1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Tollways around Nagano

Discussion in 'Japan' started by teletripper, Nov 4, 2018.

1. teletripper

teletripper Addicted

Looking at renting a car out of Nagano for 10 days and doing a bit of a loop, Hakuba - Itoigawa - Joetsu - Myoko - Iiyama - Nagano, and surrounds. Times Car Rental advise that they do not do tollway ETC cards or passes out of their Nagano rental office which I thought was a bit strange???
    Trying to roughly determine what the tollway charges for that loop would be, but haven't been able to find a website or calculator in English to give some guidance.
    Will we need a ETC to be able to minimise toll costs and maximise convenience, or do we just pay cash at the tollway gates??
    Any advice or pointers much appreciated.
    TIA

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just pay cash.
    The roads you're going on are sweet FA in costs really.
    Grab a ticket at the IC.
    Hand it to the man when you exit.

teletripper and PMG like this.
  3. Donzah

There are calculators for exp charges.
    I've found google works it out as well .

teletripper likes this.
  4. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

ETC Nah I don't have one. Don't bother. You can pay cash or credit card. Just don't take the ETC gate or you will set of lots of alarm bells. ;)

So Nagano to Hakuba 200 yen.
    Hakuba down to the coast nothing.
    Drive the coast road back up to Joetsu. We stopped randomly fo lunch recently. Pics above. It was nice, welcoming, easy etc.
    Joetsu Takada to Myoko Kogen 870 yen.
    I expect Myoko Kogen to Nagano would be similar or a little more.
    Only issue is that there are a few entries and exits you cannot use because they are ETC only.

Here are 2 results of a quick google search for toll calculators Nexco and one with instructions for Nexco in Japanese

teletripper likes this.
  5. teletripper

teletripper Addicted

Thanks Donzah and Skichanger. :thumbs:

6. Donzah

Never lose the ticket!

teletripper likes this.
  7. skichanger

ROFL I assume that is the voice of experience. It was bad enough when I went through the wrong gate. Next worse was getting out of an ETC only entrance, in a blizzard at Niigata city where I did not know my way around. And least ristressing drama on the toll roads was being pulled over by the police. So polite in say sorry but don't speed on repeat for 10 minutes.

teletripper likes this.
  8. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

The local coastal road around otoigawa is stunning on a clear day. There is a cool little sea island shrine that you can walk over a little bridge to up near No(?). Sure beats the expressway if you have the time.

Lucky Pete and teletripper like this.
  9. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Driving in the dark in Tohoku this year we missed the turnoff to our accommodation and ended up on a tollway. There was absolutely nowhere to turn around and we ended up driving at least 20 kilometres before we came to the nearest toll booth. Spent about 10 minutes explaining we didn't want to be where we were before they got out their fluoro wands, stopped the traffic coming the other way and let us do a u turn and go back without paying. Had to apologise profusely when we finally arrived for missing our dinner at the agreed time.:oops:

teletripper likes this.
  10. skichanger

I was lucky at Niigata that there was somewhere to turn around. I do go the wrong way down the access road for a small distance but..... not sure what else I could have done as there was a boom gate.

I don't know about the ETC entrances but around Myoko when it is snowing they have guys checking that you have winter tyres on your car. So there is lots of space and opportunity at those entrances to turn around.

Also wehn we were pulled over by the police it was really follow us off the toll way to this parking area while we talk to you. Their biggest concern was making sure we went the right way when we re-joined the toll way. So there are other spots to pull off, turn around etc. But that was not in winter or at night, both of which would make spots like that difficult to use.

teletripper likes this.
  11. skichanger

Absolutely agree. I have used the tollway when we are belting down to Toyama and time poor. Otherwise I would always recommend the coastal road.

I think this may be the island and shrine. We didn't go there. This is just a pic of the brochure where we had lunch.

teletripper likes this.
  12. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

That’s the one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

teletripper likes this.
  13. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This little one is further down the coast on the Noto Peninsula.
    P1020421.JPG

teletripper likes this.
  14. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I remember seeing that bridge when I drove the coastal road.
    I didn't walk over it because the sea was a washing machine at the time with snow storms rolling in periodically.

15. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Make sure you have cash ready is what I would advise at each ETC station.

Pretty sure its the pink signed exits that are ETC only so do not use them. There is one of those closest to Aria depending which way you are going.

The coastal road is stunning as others have said. And if you like seafood there are a couple markets on the coast not far north of Itiogawa. There are also a couple skijos up that way which are fun on a powder day and well worth checking out.

teletripper likes this.
  16. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

Sea food market is Marine dream Nou. You can buy fish, raw shrimp, boiled crab. They are closed at some point in winter not sure when though. If you buy fish ask them and they can grill it with salt, it is pretty amazing. There is a shop inside that sells local sake. There is also a Michi no eki further down, has an onsen and a nice place to see waves during storm, it gets pretty crazy sometimes in winter.

One more thing, on weekends ETC toll is significantly less. If you have a big enough car and don't mind roughing it you can sleep at rest areas in the parking lot inside a car. Many have shower, breakfast.. some even have onsen. Some Japanese who come ski from Nagoya, Osaka etc sleep at the Azumino michi-no eki driving there on friday then Saturday morning hitting the resort.

teletripper likes this.
  17. skichanger

The exit at the big layby just past Lotte arai resort is ETC only. You need to get off at Takada or the other Arai one which is a bit further south.

teletripper and Lucky Pete like this.
  18. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

You don't have to go through the ETC at Arai Road Station. There is a parking area off the tollway and from there you can access all the facilities/shops/restaurants.

If you ever come out of winter there's an awesome bike track along the coast that utilises the old steam train line. Done it quite a few times.

teletripper and Lucky Pete like this.
  19. teletripper

teletripper Addicted

Thanks all for the great feedback and advice. :cheers:
    Somewhat allayed my concerns about having a rental car without ETC capability. Anyway, some great travel tips there, keep em coming, and looking forward to exploring a little further afield. Roll on January. :skier:

20. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

If you are coming through Hakuba pop in and say hi. My cafe/bar is down at the Railway Station. If you need some advice re Hakuba accomm reach out too if you like.

21. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

On a different note, I wouldn't quaver if you go in the wrong gate, just back up and go through the cash one... price won't be too exy... going for a song, so it should strike a good chord, so don't alto your plans.....
    :out:

skichanger likes this.
  22. skichanger

:whistle::whistle:

Sandy likes this.