbreak that is also a building. Known locally as The Wall, it contains the public access spaces like shops, hotel, etc as well as some apartments. But there are many normal single family homes built in its lee as the picture shows.

[​IMG]

1 - School, 2 - Health Centre, 3 - Fire hall, 4 - Sports Centre, 5 - Swimming Pool, 6 - Shops, 7 - Apartments, 8 - Hotel
    [​IMG]

Chalkie, MarzNC, whether and 4 others like this.
  7. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Missed opportunity.;)

sly_karma likes this.
  8. sly_karma

American train robber Bill Miner found fame, or at least notoriety, in Canada. After a series of jail sentences for armed robbery, Miner drifted north to BC in the early years of the twentieth century. He targeted CP Rail trains and is believed to be the originator of the term, "Hands up!" Due to their rail monopoly in the west, CP was highly unpopular at this time and his exploits made him famous and admired. To this day there are pubs and restaurants named for him, and treasure hunters remain convinced he cached valuables around southern BC that have yet to be uncovered.

[​IMG]

MarzNC, skifree and Chalkie like this.
  9. sly_karma

Until the early 2000s, Canada was the world's largest producer of asbestos. Despite growing evidence of the dangers of asbestos, the huge mines in southeastern Quebec provided good jobs and the industry leveraged national unity issues to secure ongoing support from provincial and federal governments. In a sustained multi-party display of hypocrisy, use of asbestos in buildings was banned in Canada in 1987 while export to developing countries continued with government backing until the mines closed in 2012. Even then there was talk of reopening with government loan guarantees, and only in 2018 was a national ban placed on asbestos production.

Perhaps the last play in the game took place this week. The town of Asbestos, Quebec, formerly home to the largest mine in the world, voted to officially change its name to Val-des-Sources.

Chalkie, MarzNC and skifree like this.
  10. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Wow. As I read along I was hoping you were going to point to some use that was much safer or restricted than its widespread use in and around homes.

11. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

wow that is slow. The asbestos mine at Wittenoon in WA was closed in 1966

12. gareth_oau

Having said that, i installed asbestos fence in my first house in 1984

13. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you have ever been through the Wittenoom Gorges you can follow the veins of the asbestos mineral in the walls.

#813 bomber, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    skifree likes this.
  14. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Its all slow, we've 'known' asbestos is bad since antiquity.

15. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Can't stand it... Wittenoom

skifree and gareth_oau like this.
  16. bomber

I actually typed Wittenoom but saw Gareth spelt it differently. It was 1984 for heavens sake!

17. sly_karma

Wittenoom closed for the same reason most mines close: it had ceased to be profitable. Politicians and lobbyists would have spun it along much longer if there had been a strong profit motive. Think tobacco.

18. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think all the Wittenoom Gorges now comprise beautiful Karijini NP. I hiked Kalamina Gorge many years ago, and subsequently found out that it's the closest gorge to Wittenoom mine site and old township. Sure I saw map that indicated Wittenoom was just over the hill from the box canyon end of Kalamina Gorge. Even though the mine closed in the 60's, apparently you could still walk through the old town past the tailings close to the mine site for another 20 years or so, maybe longer.

Kalamina Gorge..Is that the asbestos about half way up the wall ?

Spectacular part of WA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MarzNC, sly_karma and skifree like this.
  19. bomber

Cant remeber where we camped. Just slept in the back of the ute. No rangers or facilities then. Just checked out of Paraburdoo camp with a few BBQ packs and a carton for each day. It was early June so water was cold.
    Back to asbestos I think it is Chryosilite but the veins were only a few cms thick

Summit likes this.
  20. gareth_oau

but there seems to be a big delay between end of our mining to when asbestos procts themselves were discontinued

sly_karma likes this.
  21. sly_karma

Canada uses a postal code system based mostly on the UK's. A Canadian postal code has six alphanumeric characters in two elements of three, separated by a space and using the format A1A 1A1. Canada was one of the last major countries to introduce a national postal code system, starting it in 1971 with full implementation not complete until 1974.

Other than Ontario and Quebec, each province and territory has all its codes starting with the same letter; eg, all BC postal codes start with V, Alberta codes start with T, and of course Yukon has Y all to itself. Due to their large population and land areas, Ontario and Quebec start with five and three different letters respectively. All Toronto codes begin with M and all Montreal codes begin with H.

Canada Post divides the country into forward sorting areas (FSA), and the first three characters of the code are unique to each FSA. For example, my town of Penticton with 35,000 people is one FSA, designated V2A. Larger cities have multiple FSAs to cover their needs. Rural FSAs are designated by the use of the numeral 0 as the second character; for example the small towns and villages surrounding Penticton all have V0H as the first half of their code.

The second element of three characters is the local delivery unit (LDU). In rural areas, the LDU designates an entire village or community, whereas in more urbanised areas the LDU is used to delineate specific streets and blocks, sometimes corresponding to a mail carrier's route.

In theory, there are 7.2 million possible postal codes, but currently there are only 900,000 in use. Canada Post reserves some FSAs for special purposes and return mail.

Bonus fact: Santa Claus has had his own official postal code since 1974. All mail to Santa should be addressed as follows:
    Santa Claus/Pere Noel
    North Pole/Pole Nord
    H0H 0H0
    CANADA

skifree and MarzNC like this.
  22. bomber

I think the Post Code at Campbell River in 1980 was V9W5E2?