Top 2 Bottom Race 2021 Thredbo - Tips, Info ?

NotCody

Early Days
Apr 15, 2021
Hi thinking about entering the Top 2 Bottom - any tips or info which will enable me to Bradbury to win ?

Also where can I hire super G skis or something roughly equivalent (Only got a touring setup...) Cheers (in all seriousness any info appreciated :) )

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Practice running with skis and poles slightly uphill for 50m then clipped in and skating up to speed. Most lose in the first 70m.

Second set of ski for the practice runs.

$500 worth of tuning and wax.

Skinsuit. Full body budgie smuggler.

Take a gear bag and only undress just before the start. The will be a groomer there with a basket on it to bring everyone's bags down to the finish.

If you get away with top 3 after the run, you will have a chance.

The top10 are fast as hell.

You will be intimidated by how serious some take it.

You will probably fail, but have a great time and learn heaps for future attempts.

It's an adrenaline rush.

See you there.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
Have race suit.
Ski on skis you know.
Be in the top 5 putting your skis on.
Look ahead at the gates to pick a smooth fast line.
Let others fail in front of you due to poor line choice.
Start picking them off from the top of Rossi race course.
Don't be afraid to let them know you're coming through
Tuck, tuck, tuck.

Reactions: crackson

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Back in the day the trick was to spray WD40 on boot soles just prior to start, to prevent snow sticking to boots and save a second or two clicking in. I also saw people put duct tape on boot soles for same reason, but I never liked the idea of interfering with clearances in the binding.

As others have said, the run, click in and skate/pole is the most critical part of the race. The winner almost always comes from the first five on course. The start is the only part of the race that can be practiced during normal opening hours, so get out there and practice.

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
Only did it once. From that I learnt, as with the others, the run is the bit which will decide your fate!

Reckon I was 25th or so after that damn run. Ended up 14th. What I learnt out of it was the hardest bit IMO is being able to get a clean go at the track once ur stuck in the middle. I didn't particularly enjoy it for that reason of feeling like I was constrained by good runners, but thats the game and I still want to have another crack.

I'd say just ride your normal skis? Unless you are used to race skis? Would have though u would need some time on race skis to really know them and make it worth it??

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Leave the GM Mumm till after the race, unless you need to fortifying the nerves

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a