1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

trail guides

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Snowball, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Snowball

Snowball Hard Yards

Look, I know this is going to sound really woosie but ...

I'm a greenie and proud [​IMG] Looking at a trail guide in the Thredbo planner, specifically for green runs, there's the big lonnnng run down the Village Trail which takes you all the way down to the bottom.

However, looking at Gunbarrel Express, you can find a few green runs around the Cruiser. But what happens when I want to join my daughter at Friday Flat? I can only see blue runs and the Schuss [​IMG]

So, is there a green way down from the Cruiser that I've missed?

Or do I just have to suck it up, and take the blue Traverse across to the Village Trail?

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>... (or feign injury ... )</span>

#1 Snowball, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  2. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

If you dont want to traverse over to Crackers, you can download on Gunbarell chair to fridays. But i reccomend you give high noon a try before you download though.

3. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Snowball, yes the only way from the Cruiser to Friday Flat without taking off your skis/board (without going down a blue run)is to go along the tranverse (which is really green), go part way down the Village Trail, then go left and down Sundowner (green) which takes you back to Friday Flat.
    You can take your skis/board off and download and catch The Gunbarrel Chair to Friday Flat, which is a fast alternative, if you don't want to ski/board all the way aroooound!
    You can also ski down the Village Trail after the Tranverse to the base of the Kosi Chair and catch the free shuttle bus back to F/Flat.
    Have fun!

4. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

I would not suggest High Noon to someone who says they only want to stick to green runs.

5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Neither would I!

6. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

Even the Traverse can be a bit sketchy for beginners or timid skiers. It's narrow, it crosses a few runs and two t-bar tracks and it can get busy.

7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

What PD said.

You need to be a level 4 (lower intermediate) skier to successfully negotiate the "trails" from either the top of Crackenback or Gunbarrel to Friday Flat.

The "Green" shown on the trail maps is marketing hype only.

8. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

Well, the green "Village Trail" is the easiest way down the Crackenback side, but it's no beginner run.

9. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Another option to the Gunbarrel download (which is easy to do) is to download on Merritts chair to halfway and then ski back to Friday Flat ... IMHO this is a harder download than the Gunbarrel though....

Dr Wood Duck - it is the EASIEST way down from each of those points - which is what shows on the trail map... and both are FAR easier than Big Emma at Snowbird which is also green... until the system changes from trail marking as "relative" to the other trails on that part of the hill to a "worldwide or national standard grade" they are correctly marked as green... just not that easy for beginners...

10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us

Another possibility is to have a few more lessons and build up your confidence and skill.

I can't really add anything to what the others have said above. Highnoon can be a challenge, but it is also a trail generally wide enough for you to take your time going down and not feel threatened by overtakers as you would on some of the narrower ones.

Good luck with it.

#10 Kangaroo, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I agree. You'll feel threatened by overtakers on High Noon for completely different reasons than you would on the traverse. It's steep enough in parts to get yourself into trouble, there are a lot of people on it, and you encounter everything from ski racers to 1st-dayers on it. I'd avoid it completely until you feel completely happy with everything Merritts can throw at you (except the Powder Bowl), and then ideally I'd try and go in a lesson. In fact, I think Supertrail (on the Snowgums side) is probably easier than High Noon.

I'd go with Little Tiger's suggestion. Download on Merritt's chair to the Creek Station (a 10-minute ride, as opposed to 25 minutes down to Valley Terminal) and slide down to FF from there. It's a gentler slope than FF, but you offload in a position where you can get a bit of a look at the steep part of High Noon without having to actually slide on it.

Take some lessons so you can slide blue runs, then you'll be able to take off and really enjoy the interesting (and less crowded) parts of Thredbo.

#11 Piste Again, Aug 13, 2007
  12. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

Just cruise down the Merritts Cat track. That will take you all the way to Friday Flat, You just have to watch out for the gravel just before you get to the back of Fridays.

High noon is pretty much a green run first thing in the morning, but the afternoon can get icey and bumpy.

13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us

God I love Thredbo.

14. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I'd have to disagree. It's far too steep to be green even in nice conditions, and on an icy morning when it's "golf balls and tennis balls" it's very hard work, even for an experienced slider.

#14 Piste Again, Aug 14, 2007
  15. Snowball

Snowball Hard Yards

Thanks for your comments, guys. Conservatism won out! Two reasons - I have a dodgy knee and old, badly healed broken toe, and paternal protectionism (is that 3 reasons?)

I spent most of my first day (Monday) finding my feet at FF while my 10yo daughter was in Freeriders (also at FF!). Then, after the lessons ended at 4pm, we just skied together at FF till the lifts stopped.

Then on Tuesday my daughter wanted to ski down to FF from the Bunnywalk. Seeing as it was a green run I thought that should be OK... except that first thing in the morning it was a wee bit icy (did I mention I have a dodgy knee anyway? [​IMG] which makes turns on icy bits v hard*). While we were doing big, gentle turns at the Village Trail bit, we were OK. Then in Sundowner, it got a bit icier in the trees but we were still going OK. Until my daughter all of a sudden took off, Dad yelling "slow down", just managing to stay on the track until where Sundowner joins High Noon when she stopped and told me she didn't mean to go so fast, she couldn't stop! On account of my knee and paternal protectionism, we then just skied FF (I know - woosy but she really just wanted to ski with her Dad, practice her turns and have fun - 2 years ago when we first went skiing, I hurt myself during the day and couldn't ski with her after her lesson and this kinda ruined it for her [​IMG] )

But on Wednesday, we went up to the Basin and after teh first couple of slow cautious runs (a couple of stacks in the icy patches but at least the Basin's bigger!), and morning tea at The Eagles Nest, we had fun there esp when the snow had softened a bit. And looking at the trail guide, we went down a blue bit down toward the T-bar when someone pulled out in front of us and it was turn or crash! Oh yes, we saw one woman get carried down by the ski patrol and a guy limping up to the Kozzy Express with a sprained ankle!

( * I'm sure my doctor/physio would say give up basketball and snowsports but I haven't asked them yet)

So, overall, discretion is the better part of valour but we had fun anyway [​IMG]

#15 Snowball, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  16. 10legs

10legs One of Us

wise choices and a fun day. Sounds good.

I caved in to my 8 year old in June. He was certain after a run on FF that he remembered Merits and would be fine (now if you have an 8 year old, you'll know how determined they can be).

A third of the way down he was lying on his back(for the 100th time) bawling at me that it was too hard and then we had a big fight about how mum DOES know best and will we LISTEN in future etc etc. Because it took so long we missed his Freeriders start and had to chase them back up the mountain. All in all a sad and wasted morning. Woulda been much more fun just shooshing down FF.

17. Snowball

Snowball Hard Yards

8 year old, 10legs? well, they know it all through to 10 and 12 (and furhter according to friends with older children!)

The bit about having a hot chocolate at Eagles Nest was a delaying tactic coz my daughter wanted to go back to FF after teh first 2 runs on the basin being a bit icy and unfamiliar. But I knew with just a litle bit of time, they would soften (and they did) so we had a better time (and built a snowman [​IMG] )

#17 Snowball, Sep 4, 2007
  18. Fishy

Fishy First Runs

try controlling a 12 year old boy that after 5 days of thredbo free-riders that the point of learning to jump is NOT to fly down the hill as fast as possible towards the jumps at merritts, and gain as much speed as possible before launching yourself into the air, snowboard above the head and landing on your back! yes, they know everything, in a quarter the time it took us to learn what little we already know, and our warnings, simple punishments just to make their lives difficult.

of course, they come begging when everything hurts and they need a hot chocolate! [​IMG]

#18 Fishy, Sep 5, 2007
  19. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Traverse to Village. Or download on the old Merrits Chair.

[​IMG]

#19 VSG, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013