Trade in your Spider Chains at Roof Carrier Systems

There ARE options if you have purchased Konig/Thule K-Summit or Rud Centrax spider chains that are now not permitted to be used at Mount Hotham.

At Roof Carrier Systems we have found that some people who have been sold spider chains do not actually require them because in many cases there is sufficient clearance to fit a "thinner" conventional diamond pattern snow chain to their vehicle.

Most convention diamond pattern snow chains are 16 mm, RCS have diamond pattern chains available in 12, 10, 9 and even 7 mm.
RCS will check and accurately measure the clearance on your vehicle using special gauges. We can then offer you an alternative and trade back your spider chains.

http://roofcarriersystems.com.au/snow-chains/

Another alternative to allow diamond pattern snow chains to be fitted is to use a Nokian winter tyre and wheel package to replace your high performance summer tyres.

If you have a Volvo XC 90 with 255/50R19 tyres this is the only option available to comply with the new requirements at Hotham.

By purchasing a set of Nokian tyres and using them for 3-4 months of the snow season you will make the vehicle safer, your vehicle will perform as the manufacturer intended and the bonus is you will effectively extend the life of your original tyres by 3-4 months a year. By upgrading your vehicle, with the fitting of Nokian snow tyres for the ski season, your family and other road users will be safer as you will dramatically improve the driving, traction and braking of your vehicle whether snow chains are fitted or not.

http://www.snowtyres.com.au/

For details of the best option for your vehicle call RCS on 03 9822 9539 or Richard on 0418 324 052
 
Last edited by a moderator:

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
40,635
7,941
1,525
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Note that at Victorian resorts you will still be required to fit chains when directed, regardless of whether you have winter tyres on or not.

Since the resorts tend to err on the side of conservatism and direct you to fit chains at the first hint of snow, this means that the actual worth of winter tyres is highly questionable since you will be likely fitting chains anyway.

Having driven a huge amount in the snow on winter and summer tyres in Australia (10 years of driving to Hotham every fortnight), America, Canada, Europe and 3 years of living and driving in Norway, personally I think you would be absolutely MAD to buy winter tyres in Australia.
 

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
72,641
65,267
1,525
Mountains
Then again, given the outlay on the bigg ass euro 4wd in the first place ... What's another $1500 in the equation. Winter wheels + snow tyres + compliant chains if required on the day.
 

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
19,165
17,713
813
Eastern Subs Syd
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Then again, given the outlay on the bigg ass euro 4wd in the first place ... What's another $1500 in the equation. Winter wheels + snow tyres + compliant chains if required on the day.
That's only $200 per tyre and wheel, for a big ass euro 4WD tyre and wheel combo. Sign me up.
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
40,635
7,941
1,525
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
They are also noisier, wear out more quickly and having had to change between winter and summer tyres every 6 months and store the spare set of tyres somewhere I can attest to the fact it is a pain in the proverbial.

I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $1000, for one thing you could get a few chartered chopper trips per year from Melbourne to the snow if you could find a few mates willing to pitch in the same
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
72,641
65,267
1,525
Mountains
Looks like the only option then if you want to go to Hotham is not to buy a Volvo XC 90 with 255/50R19 tyres
 

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
53,341
25,001
1,563
58
Canning Vale, Perth
AstroSki66 said:
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Then again, given the outlay on the bigg ass euro 4wd in the first place ... What's another $1500 in the equation. Winter wheels + snow tyres + compliant chains if required on the day.
That's only $200 per tyre and wheel, for a big ass euro 4WD tyre and wheel combo. Sign me up.
wink.gif

do you have 7.5 wheels on yours?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
50,770
25,145
1,515
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
snowtyres said:
Another alternative to allow diamond pattern snow chains to be fitted is to use a Nokian winter tyre and wheel package to replace your high performance summer tyres.

If you have a Volvo XC 90 with 255/50R19 tyres this is the only option available to comply with the new requirements at Hotham.
Wrong! What about other brands of winter tyre? Nokian is not the only brand, but it is the most expensive. What about fitting summer tyres with new wheels?
ST, you are wrong!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
19,165
17,713
813
Eastern Subs Syd
gareth_oau said:
AstroSki66 said:
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Then again, given the outlay on the bigg ass euro 4wd in the first place ... What's another $1500 in the equation. Winter wheels + snow tyres + compliant chains if required on the day.
That's only $200 per tyre and wheel, for a big ass euro 4WD tyre and wheel combo. Sign me up.
wink.gif

do you have 7.5 wheels on yours?
Ducky changed his post. He had $1000 for winter tyres and wheels. Then added $1500 for tyres, wheels and chains.

$1000 for 5 winter tyres and wheels = $200 per.

Still waiting for ST to confirm figure. so I can bring the car in next week.

Just going to resell on ebay. Reckon I could start an online business.
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
24,302
11,614
1,063
a galaxy far, far away.
trappers said:
Note that at Victorian resorts you will still be required to fit chains when directed, regardless of whether you have winter tyres on or not.

Sorry, cos I drift in and out of these ongoing tyres/chains discussions...

How does one tell if tyres are indeed "winter" tyres or if they are just regular wombat magnets?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
4,449
2,252
363
43
Nagano
A snowflake on the sidewall is the standard symbol.

If I lived at the snow and did the drive every or most days I would have snow tyres for sure, for those of us who drive a few hundred klm to get there its not worth it.
People need to stop being nasty to snowtyres, he actually has some good advice and does help people unlike some of "team internet cool kids" who await his every post so they can launch the latest attack.
 

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
24,952
8,855
1,063
Gippsland
BobGnarly said:
A snowflake on the sidewall is the standard symbol.

If I lived at the snow and did the drive every or most days I would have snow tyres for sure, for those of us who drive a few hundred klm to get there its not worth it.
People need to stop being nasty to snowtyres, he actually has some good advice and does help people unlike some of "team internet cool kids" who await his every post so they can launch the latest attack.

Can I say 'True Dat" /\, without being thought of as a 'cool kid'?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
18,212
548
813
Melbourne, Vic
BobGnarly said:
A snowflake on the sidewall is the standard symbol.

If I lived at the snow and did the drive every or most days I would have snow tyres for sure, for those of us who drive a few hundred klm to get there its not worth it.
People need to stop being nasty to snowtyres, he actually has some good advice and does help people unlike some of "team internet cool kids" who await his every post so they can launch the latest attack.

It's not snowtyres fault that Hotham RMB have instigated this rule.

If you have a Volvo XC90, he has rightly pointed out that there is a solution for you and if it means that you have to change tyres to go up the mountain, then that's the price for buying the Volvo XC90.

If others find there is another alternative, that snowtyres may not know exists or that others assume he is not telling anyone, then there is still a nice way of saying it.

They are the only ones who are offering people to come in and trade in what they brought earlier and get what they require irrespective of where they purchased. That goodwill counts for something as they never had to extend that out to so many people.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mogul

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2004
5,039
3,489
563
51
Upper Northern Beaches, Sydney
snowtyres said:
There are different brands of tyres have the snowflake-on-the-mountain peak symbol.

The snowflake-on-the-mountain-peak symbol indicates a severe snow service conditions rating.

Fixed to reflect actual facts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Snorkler said:
If you have a Volvo XC90, he has rightly pointed out that there is a solution for you and if it means that you have to change tyres to go up the mountain, then that's the price for buying the Volvo XC90.

Yes there are costs for a Volvo XC90 owner fitted with 255/50R19 summer tyres to comply with the RMB requirements.
The safest solution is to use 17" or 18" wheels and winter tyres, some XC90 owners will, some won't.

The cost of 4 x Nokian 235/65R17 Winter Tyres , 4 x new aftermarket replacement 17" alloy wheels and pair of Thule XG12-247 snow chains approved for use at Mount Hotham is $2900.00 including GST and fitting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
RCS is a major supplier of "Spider Chains", Rud Centrax, Thule K-Summit & Konig K-Summit to our local market.
We have checked our sales records for the past 7 years and we have found that ALL the spider chains RCS has supplied over this time have been purchased for vehicles that have wheel & tyre combinations that have insufficient clearance to fit conventional chains.

Users have reported two issues when using spider chains.

1) The spider chain will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin inside the spider chain on take off.

2) The spider chain can 'roll off' the tyre when cornering.

This 'roll off' problem is compounded by insufficient grip from the tyre, the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle and the amount of tread on the tyre that is not covered by the chain.
The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked over night, or longer, at the resort because of the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain mesh.

These two problems occur because there is insufficient grip from the tyre to the chain mesh. With spider chains as there is no way the chain mesh can be "tightened" on to the tyre once they are fitted. The chain mesh is always "loose" by design to provide the automatic-drive away fitting and easy removal features.

When the grip from the tyre to the chain mesh is increased by using a winter tyre the problems are eliminated and the chain performs well as illustrated in the European performance tests referred to in the previous posts. In this video from Rud you will see how 'loose' the correctly fitted Centrax chain is on the winter tyre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoHJtg8lpY

The problem is not the attaching components that clamp on to the wheel nut.

Even if a spider chain is listed in the chain suppliers fit guide there is NO warranty/guarantee from any of the snow chain makers, Rud, Konig and Thule, when snow chains are used on a tyre and wheel combination that is not approved for fitting snow chains by the vehicle manufacturer.

As Hotham RMB have found there have been operational issues when spider snow chain systems are used on 2WD & 4WD vehicles fitted with high performance "summer" tyres and this is why, in conjunction with VicRoads and Victoria Police, the policy has been implemented.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
43,929
30,318
1,563
macdonaltown
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Looks like the only option then if you want to go to Hotham is not to buy a Volvo XC 90 with 255/50R19 tyres
their prevalence in Mosman suggests that they might also be the Toorak Tractor of choice
 
Last edited by a moderator:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
72,641
65,267
1,525
Mountains
snowtyres said:
RCS is a major supplier of "Spider Chains", Rud Centrax, Thule K-Summit & Konig K-Summit to our local market.
We have checked our sales records for the past 7 years and we have found that ALL the spider chains RCS has supplied over this time have been purchased for vehicles that have wheel & tyre combinations that have insufficient clearance to fit conventional chains.

Users have reported two issues when using spider chains.

1) The spider chain will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin inside the spider chain on take off.

2) The spider chain can 'roll off' the tyre when cornering.

This 'roll off' problem is compounded by insufficient grip from the tyre, the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle and the amount of tread on the tyre that is not covered by the chain.
The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked over night, or longer, at the resort because of the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain mesh.

These two problems occur because there is insufficient grip from the tyre to the chain mesh. With spider chains as there is no way the chain mesh can be "tightened" on to the tyre once they are fitted. The chain mesh is always "loose" by design to provide the automatic-drive away fitting and easy removal features.

When the grip from the tyre to the chain mesh is increased by using a winter tyre the problems are eliminated and the chain performs well as illustrated in the European performance tests referred to in the previous posts. In this video from Rud you will see how 'loose' the correctly fitted Centrax chain is on the winter tyre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoHJtg8lpY

The problem is not the attaching components that clamp on to the wheel nut.

Even if a spider chain is listed in the chain suppliers fit guide there is NO warranty/guarantee from any of the snow chain makers, Rud, Konig and Thule, when snow chains are used on a tyre and wheel combination that is not approved for fitting snow chains by the vehicle manufacturer.

As Hotham RMB have found there have been operational issues when spider snow chain systems are used on 2WD & 4WD vehicles fitted with high performance "summer" tyres and this is why, in conjunction with VicRoads and Victoria Police, the policy has been implemented.

Close the thread.

Snow Tyres has summarised the situation accurately and factually.

He sells Nokian snow tyres, as do others. If you do some research you may find other places that stock alternate brand snow tyres. Many outlets hire chains and some of theses outlets know their business and many are just "chains on a rack" type outlets..

Hotham RMB is free to make whatever decisions they wish in regards to who accesses the resort in winter and how.

Remember ... steady uphill, slow down, the only thing holding you on the road is your tyres and your vehicle\conditions awareness and driver attitude.

Good luck
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass