Tokyo Metropolitan area 17 - 18 season

Are you going to stay in Tokyo in 17 - 18 season?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • No.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I won't go to Japan to ski in 17 - 18 season.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I will ski in Japan in 17 - 18 season but not sure yet if I stay in Tokyo.

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Many people who come to Japan for skiing / snowboarding visit & stay in Tokyo too. So this thread is for sharing useful & interesting information about Tokyo Metropolitan area.
112799-004-21EC2886.gif

Last edited:

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
Narita on way in one night. Yokohama on way out 3 nights (with day trips to Tokyo). Last 2 trips stayed in Asakusa. But loved our night in yokohama, so have decided to end the trip there.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
yep, two nights somewhere yet to be determined, but somewhere near a Shink station. The two nights means we can chill in Tokyo and Black Cat our gear to Appi. Another night after Zao

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
Where abouts in Yokohama? (I live in Yokohama)
We stayed at hotel monterey yokohama right on the water (water view room). The garden necklace was on at the time- so many tulips. We used Kannai station. Enjoyed the view from landmark tower, we walked from the hotel via the red brick warehouse to landmark.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
We stayed at hotel monterey yokohama right on the water (water view room). The garden necklace was on at the time- so many tulips. We used Kannai station. Enjoyed the view from landmark tower, we walked from the hotel via the red brick warehouse to landmark.
I live about 1.5km from there!!

Reactions: Melskius

slotele

Addicted
Jun 3, 2016
I like the Hotel New Grand in Yokohama, classy place.

Funny thing I found when staying there last summer was the Motomach-Chukagi station was really familiar looking. Finally worked it out, It was the station at the end of the line that time I fell asleep ( yeah, had a few drinks before getting on the train ) and missed my stop in Jiyugaoka when I lived there back in the early 90's.

HoopDogg

Hard Yards
Sep 15, 2011
Sydney
Got a week in shinjuku on the way home. Past visits have all been 2-3 days, so looking forward to slowing down a bit and soaking it up rather than rushing around trying to squeeze in as much as possible.

Reactions: Tanuki

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I like the Hotel New Grand in Yokohama, classy place.

Funny thing I found when staying there last summer was the Motomach-Chukagi station was really familiar looking. Finally worked it out, It was the station at the end of the line that time I fell asleep ( yeah, had a few drinks before getting on the train ) and missed my stop in Jiyugaoka when I lived there back in the early 90's.
That's my station: Motomachi-Chukagai. I often see people asleep in the train, when they are waiting to go back the other way (not drunk in the evening, but asleep in the morning heading to work, not realising that their station was 10km further back!!!.... I will often "accidentally" bump them on the way onto the train..... ;)

skivet

Addicted
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
One night Ueno before skiing at Shiga Kogen then 2nights Asakusa at the Gate Hotel for the weekend then back to Myoko for more skiing. While in Tokyo a day at the races!

Reactions: Tanuki

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
One night Ueno before skiing at Shiga Kogen then 2nights Asakusa at the Gate Hotel for the weekend then back to Myoko for more skiing. While in Tokyo a day at the races!
Gate Hotel here too! Simply amazing location, great rooms and incredible staff. Had to re-book this time after such an awesome experience last trip.

Reactions: skivet

globewanderer

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2015
4 nights in Minato-ku staying at a friend's apartment en route to Hokkaido ;)
First time visiting this part of Tokyo so it should be fun!

skivet

Addicted
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Gate Hotel here too! Simply amazing location, great rooms and incredible staff. Had to re-book this time after such an awesome experience last trip.

We stayed there last year too and were blown away by the hotel and the area! The bar onto top of the hotel for guests only do the best cocktails!

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
Will have a couple of nights in Tokyo prior to heading to Nagano prefecture. Get in one evening, will have half a day shopping on the second day with the afternoon with a Japanese friend.

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
Overrated.
No restaurants.
From Ramen Adventures:
"Some friends of friends were in town, and they wanted a proper food crawl. Shimokitazawa is one of the best places in Tokyo for this kind of adventure."
I don't think there is a Mos Burger there though.

Reactions: smackies

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
From Ramen Adventures:
"Some friends of friends were in town, and they wanted a proper food crawl. Shimokitazawa is one of the best places in Tokyo for this kind of adventure."
I don't think there is a Mos Burger there though.
I was being facetious.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
shall be booking flights this week (just getting the approval for LS leave)... will be taking my daughter to the snow for about 3 days & on the way back to Osaka, will spend at least a day at Disneyland with her & stay at one of the resort hotels for 2 nights.

Reactions: Vermillion

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
shall be booking flights this week (just getting the approval for LS leave)... will be taking my daughter to the snow for about 3 days & on the way back to Osaka, will spend at least a day at Disneyland with her & stay at one of the resort hotels for 2 nights.

If you're at Tokyo Disney for two nights, you should get the 2 day pass and go to Disneyland and Disneysea.
There's also special hotel /Park package where you get fastpasses to all rides, all day.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
If you're at Tokyo Disney for two nights, you should get the 2 day pass and go to Disneyland and Disneysea.
There's also special hotel /Park package where you get fastpasses to all rides, all day.

Yeah, I know, but with a (will be by then) 3 year old, I am not sure whether Disney Sea would be appealing for her.

Besides, everything these days is Frozen this Frozen that

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I've sent my friends to kappabashi for knife purchasing.
Any tips?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I've sent my friends to kappabashi for knife purchasing.
Any tips?
Weekends are not much chop (!!) because many of the shops are closed.
There also a good knife shop in Asakusa. From the main gate at Sensoji, you keep walking until the next side street, and it's on the corner. They have a variety of knives including ones that he makes himself (or his smiths)

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Weekends are not much chop (!!) because many of the shops are closed.
There also a good knife shop in Asakusa. From the main gate at Sensoji, you keep walking until the next side street, and it's on the corner. They have a variety of knives including ones that he makes himself (or his smiths)
Cheers , i'll tell them to go thursday.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Got a week in shinjuku on the way home. Past visits have all been 2-3 days, so looking forward to slowing down a bit and soaking it up rather than rushing around trying to squeeze in as much as possible.
I like that idea

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums