Transit through ACT

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Anyone been down through ACT from north? I have read the ACT health site which says you can transit through but is there road blocks? If so are they busy?

Cheers

Reactions: Wal42

Balsta

One of Us
Sep 11, 2012
As far as I’ve seen there is only a road block on the Federal highway. I went passed it about an hour ago heading north and the line was probably made up of around 50-75 cars, backed up maybe 300-500 meters.

I traveled in on the Barton Hwy this morning (my normal commute, which I do a number of times a week at the moment) I haven’t seen a road block yet on the Barton.

Reactions: bullet

Wal42

Hard Yards
Apr 19, 2020
Anyone been down through ACT from north? I have read the ACT health site which says you can transit through but is there road blocks? If so are they busy?

Cheers
We drove from Sydney to Jindabyne a few days ago and had to plan it out. Not easy to plan as google maps didn’t have all the road blocks and the ACT Covid site hadn’t been updated yet.

Basically we took the road to Bungendore after Lake George, then from Bungendore to Queanbeyan then the road to Royalla. Some of those roads veered slightly into ACT territory temporarily but no road blocks.

That added maybe 20 minutes to the trip, but no big deal and actually was good to see some different scenery.

Red Bill

Early Days
Sep 30, 2020
Meadowbank / Jindabyne

Cheers
We traveled down before Christmas and there was a sign on the Federal Highway before the M23 Majura Parkway turnoff saying 'checkpoint ahead'. We turned off there following the M23 and didn't encounter any checkpoint. I hear the police are putting in random checkpoints on other roads into ACT so we will probably travel back via Queanbeyan to avoid any possible delays.

Reactions: bullet

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
We traveled down before Christmas and there was a sign on the Federal Highway before the M23 Majura Parkway turnoff saying 'checkpoint ahead'. We turned off there following the M23 and didn't encounter any checkpoint. I hear the police are putting in random checkpoints on other roads into ACT so we will probably travel back via Queanbeyan to avoid any possible delays.
Further to this a couple of weeks back I did see a random police checkpoint in Majura Park pulling over NSW plated cars for a chat. Anyone with ACT plates was waved through. I expect that pattern to continue for any future restrictions.
May be safest for this season if you all transit via NSW and leave the Monaro free for ACT residents. Pointing this out purely for your own benefit and with no ulterior motive regarding the bottleneck at the roundabout at Johnson Drive.

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Further to this a couple of weeks back I did see a random police checkpoint in Majura Park pulling over NSW plated cars for a chat. Anyone with ACT plates was waved through. I expect that pattern to continue for any future restrictions.
May be safest for this season if you all transit via NSW and leave the Monaro free for ACT residents. Pointing this out purely for your own benefit and with no ulterior motive regarding the bottleneck at the roundabout at Johnson Drive.
Drove through the ACT on Monday. Was very quiet.
Zero police anywhere.
Also zero signs re Covid restrictions. As there are virtually no restrictions between NSW and the ACT now. Thankfully.
Was a bit silly that there ever were.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Personally I'm happy they at least went through the motions as the number of people who live and work in the ACT who are exempt from quarantine makes thing dicey enough. A mate of mine came back from Queensland after having transited through Brisbane and had to quarantine at home for a few days (before they were all released). It was at least a little reassuring that the territory government (and residents) are making an effort to ensure we don't become the northern beaches of Sydney.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Thats a failure at so many levels.
Imagine a true ‘deep clean’ of parliament- who would be left!

Problem is.... if we cut the crap and lose the Katters, Joyces, Hansons, Kelly’s, Christensens, of this world we’d have to bring back more reality TV to compensate...

James Ashby, Peter Slipper and Craig Thomson where are you in our hour of need?

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Drove through the ACT on Monday. Was very quiet.
Zero police anywhere.
Also zero signs re Covid restrictions. As there are virtually no restrictions between NSW and the ACT now. Thankfully.
Signs only changed in last day or two. Previuosly they talked about if been in Covid hotspots need to quarantine.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
You can legally drive through the ACT without stopping if you're travelling from an ACT-government declared hotspot.

You can check the government website for precisely what they mean about "without stopping". Pretty sure you're fine to pull-over in an isolated spot to take a break if you need to get out and stretch you legs to get over fatigue, remember safety comes first and I can personally attest to how much a 4 or 5 minute stop helps if you're getting fatigued.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass