1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

TR Bogong 4th - 13th August

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by positron, Aug 15, 2005.

1. positron

positron Hard Yards Endless Winter

Up Bogong!!!

Just got back from 9 days of solo bliss at Mt Bogong. Some of the best skiing I have ever done. Fresh tracks for the entire time I was up there. Averaged about 7-8 long runs a day, with some requiring booting out in knee deep Australian 'powder' due to there being to much fresh snow to facilitate skinning out.

Much fun was had dropping some of the steep chutes that join up with Cairn Creek Gully. Some photos to come. Get up there if you can!

PS. Thanks Bogong Jack for the reading material [​IMG]

#1 positron, Aug 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Magnificent work. Get those pics up quick.

3. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

yeah. keen to see condition of gully's etc on bogong. which way up did you go and whereabouts did solid snowline start?

4. positron

positron Hard Yards Endless Winter

Went up the 'real way' (TM), aka the Staircase. On the way up there was no skiable snow until the tree line, so it was nothing like the same time last year when there was 1m at Bivouac. On the way down there was about 30cm at Bivouac and skinable about 1 km below the hut. I was forced to boot it from the tree line on the way down due to the snow being slush (every step went up to the knee).