1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Tokyo Accom advice

Discussion in 'Japan' started by trappers, Oct 21, 2019.

1. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

All,

Flying into NRT in Jan, and have 3 days in Tokyo before flying out to CTS via HND - Need some accom advice for the stop over.

Am staying with one "money is no object" person and another who "lives on the smell of an oily rag" ... I sit somewhere in between.

The money is no object person is looking to book into Tokyo Station Hotel for the stop over because the bellhops etc will help with his skis and bags from the train.

Tokyo station hotel is looking like A$750 / night twin share. Ouch.

Smell of an oily rag person also is taking skis but Im not.

Any advice on decent cheaper hotels in a funky part of town which are not too challenging to get to/from the train station with skis and the train goes to both HND and NRT - pref express?

@Sandy ! :)

2. silva

silva One of Us

Do you want to share a room or have 2 rooms? What attractions do you want to see/do in Tokyo?

If you have 3 days in Tokyo before flying to CTS then your ski bags should not factor into your accommodation choice - Black Cat ski bags from Narita to your ski accommodation - no dragging them around at all.

fennekeg, Kimski and blowfin like this.
  3. trappers

Never played Tourist in Tokyo (although ahve been there a number of times for work) so I havent thought that far ahead on what attractions to see yet!

I'm more than happy to share a room with "smell of an oily rag" person

4. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

LMB, fennekeg, Tanuki and 3 others like this.
  5. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I mentioned Sutton Place Hotel at Ueno, which is a good option

snowgum and trappers like this.
  6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ueno is always my preferred choice. Perfect for access from Narita and then Shinkansen. For Haneda though you have to use local train line. I have stayed at Sutton Place and it is fine. It is very clsoe to the Ueno JR station, a bit further from the Keisei station.

Another option would be to look at a hotel that is on or close by both the Narita & Haneda Limousine bus routes. Most of these will also be near a subway to get around easily. https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

7. trappers

Thanks! How easy is it to get from Ueno to Haneda?

8. trappers

You read my mind!!
    Ok, are the local train lines easy to navigate with skis and luggage?

Tanuki likes this.
  9. Heinz

Using the Keisei airport line from Narita to Ueno is easy as is the monorail from Hamamatsucho to Haneda, however the tricky bit (with luggage) in peak hour would be catching a local line (eg. Yamanote) to that station. Bus is this case is certainly easier.

10. Sandy

Should be OK, as your flight is middle of the day on a Saturday

11. Sandy

However, since you're flying into Narita midweek, then to Hokkaido from Haneda, I'd be staying at Shinagawa. You can catch the Keikyu Line airport train direct from Shinagawa to Haneda domestic

12. Heinz

Maybe l
    Didn't see that bit. If this is the case then it won't be a problem.

13. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Have a look at Airbnb too, I actually enjoy staying in Shibuya a bit more than Ueno, but they both have their charms. For three nights (and flying out via Haneda) it's hard to make an argument for Ueno on convenience alone. Also, yes, don't drag your ski luggage into Tokyo, black cat it to your Hokkaido accommodation from Narita.

DeskRider likes this.
  14. Heinz

yes, good point re luggage delivery. Then if luggage isn't an issue it really doesn't matter too much where you stay in Tokyo. Anywhere near a railway or subway station will be good.

15. trappers

black cat?

Tanuki likes this.
  16. blowfin

Yes, Black Cat (Kuro Neko) . AKA Takyubin. A luggage forwarding service designed to give you "hands free" travel. It's wonderful.
    http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/ytc/en/send/services/airport/

Find the counter in Narita (1st floor in arrivals), provide them with the details (address, phone number, etc.) of your hotel in Hokkaido, pay around 3000 yen and your ski luggage will be whisked away to Hokkaido and waiting for you when you get to your hotel.

Take a small bag into Tokyo with enough stuff for the three nights only, forget about faffing with ski bags on trains and etc.

The process also works in reverse but you'd want to allow at least 2 days for your stuff to get from Hokkaido to whichever airport you fly home from. Most hotels are happy to arrange the pick up.

17. silva

silva One of Us

I like staying here:
    https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/ci...itle;from_sr_map=1;from=searchresults;ucfs=1;
    Its close to Shinjuku station on the main Yamanote line or a couple of smaller stations as well. With all our bags we caught a taxi from Shinjuku to the hotel then as we had a very early morning flight we actually caught a taxi to Haneda - about $100.
    I like the rooms - they are a bit more spacious than usual and have a little kitchenette - also sleep 2 adults and 1 child easily which is great for us but not so important for your situation.
    My tip would be stay somewhere near the stations on the Yamanote train loop. Put your dates and requirements into Booking.com and have a play with the map to look at the locations you like.
    Definitely black cat the skis to Hokkaido - no use dragging them around Tokyo if you don't need to.

Tanuki likes this.
  18. trappers

Ok that looks awesome!! just rang them up about Y3000 per piece direct to hotel door! makes life a lot easier - even Mr Money is no object will have to like that! :)

Kimski, Tanuki and blowfin like this.
  19. trappers

I've actually stayed their for work a few times - yep nice place!

Ok slight problem. Mr smell of an oily rag arrives on Thursday at 17:40 but black cat cutoff time is 18:00 which means that if he doesn't get it before cutoff then his skis will arrive some time (they can not specify) on Sunday, meaning he could lose a day of skiing as we arrive at the resort on Saturday afternoon. but perhaps he wont mind lugging his skis around Tokyo for a bit ...

Not a problem for me or mr money is no object as I arrive a day earlier and he arrives in the morning.

20. Heinz

or he could rent the first day.

21. Heinz

blowfin likes this.
  22. trappers

precisely what I just said to him!! :)

23. trappers

When I just spoke to them they implied that their 2 day guarantee cutoff time was 18:00 ... after that it is 3 days.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  24. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sometimes the stuff arrives faster than they advise.

DeskRider and trappers like this.
  25. blowfin

Yes, that ^

2 full days (Friday and Saturday)? It's probably going to be fine, but they'll never set anything in stone.

Donzah and trappers like this.
  26. Heinz

So no 2 day guarantee. Still a high likelyhood that it will make it in time anyway.

27. trappers

Yeah I figured that, and I think Mr smell of an oily rag will be fine :)

28. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

and only a small step down from the Tokyo Station Hotel in terms of glamour

Donzah likes this.
  29. Sandy

He should just lug gear around, since Mr Oily probably won't want to pay 3000 for takkyubin, plus possibly 5000-6000yen for rental for one day

Tonester likes this.
  30. skivet

skivet Addicted

As everyone has said black cat your skis, the Narita terminal 2 was open 7.30 pm last year.
    Check out the Gate hotel at Asakusa for a very nice hotel at a reasonable price. Have a great rooftop bar for guests only and overlooking sky tree and in the the immediate vicinity of Senso-Ji temple and markets. Definitely oozes luxury and around $250/ night.
    Easy to find. Take skyline to Ueno, walk to connecting JREast station and flow signs to Asakusa subway line, it is three stops away.

Hermannator likes this.
  31. Tonester

I like staying in Shimbashi if I'm there for more than a night. Usually I stay in Ueno on the way in as it's close to Shinkansen and the skyliner.
    But for more than a night Shimbashi is my choice because:
    • it's a major rail interchange
    • it connects to a couple metro lines
    • it's only a couple of stops from Tokyo station
    • it's one stop to Hamamatsucho monorail, for Haneda
    • it's in a vibrant location, and
    • it's the location of my favoutire okonomiyaki joint (in fact I usually stay in the hotel next door, so I'm never too far away from a good Hiroshima style okonomiyaki). So good, in fact that the Japanese PM has eaten there. So...it must be good, right?

32. Tonester

And really, if Mr-Oily-Rag plans and packs sensibly, lugging gear around Tokyo is not that hard.

skivet likes this.
  33. trappers

Mr "Money is no object" is worried about black cat not getting his gear to the hotel in 2 days as he has all his skis and ski gear in the one bag and it not turning up would mean he can not hire his way out of trouble - has anyone had any issues with using these services?

34. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, if there's weather that closes roads they will be delayed. It's the kind of weather you want though ;)
    We've used Black Cat five or six times, only once did they say it's not gonna arive on time. My understanding is they won't take the booking if they can anticipate a disruption.

#34 Tanuki, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Hyst likes this.
  35. blowfin

Nope, done it a few times.

Once from Narita to Myoko when I spent a couple of nights in Tokyo. Sent the bag Thursday arvo before cut off, and it was waiting for me at the hotel on Saturday afternoon.

Twice to Narita on a Friday evening (from Iiyama and Yuzawa), and the bag has been waiting for me at the airport for flights around midday on Sunday.

Maybe there's a "same day service" available from Narita if money is no object, and it's causing stress? Seems difficult to find out if it's available though.

36. Sandy

I'm 95% sure there's no same day service, and 85% sure there's no guaranteed next day service.
    I often send skis back from a resort to my home on a Sunday before 5pm, and I get it either Monday evening or Tuesday evening. (e.g. Out of 4, I'd say about 1 on a Monday vs 3 on the Tuesday)

37. blowfin

It's a bit confusing. There is mention of it here:
    http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/scene01.html

And apparently the service is offered at the following counters, but Narita isn't on the list:
    http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/facilities/

I'm assuming if you did something like sending the parcel from Nagano Midori to Haneda Domestic, you could request it. Or maybe the other counter doesn't need to offer "same day service", I really don't know.

38. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

Damn - I was assuming I could land at Haneda at 05:30 on a Saturday and that my skis and most of my luggage could be sent to my hotel in Nozawa Onsen to be there when I arrive, the next day (Sunday) around 17:00 - This thread got me looking into that assumption and it seems like this is not going to happen! Are there any alternative delivery services that do guaranteed next day?

Otherwise it's a trawl to the hotel in Asakusabashi with a wheely ski bag containing one pair of skis initially (plus boots in main luggage) - not too bad on empty saturday morning trains - but then carrying whatever new skis I buy for me and the boy from Asakusabashi to Ueno station to Nagano and then to the car rental place, Sunday 10:00.

I am aware these are very much first world problems :)

39. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

Looks like I can use the above to send from Haneda to Nagano station - but I will need to find the right counter in the Domestic terminal to be able to do that. Sorry to hijack, OP (at least one of us has a resolution!) - Thanks Sandy and Blowfin for the tips!

40. blowfin

It'll probably be fine, that's basically 36 hours.

41. Tonester

How old is boy?
    I braved the Tokyo subway with my boy when he was 12 y.o. I took the punt that he'd be old enough to negotiate the trains, stairs and escalators carrying his own gear. And it worked! But planning is key. Here's how I did it:
    Firstly, I think putting ALL ski gear, boots, clothes into one giant wheelie ski back is a disaster in the making. It's too heavy to be quickly and easily swivelled/lifted/etc.
    So I invested in two (one for me and one for boy) Douchebag Slim Jims. These are light, wheeled ski bags, designed for one pair of skis/stocks. I don't put anything else in that so it's relatively light. It's got a shoulder strap and, as mentioned, can be wheeled easily. The great thing about this is that when you negotiate escalators you can quickly and easily swing it into an upright position and hold it next to you as you proceed up or down.
    Next, our boots went into our boot bag backpacks. These came on board with us. All the other things you need on board you can pack into those back packs as well.
    Lastly, out ski clothes and street clothes go into a 4-wheel suitcase. We each had one of those.
    So, as we are walking along the Slim Jim ski bag sits on top of the suitcase. We we need to get in an elevator/escalator we take the ski bag, swing it into an upright position and hold it next to us. Easy peasy.
    I've done the everything-in-the-one-huge-skibag. What a nightmare. Unless you have door to door valet service it's just too much weight to deal with.
    So, my boy managed to lug all his own gear (incl. his skis) from Haneda, through Tokyo in morning peak hour on a weekday without any fuss. Winning for dad!

42. Heinz

I haven't done it often enough to make a judgement on that and the times I have done I have allowed 3 days for Hokkaido.
    I guess you just need to assess the priorities. If you are happy to accept a small chance that you may have to rent or not ski that first day then delivery service is fine.

If though it is a case of you must be able to ski that first day, then taking your ski gear isn't really that big a deal anyway. Minimise the bit of inconvenience by avoiding local trains at peak hours (weekend should be fine) or else use the Linousine bus option, staying somewhere like Shimbashi. eg. Shiba Park Hotel is on both Narita & Haneda routes. If that hotel is beyond the budget there will be cheaper hotels a short walk away. Shimbashi is also close to Hamatsucho there is still the option of the monorail to Haneda avoiding the local train. Luggage should not be a problem.

#42 Heinz, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    blowfin likes this.
  43. Tonester

And FWIW, if I am overnighting in Tokyo, before a morning shink, I stay across the road at Hotel New Ueno. Literally the closest hotel to the station, as far as I can tell. It's cheap as chips and means I can catch an early train without too much angst. The rooms are super small (the singles, at least). So, I usually leave the ski bag in the lobby.

Heinz likes this.
  44. Heinz

I've stayed there a few times and done that. You can't get any closer to JR Ueno than that. I only have a single ski bag so can usually manage to jam it in a corner or behind the door, but they also suggested just leaving in the baggage room downstairs. Then I usually grab a cheap morning menu at the Wendys a few doors down before catching the train.

M_G likes this.
  45. Sandy

Are you spending the entire time in Nozawa Onsen? (I'm wondering why you need the car)

So you will have one pair of skis and buying another two pairs?
    Why don't you consolidate most of the gear you don't need immediately into one bag and send that and the skis to Nozawa. Then carry both pairs of boots and what you need immediately on Monday with you, along with the skis you buy on Sat/Sun.

BTW, they will deliver bags up to 9pm, not just 5pm. (you're thinking Australia, not Japan) When you send Takkyubin, you can specify the time of delivery(e.g. 9-12, 1-4pm, 4-6pm, 6-8pm, 7-9pm).... it's necessary in Japan, because people work late, so they often need stuff delivered later.

46. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

I'm always partial to the bakery in Ueno Station opp. the Hard Rock. There's always Maccas down from Keisei Ueno for the hardcore.

skivet and Tonester like this.
  47. Tonester

Ahhh, yes. I love a good Japanese bakery, and that one is a good one. Although I usually opt for a conbini breakfast in my first morning in japow. Just, because.

M_G likes this.
  48. Heinz

Certainly no shortage of options around there, but Wendys is lit 30m (just checked) from the hotel so worked for me. Quick cheap sandwich toast and coffee, done.

M_G likes this.
  49. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Gran Bell Shibuya

50. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Sunroute Plaza in Shinjuku is good too if you want to be in the thick of it. The Sunroute Plaza and the JR Blossom are probably the closest to Shinjuku Station although their rates have gone up in the last couple of years. The Blossom especially so. There's always Airbnb too.