1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trains in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by snowjunky, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

Hmmm maybe it was closer to New Years that they said was busy (quick goodle search told me that). Heard the info off someone I am travelling with who heard it off someone in Japan so maybe it got mixed up somewhere along the line. [​IMG] Cheers Sandy

#101 Mark102, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. snowjunky

snowjunky Hard Yards

A Question for Sandy the train info Guru.
    I am thinking of doing a day trip from my digs in Shinjuku to Nikko.
    Q1 - Which would be the best travel option considering I could use 1 day of my JREast pass?
    Q2 - have you been there? & if so how do you rate it for cultural interest, scenery etc.

3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

1. If you have the JR East flexi, then the easiest is (Shinjuku - Tokyo, JR Chuo Rapid), Tokyo - Utsunomiya on the Shinkansen, Utsunomiya - Nikko on the JR Nikko line. Takes about under 2 hours at the right times.

2. There are two things to do at Nikko:
    a. The Tokugawa Yaesu (first of the Tokugawa shoguns) shrine. There are numerous elaborate shrines dedicated to Tokugawa.
    b. The lake(s) up the top and the waterfalls, and the scenery. Spectacular. Last time I was there, I spent all the time up around the lakes. There's actually a ski slope near the small top lake!! I'd say there's a fair chance the lake is frozen by the end of January!!!!

If you want to do both, you should really spend two days. However, if you leave just after 8am, you'll be there by 10am. Catch a taxi to the shrines to save time, and stay there until lunch time. Then catch the bus up to the lakes, waterfalls, etc. I guess you can head home around 5 or 6pm.

4. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

Sandy (or anyone else who may have had experience),
    Is there a Takkyubin outlet at Kansai International? I've already contacted Yamato Transport and they replied they had no idea about outlet in Rinku Town. We would like to ditch our ski gear as soon as we arrive.

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

PMG, There are both baggage storage and delivery services at Kansai International. I have used the delivery service there. Can't remember exactly where but they are not hard to find. Try a google of Kansai airport. That should have a map and show these. Oh and remember to get the address of the hotel you are sending to in Japanese to make it easier for them.

6. Heinz

7. adminvb

adminvb First Runs

Thanks Heinz.

8. Heinz

Just noticed something odd. Was just checking my train schedules and fares again on Hyperdia, now that I could actually enter February dates. When I checked the fare Ueno - Yamagata back in October it was Y11,370, when I checked now it was Y10,490. ie. Y880 cheaper!

Not that it makes any real difference as I was getting a 4 day flexi pass anyway, which still works out nearly Y2000 cheaper overall.

9. Sandy

That sometime happens. depending on the time of day, or which Shinkansen it is.

10. Heinz

In this case it was for the same times, same train (Shinkansen Tsubasa). Only difference was Feb date.

11. Sandy

You may have looked it up for a peak time on an earlier date.

12. Heinz

That's possible I guess. I think it was around October when I first checked so I just chucked in a December date (that's as far as it would let you go).

13. Penel

Penel First Runs

Another train query - I am considering getting a 7 day JP pass for travel that will look something like Hakuba-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo. I think it works out about Y2000 cheaper to buy individual tickets, but figure it would be worth getting the pass for flexibility to do day trips and convenience - is all this correct?
    Can the JR Pass be used on Tokyo subways?
    Also, is it worth stopping at Matsumoto on the way to Kyoto?
    Thanks!

14. Heinz

You can't use the JR pass on the Tokyo subways, but there are plenty of JR lines to get you around Tokyo which you can use. I think Sandy said somewhere that a daily Tokyo JR ticket was Y740? You can of course also use it for day trips to Kamakura or Nikko for example.

15. Sandy

Yes, the JR 7-day Rail Pass cheaper, & adds flexibility. Get one for sure. (only available outside of Japan)

Definitely stop at Matsumoto to see the castle there. It is one of only 12 of the remaining original castles (there were once around 400!!!). It is the best example of a flatland castle left in Japan(as opposed to a hill top castle). It is also one of the 4 "Nataional Treasure" castles, the others being Himeji, Hikone & Inuyama. If you have more than 4-5 days around Kyoto & Osaka, catch a morning Shinkansen to Himeji Castle. It is the best one in Japan.

You cannot use the JR pass on Tokyo subway, but a day pass to cover all the subways is 1000 yen. You may not need a subway pass, however, if you use JR in Tokyo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, by the way!!!! [​IMG]

#115 Sandy, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Let_it_snow

Let_it_snow First Runs

You can use the website below to calculate the sum of the individual trips and compare

http://www.hyperdia.com

You are right about the flexibility, you will not have to queue for any tickets (unless you want to reserve shinkansen seats).

Not all the subway / train lines in Tokyo will accept the JR pass as they are owned by different companies.

The Yamanote line ("loop line") and the Chuo Line are two examples of JR lines which have stations close to (maybe nearly all) the touristy spots anyway.

Therefore it is a good idea to check where you will stay to determine if you are close to these two.

Where are you planning to stay in Tokyo?

I loved the castle in Matsumoto (below) - 1/2 day should be enough unless you want to take it really slow and spend the whole day

[​IMG]

#116 Let_it_snow, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  17. Penel

Penel First Runs

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated. This forum is great [​IMG]

Looks like a stop at Matsumoto is on the cards.

Let_it_snow, not sure where we're staying in Tokyo yet...that's the next bit of research I need to do (along with Kyoto and Osaka accommodation). Recommendations?!

#117 Penel, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  18. K@os

K@os A Local

Can the 7 day pass be used on any 7 days within a month? Do you actually have to purchase it outside of Japan, or is showing your Passport with the visitor stamp enough as with the 4 day flexi?

I am considering the 4 day flexi pass, which allows you to use trains on any 4 days within a month

Penel - there's a thread on accomodation in Tokyo. I am staying at one of the Sakura hotels in Tokyo as it is cheap (18000Yen for 4 person family room) and clean.

19. Sandy

The 7 day JR Pass is 7 consecutive days, and you have to buy it outside of Japan.

#119 Sandy, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013