Yarra Valley Vic
Cleared just in time...

D71_4555 (2).JPG

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Got to sort of yellowy orange here central NW coast in Tassie.

This was my first viewing of such an event and I have a question (please forgive my lack of knowledge/understanding). I was kind of expecting it to go full glowing circle like a halo around the moon. I watched for about 3/4 of an hour but it always have a slight glow around 7 o'clock and no halo or light at all on the opposite side (hope that makes sense).

Is this because I am further West and a long way south of you guys? Or did I have unrealistic expectations?

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011

This was my first viewing of such an event and I have a question (please forgive my lack of knowledge/understanding). I was kind of expecting it to go full glowing circle like a halo around the moon. I watched for about 3/4 of an hour but it always have a slight glow around 7 o'clock and no halo or light at all on the opposite side (hope that makes sense).

Is this because I am further West and a long way south of you guys? Or did I have unrealistic expectations?
Same. See above excellent pics. They are exactly what we all saw.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Any halo is a cloud or moisture in the atmosphere effect, you don’t want that shit, unless you’re in Radelaide where any rain is good rain except we have lotsa halo & no more rain.

Reactions: crackson

betsuin

Hard Yards
Nov 28, 2020
Magill
Hi - I'm in Adelaide, was actually raining here - I like the rain but .. Timing!!
Nice photos everyone! (except the salami)

Reactions: skifree

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

We also had the brighter glow at about 7 o'clock position. I think the last lunar eclipse (2018?), was better in that the moon had an even red glow

Reactions: almontyrat

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Composite of the various phases, taken with auto pocket camera on a tripod (with the 2 second shutter timer). Crisp and calm night here in north east foothills of Melbourne, perfect for Mooning. I loved how the stars twinkled brighter as the Moon darkened, then faded again as the Moon reappeared. It turned red here at totality, and my understanding is that it only turns red when the Moon is in full eclipse due to the light refraction around Earth's shadow

IMG_4196.jpg

Below at totality, zoomed out to see some of the stars too

IMG_4172.jpg

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Had some intermittent clear patches after the eclipse started, but right on cue as it neared totality, the clouds thickened up. After totality, there were some large clear patches which enabled me to catch a few pics though. First time photographing through the new refractor, so not too bad. Some blue/red colouring on the bright edge of the moon probably due to coma. Most difficult part is to get the focus sharp.
The first photo is about 10-15 mins after totality I think with the others progressively following on from that.
Should add that I was photographing from the western suburbs in Adelaide.

Attachments

• IMG_2727s.JPG
    IMG_2727s.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2772s.JPG
    IMG_2772s.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2788as.JPG
    IMG_2788as.JPG
    671.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2823s.JPG
    IMG_2823s.JPG