1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed tracked price increase

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Snowdayyy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

I'm tracking a fare from Melbourne to Queenstown (NZ) return and the price just went up from $412 to $432. Should I buy my tickets now before it rises even further? I know you don't have any concrete data but what would you say from personal / anectodal experience?

I'm so annoyed that it's already 20 bucks more expensive than it was a few days ago :/

2. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Make sure your cookies are deleted when you shut down your browser, or use private tab when searching for fares ;)

3. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

yeah first thing I did haha, unfortunately was still the same :cry:

I was hoping jetstar would chuck out an easter sale to queenstown but alas no luck yet

4. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

It likely means they're selling out of the lower fare classes. They can of course release more of those fares but if it's an Aussie airline during school holidays it's unlikely.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/what-airline-fare-classes-tell-you-about-your-ticket/

Snowdayyy likes this.
  5. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

6. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Also the airline knows how often a route/date is being searched so I am sure they have some demand algorithms set up to maximise their revenue.

7. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

$432 for Melb - Queenstown return seems pretty reasonable. I'd book it.
    Can't imagine it being much cheaper even if more discount fares are released.

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

There was an article last week saying that flights from Oz to QTown are the worst value per mile than any other international destination.

9. travelislife

Depends when you go/buy! We went over Labour day long weekend and paid $280 return. Very good value.

10. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Used to be London to Brussels or Paris.

11. Apresski

According to Skyscanner Jetstar still have flights for $376 on Saturday 28th. I put in a return the following Saturday, not knowing your dates. The flight is early morning though.

https://www.skyscanner.com.au/trans...lse&inboundaltsenabled=false&ref=home#results

12. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

This is my first time booking international flights lol, I've just gone into the jetstar booking page and from the $432 which is the starter fare (7kg carry on), the minimum additional money I have to spend is $31 each way for +15 kg (I think it's +15 kg and not just 15kg in total including the 7kg I already had), and then there's the $25 oversized baggage fee each way for my snowboard.

That's $112 on top of the stated fare lol, is this normal?

PS: joining club jetstar saves me $32.40 but it's a $49 joining fee so still costs $16.60 on top so don't think it's worth joining

13. Apresski

Same if you book Jetstar for a domestic flight.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  14. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

yup true, just meant that I'm new to the whole booking for a snow trip with gear and oversized baggage haha

15. travelislife

Pick another airline where snow gear isn't considered oversize and you don't need to pay.

It's actually how Jetstar win a lot of business. Their 'headline' fares appear cheaper, but by the time you add everything on that you get with a full service carrier it is often more expensive. This was commonly the case with MEL-BKK-MEL. Thai often cheaper once you add all the Jetstar crap, and a much more comfortable economy experience.

Born2ski and Apresski like this.
  16. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

yeah part of Jetstar's model I guess
    don't really have any other options for flying to Queenstown, Jetstar and AirNZ are the only two options it seems and jetstar is definitely the cheaper one there

17. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I can attest - cost me $900 in 2009 or 2011 I think.

18. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Is Virgin an option for getting to QT? Sometimes their flights can be cheaper than Air NZ, and they aren’t stingy wirh bag allowances like Jetstar.

I was booking flights for our trip to QT in July at the end of last year, and it seemed to depend on what day of the week you were looking at prices and which extras you wanted as to whether Virgin of Air NZ were cheaper. After our experience last year*, I ended up booking with Air NZ again and adding the works package.

*Last year I thought I’d save some money and book seat + bag flights and feed the kids before and after the flight. Bad move - they didn’t like the food at the airport they chose, so refused to eat it (didn’t see the McDonald’s until after shelling out $$$ for food they didn’t eat). Then they whinged on the plane because they didn’t get a meal and couldn’t access all of the in-flight entertainment options. Then to top it all off, we were within visual distance of QT when we had to divert to Christchurch due to a technical issue with the plane that couldn’t be fixed at QT. Air NZ were great in that they put us up overnight in town with no cost to us and got us to QT the next morning, but we were stuck in a 2 hour long queue with hungry kids to get everything sorted. From memory, hubby went and grabbed food for the kids to eat, but it would have been slightly more bearable if we’d eaten on the plane.