TR - Dead Horse Gap - Ramshead - DHG Aug 8th

DagdaMor

Hard Yards
Jul 28, 2008
Sorry no pics, you'll just have to imagine!

TL;DR version - Mixed wx, awesome turns in snow ranging from a bit heavy to powdery dry, deep enough not to bottom out in the old muck. Lots of camo'd rocks still so choose your turns on thinner slopes.

Just a quick one, took a friend over from WA out for the day yesterday. Originally had a long weekend planned but one party dislocated and fractured a thumb descending from Twynam saddle a couple of weeks ago (it's always the fall on flat ground that does it), and we weren't excited by forecasts/reports of the weekend conditions.

Evidence of dcent fresh snow was encouraging on the drive up to DHG, but it was quite warm as we got going. Fresh snow was pretty wet and heavy, and remained so as we followed another party's skin track up towards the 2052 feature, departing the track to follow the N-S creek. Wandered over to the knoll N of 2052 to get a look across Leatherbarrel, and decided with conditions overnight the lee loading in an open gully descending from the main spur that runs W off the Rams Head looked the go (hope that makes sense).

We met the tracks of a couple of skiers as we pulled skins and had a sammich, and thought we'd been pipped, but they went skiers right as we went left so got the gully all to ourselves - sweet! A bit heavy but nice and deep, bouncy turns - smiles from ear to ear
smile.gif
. Back up and then down right through the trees to just above LBC.

Skinned up to shelter behind an outcrop approaching the summit of the Rams Head for another sammich, then started the run home with glorious cruiser turns in still dry, powdery snow. Such relaxed skiing I almost fell over from not paying attention; so much fun we skinned back to the summit for another run!
thumbsup.gif

Conditions got crusty as we dropped below 1900m which made the ski down to DHG a bit trying at times, though it eased up once we got below the freezing level which was about 1700 at that point.

Weather was variable with vis coming and going but never poor, some wet/some dry snow showers, and light-moderate wind at times.

There were a few people out for the night - passed a camp around 2052 feature - and boy did the SE facing runs in to LBC look inviting
licklips.gif

DM

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
minimum standard thjis year is pics with naked from thje waist up, females are allowed to be not facing the camera.

aparently there is also a rule about how long you have to wear undies, but i guess most will break that rule.

DagdaMor

Hard Yards
Jul 28, 2008
Friend had a camera so I'll see if I can get some off her, though unless she was quick I'm doubtful about a topless shot!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass