1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

TR Bogong 1-3 october (warning - pics)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by rizla, Oct 10, 2005.

1. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

trip report for bogong... 1st to 3rd oct.

punished the poor suby a second time up eskdale... had to stop twice and let it cool down before thrashing it up the steep pinches due to more passengers and gear in it this time. got up to eskdale at midday to a coles carpark type scene.. could barely get a car park... anyways.. couple hours up eskdale was nice n easy. dry, warm and breezy conditions. pitched tent over in cairn gully area late in the arvo and had a couple of nice runs on the shady faster slopes. weird patches of snow from some snowfall earlier in the week made a bit of a mess of what we expected to be consistent corn/reformed snow.

on sunday worked our way right around the sth of bogong from the west bogong slopes, right around to cairn gully. got about 7 runs in, including some awesome couloir type action in a couple of spots. cover was pretty thin overall though, but in the gullys it was really nice (see shots and video below). absolutely great weather, apart from really strong winds, and all the riding was really good.

on monday did a few in cairn gully, then a couple of the chutes/gully's to skiiers right of cairn fully. a couple of them weren't skiiable to due to lack of snow, but a couple were.. which were nice n steep. left about midday monday in still amazing weather, but rapidly receding snow cover.

overall about 12 runs in a 1.5 days.. so was a pretty productive trip... wish we'd been up a bit earlier and been able to hit N & NW slopes... next year maybe. was also pretty surprised with the quality/length/steepness of some of the gully's.. I'd always ridden feathertop thinking bogong didn't have that terrain.. pleasantly surprised.

also... was wondering if anyone might be able to post a photo (winter of summer) of the series of chutes to at the extreme skiiers right of cairn gully, taken from over the other side on the walking track (towards cleve cole) - I'm trying to get an idea of the layout of all the lines in there, but don't have any shots, and the maps don't really indicate the lines at all..

MOVIES

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jamesmab/pics/bogong/rgbogong1.wmv
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~jamesmab/pics/bogong/rgbogong3.wmv

PICS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 rizla, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 rizla, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So you had one pair of powder skis you had to share between you? Very sad , but I spose one of you has to hold the camera while the other teles down the slope.

4. the travela

the travela First Runs

Some nice shots, great to see us boarders can appreciate what's out there, even it is does take the extra hard yards to accomplish. Good stuff rizla!

5. gusc

gusc Hard Yards

No, I think they were on monoskis. Just a new-fangled stance, is all.

Great pics!! Jealous...Compare your pics to housie's (I think) recent ones - the mountain can change so quickly.

re: a shot of the chutes south of the summit. Did you see the great map with the marked lines in Michell Hut? I took a photo of it, which hopefully the Bogong Club won't mind me posting:
    [​IMG]

VSG can get the crayons out now...even if it is Victoria [​IMG]

#5 gusc, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

hmmm... skifree's comments are a bit :fishing: I can tele as well incidently, and don't reckon its any harder work to ride it when everyone's bootpacking out cos its so steep anyway.

gusc: I also got a shot of the bogong club map, cos I couldn't find it on line. not sure on the consensus though of the location of the lines and their names? i guess they just decided.

i was hoping to get a shot of the chutes "cable layer" through to "tombstone" taken from lendenfeld point (ie looking west). anyone got a shot of that they can post?

7. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

No need. Nicely marked, already. [​IMG]

#7 VSG, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Alex.C

Alex.C One of Us

But the lifts aren't. :p

#8 Alex.C, Oct 11, 2005
  9. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Ask Climberman. His site [​IMG]

edit: or have a look here.

#9 VSG, Oct 11, 2005
  10. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

well, ask bogong jack / Mr Bent Knee - he wrote that section.

11. gusc

gusc Hard Yards

The photo at the top page on VSG's second link is the money. All I can add is that some people call the line marked "Hesitation" on the map "Tombstone".

12. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

thanks for those links.. a couple of those pics are perfect. nice avvies in the gullys in one of them..