This is the cover of the Howitt trailhead logbook:

(click for full size)

Last edited by a moderator:

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Had a bout of gastro from there myself some years back. There was some sort of wiggly, whitish nematode in the creek. It passed..........

gusc

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Alex.C said:
This is the cover of the Howitt trailhead logbook:

(click for full size)
To summarise the cattlemen: "I had a tiny look at something 20 minutes after it happened on one occasion", which I imply means they think it will always be fine everywhere. Thanks for that. Brilliant.

Is Mac Springs in the Nat Park?

telemarx

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
newcastle, nsw, australia
PK Sawd said:
It passed..........
laugh.gif
Quietly or otherwise?

CaptainC

Addicted
Jun 15, 2005
Melbourne
Mac Springs is in the National Park. Ralph Barraclough is a grazier between Licola and Heyfield and is well known for constantly pushing the 'grazing is good for the High Country' line. I remember last year he wrote a letter to 'The Age' with some quotes from a scientist appearing to back his arguments. A couple of days later there was a letter from the scientist saying that he had been quoted out of context and he was completely in favour of banning cattle grazing from the Alps.

Ther have been worms in Mac Springs since I started going there (early 80's). I remember when I started going there, there was an article in the hut log book saying that the writer took a sample of the worms and had them tested. They were a type that didn't affect humans. I've been drinking from Mac Springs for over 20 years with no ill effects.

sidetrack

One of Us
Apr 20, 2005
Sunbury
Heaps of people dont get sick from the water at Mac Springs. Wont stop me filtering it first though. What #$%^ me off though is when someone tells me I dont need to filter it. For the extra 2mins it takes me to filter it I will take the better to be safe than sorry attitude.

I personally think its some of the worst water in the alps.

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Fair 'nuff Captain. There are plenty of other opportunities to get gastro bugs while camping, Human faecal coliforms and such. Nonetheless, it's a disturbing sight for the uninitiated.

No Telemarx, it did not go quietly!!!

Was up your way for just over a day last weekend but had no real opportunity to organise a get together. Billy lids and such..... Will likely be up there again though.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
My 1st proper bushwalk involved going past Mac Springs. And a few Summer and Winter vists since have not produced any water induced issues. A few alcohol side effects that the water did nto cure...stupid water.
wink.gif

gusc

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
sidetrack said:
Heaps of people dont get sick from the water at Mac Springs. Wont stop me filtering it first though. What #$%^ me off though is when someone tells me I dont need to filter it. For the extra 2mins it takes me to filter it I will take the better to be safe than sorry attitude.

I personally think its some of the worst water in the alps.
I wouldn't bother filtering that water, it's OK.

Ooops, sorry.
wink.gif

snowshoe_fiend

Hard Yards
Dec 29, 2000
Melbourne
If an organism is big enough to see (nematodes, larvae, small fish, etc), it's probably big enough to get caught in a strainer made of pantyhose. If you haven't got any pantyhose, you could borrow some from a passing snowboarder.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass