News Track clearing. East Tyers track/AAWT .25-27/1/20

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Volunteers are needed for track clearing with Parks Vic. and Bushwalking Vic. working together to keep this area open to walkers. This is in the area listed as
Walk No. 29 in the
" Bushwalking in the Vic. Alps"
Guide book by Glenn van Der Thingy.

If you have any questions, please contact:

Joe van Beek
Mobile: 0411 749 799
Email: joevanbeek@bigpond.com

Tracks: Guys Hut – Wonnangatta and Bryce Gorge Circuit see below for new details
Area/Park: Alpine National Park – Howitt Plains
Project Leader/Contact: (name and number) Joe van Beek
Phone: 0411 749 799
Where to meet: Guys Hut Campground, Mt Howitt Rd – Howitt Plains see below for new details
Duration: Given the distances involved is it anticipated that everyone will drive up on Friday. Initial meeting and safety briefing will be at the campsite 8:30 am, The plan is to work the Saturday and Sunday and finish and pack-up mid-day on Monday.
Skills needed: Jobs include chainsawing, brush cutting, hedge trimmers, general lopping and clearing of debris.
Transport: Own transport. Suitable for 2WD vehicles. The campsite is approximately 320 km from Melbourne with a travel time of 6 hours.
Accommodation: We will be camping at Guys Hut Campground. It has a drop toilet, fireplaces and river water a short distance away.
We’ll provide: Protective safety gear, helmets etc.
Conor Wilson, Ranger Parks Victoria is planning on being with us all weekend. Parks Victoria will provide a BBQ, salad, bread etc. for Saturday night dinner.
Please bring: You will need to be self-sufficient for camping and all other meals. It is recommended you bring your own water although river water is available. You will need a day pack for your lunch, water, snacks, clothing for Alpine conditions etc.
Scope of work: Chain sawing, brush clearance, general lopping and raking.
Meeting time: Saturday 25th January at 8:30 am
Finish time: Monday 27th January at mid-day
PLEASE REGISTER HERE BY 15 JANUARY 2020
If you have any questions, please contact:

Joe van Beek
Mobile: 0411 749 799

THANK YOU for your generous gift of time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tanuki

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
This track clearing weekend, this weekend , has been moved to the East Tyers track/AAWT area near the start of the AAWT in the Erica/ Walhalla/ Mt.Baw Baw area. Contact detail are still as above.
That seems a little more sensible given the current conditions :thumbs:
Maybe you should change the thread title to reflect change of venue?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I don't know how to edit the title of the thread. The edit period has elapsed.
Lodge a report explaining what you want & a mod will get onto it. I can’t do it on the phone but some other mod will pick up the report & action it.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Bushwalking Track and Conservation ( BTAC) working bee took place over the January long Weekend and it was a success . Much work was completed, many leeches got some fresh humans to dine on and I cut more logs with my Makita chainsaw than I have previously done so in my whole life.
I cut some reasonably sized poles and plastic wedges and my crow bar came in handy.
. The AAWT from the East Tyers River campsite to Mt. Erica is approximately 13 kms. It is a steady ascent of up to 1300 M. in elevation gain.
If February is offering a suitable weather window then I think I will give this a go and aim to camp near the Rock Shelter on the Baw Baw Plateau pole line/ AAWT. Carrying extra water may be necessary.

The East Tyers river was flowing well. Drinking the water unfiltered had no deleterious effects on my constitution. The walking track along the East Tyers river is scenic and soothing and much slashing , chopping , lopping and raking was done out that way too. Much evidence of past logging activity can be seen with saw milling relics and rusty old tram tracks here and there.
It was very humid and sticky in that river valley . I met bushwalkers on Sat. and Monday on the AAWT. So some people are still going out to the Baw Baw N.P. and surrounds to get their nature fix.
The East Tyers campsite would be perfect for spending a night before or a night after skiing at Mt. St. Gwinear or Mt Baw Baw.It has a pit loo, river water , easy access from the South Face road and some flat campsites as well as a picnic table.
It was really good to get back out into the bush again after a month of no bushwalking due to the bushfires.
The photos will help tell the story.
_SAM6494.JPG
_SAM6495.JPG
_SAM6496.JPG
_SAM6497.JPG
_SAM6501.JPG
_SAM6499.JPG
_SAM6498.JPG
_SAM6500.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Carrying power tools such as a 2 stroke metal blade brush cutter, a chain saw etc. over many fallen log crossings across the upper East Tyers river ( a.k.a Leechistan) was interesting.
Some of the BTAC people helped build a new bridge over the stream just a few kilometres away from the Caringal Scout Camp( near Tyers Junction) , and they put in new signs ; high visibility flagging tape and guide ropes over log crossings of the stream with treated pine posts and the like.
I had never been to these places before. They are just under 3 hours drive from Melbourne and quite unaffected by the bushfires.
The initial section the AAWT from The East Tyers river crossing heading up the ridge towards the Mt. Erica road was very overgrown and full of sizable fallen logs. That section of the track is much improved now so get out there and walk it and see what we have managed to achieve.
_SAM6512.JPG
_SAM6513.JPG
_SAM6514.JPG
_SAM6515.JPG
_SAM6516.JPG
_SAM6517.JPG
_SAM6518.JPG
_SAM6519.JPG
_SAM6520.JPG
_SAM6522.JPG
_SAM6523.JPG
_SAM6524.JPG

Last edited:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Good effort Mr T and fellow volunteers. However, this is the AAWT. Surely Parks Victoria should maintain it? Last time I was on the other side of the plateau, the track was almost impassable out towards Mt Whitelaw. It is an internationally recognised walk. I have met a Japanese hiker up there as well as folk from the U.S.A. PV should do much more. ( PS Watch out for snakes at this time of year; have seen tiger snake on that track near Tyers camp, which did not want to move from sunny spot.)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Good effort Mr T and fellow volunteers. However, this is the AAWT. Surely Parks Victoria should maintain it? Last time I was on the other side of the plateau, the track was almost impassable out towards Mt Whitelaw. It is an internationally recognised walk. I have met a Japanese hiker up there as well as folk from the U.S.A. PV should do much more. ( PS Watch out for snakes at this time of year; have seen tiger snake on that track near Tyers camp, which did not want to move from sunny spot.)
Parks Vic. have no money and hardly any personnel to spare. We were supervised/organized into teams by our dear leader Joe Van Beek from BTAC. No DEWLP or Parks Vic. staff were present. The East Tyers track work falls under the DEWLP area of administration . The AAWT in this section is mainly within the Baw Baw National Park rather than the Erica State Forest.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Find the funding and they would.
The VNPA are lobbying the State Gummint (sic) to increase funding for all Parks Vic. from 0.5 % of the total annual state budget to a whopping 1 %.
The next BTAC working bee will be on the March Long weekend and will be on the AAWT at Mt. Wills. One hopes the roads and parks are open then and that the bushfires do not cause a cancellation or relocation for this planned volunteer operation.

Reactions: skifree

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Oh ..very pleasing photos.You are getting good with chainsaw now.Yes ...just use those wedges.I regret it immediately when I jamb a bar and have not placed a wedge.It is good to see that Parks /DSE are now utilising volunteers more readily.Its the only way of keeping these tracks open.And some unofficial work parties go down well too!Its rewarding work....sometimes camping and doing a single km,of walking track and then staggering back for lunch...then returning to do some more!Just as rewarding as a long walk!
I do wish Xplora would walk his chainsaw up to Mt Wills from Sunnyside ....he is always up at Mt Wills but I could as easily organise a private weekend and check the route and do some clearing !

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The VNPA are lobbying the State Gummint (sic) to increase funding for all Parks Vic. from 0.5 % of the total annual state budget to a whopping 1 %.
The next BTAC working bee will be on the March Long weekend and will be on the AAWT at Mt. Wills. One hopes the roads and parks are open then and that the bushfires do not cause a cancellation or relocation for this planned volunteer operation.

After the 1939 fires there was some crazy number of kilometres of access tracks cut throughout Vicco Parks, forests, reserves and so on. The requirement for these tracks came out of the Royal Commission post these fires. Over the years funding to maintain these tracks which form the basis of a very significant number of walking tracks and trails has either never been provided or cut or had to be re-directed by Parks.

It would be reasonable to think that the lessons of the past do not need to be re-learnt and that funding to clear and maintain these tracks and trails could be found.

But being a now a political matter and it being about money I do not think we can expect any reasonable response apart from saying thanks to volunteers for coming, great job and can you please clear and cut the rest of the 100s of kms of tracks for free as well thanks.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I do wish Xplora would walk his chainsaw up to Mt Wills from Sunnyside ....he is always up at Mt Wills but I could as easily organise a private weekend and check the route and do some clearing !
Seems it has been some time since you have been there. An officially sanctioned work party has already done this and in fact it has been done a number of times in recent years. I also do not need anymore volunteer work with PV. Already have enough. Funding does become available for the AAWT at various times and when there is money, PV staff get to the business of spending it on the track. They canvass stakeholders and vested groups also so the money is spent appropriately. It is difficult juggling track work with fire duties and fire duties take precedence. There is therefore only some small windows of opportunity to get track work done. People interested in particular sections of the AAWT are able band together to set up a work group but PV prefer to work with recognised bodies such as Bushwalking Vic and VNPA. Just have to contact the local PV office and get it started. The expectation that PV should do all the work is in my view abdicating the responsibility we all have to look after our parks but as always it is better done under the supervision of the land manager. There are also matters of public safety and liability to consider. I don't have the insurance to cover unforeseen issues that arise from unauthorised work.

Reactions: skifree

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass