Transport options ex Kelowna to Red, Whitewater, and Kootenay

janus

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Howdy folks, a couple of ski buddies and I are doing our bucket list trip in March. Heli skiing, with 5-6 days warm up at resorts beforehand. Wanted to ask for the group's collective wisdom on transportation options. We arrive in Kelowna and have booked 6 nights at a hostel at Red Mountain.
If the snow is on we'll just ski red for the entire time first, however if it's blue skies we'd like to try and see a couple of other resorts - Whitewater looks reasonably accessible from Red, Fernie and big White are probably a bit too far.

It looks like renting a car will be the easiest option - although that will probably increase our costs over alternative options like bus. the heliskiing's pretty expensive so we're trying to keep the rest of the costs down as much as we can.

If we only need to get from Kelowna --> Rossland --> Kootenay, are there inexpensive bus service' that we can use, or can you rent a car in Kelowna and drop it off in Kootenay?

Appreciate comments from anyone who's done similar.

Cheers :)

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Which heli op

Fernie is way out
Big White is a shuttle from Kelowna
Rossland is a shuttle from Kelowna but a hire car may be cheaper. I hired one way Nelson to Rossland/Trail one time, small local operator. (practicar)
Whitewater is just out of Nelson which is on the way to Kaslo
If the helicopter op is Stellar then Rossland/Trail to Kaslo is a 2hr car drive.

For three of you a car out of Kelowna might be the best option. Then you can Red with a Whitewater visit.

Have fun awesome part of the world.

Reactions: Summit and janus
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Where do you have to get yourself to for the heli trip? That's probably the deciding factor on this.

If it was my first time in the Kootenays I'd be wanting to see as much as possible, and a day or two at Whitewater should be on the list. If you get a dump of fresh snow, the ski experience there is at the top of what resort skiing can offer.

Three persons sharing cost on a car is pretty good, whereas all three of you pay full fare on any bus or air options, plus of course the convenience factor goes way up. Western Canada really is still car-centric, public transit options are really only viable in the large cities.

janus

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
We're heliskiing with CMH Kootenay.
yep the car looks like the option, we've reserved one with nothing to pay up front - CAD903 for 13 days, ¬aud$250 is is cheaper than we'll get bus'. The CMH website says transfers are $150 each way.
Definitely keen to check out Whitewater if the snow's on, though there's a lot to be said for just skiing Red the whole time if that's the case, learn the mountain so we can enjoy the runs more.
Started training the day after paying the deposit, my fitness is along way from optimal. Lots of cardio and core work to start, then will get into a bit more leg strength work. Don't want to peak to early! I've got a virtual bike trainer at home, so will start hitting that at night after the kids are in bed.
The video's of CMH Kootenay are great, steep bowls, pillows, gladed trees. Fingers crossed the snow's on, or it's stayed cold since the last dump... bucket list baby!

janus

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Dawooduck, i joined 6 months before you, you have a couple more posts than me though ;) what every happened to Grant, ski beaver, and who was that bloke from the shire used to cause a ruckus (?)- wild west of ski.com.au.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Nakusp. Not exactly an easy place to get to these days, no Greyhound anymore. You'll be almost in Nelson by the time you hit the turn off to Nakusp anyway. A night or two exploring Nelson and its dining/music/cultural scene is well worth it.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
What I was going to say ... Rossland to Nakusp flows very close to Whitewater.

It's a nice drive along the river/lake nothing too sketchy if you are familiar with tarmac and snow.

The scenic drive from Nelson up 31/31A via Kaslo is absolutely stunning but longer and snowier. Huge views across Kootenay Lake to The Purcells. You get that "tiny person" feeling up that way as the peaks push for the stars.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Dawooduck, i joined 6 months before you, you have a couple more posts than me though ;) what every happened to Grant, ski beaver, and who was that bloke from the shire used to cause a ruckus (?)- wild west of ski.com.au.

Oh my decades ago ....

I guess they all just faded away or changed their names.

Many words typed since those days

Reactions: janus

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
Nice hot spring not far out of Nakusp if I recall correctly.
Nukusp is also not far from Revelstoke if you wanted to work that into your plans.
Sounds like you will be short of days not options.

Reactions: janus and dawooduck

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
What I was going to say ... Rossland to Nakusp flows very close to Whitewater.

It's a nice drive along the river/lake nothing too sketchy if you are familiar with tarmac and snow.

The scenic drive from Nelson up 31/31A via Kaslo is absolutely stunning but longer and snowier. Huge views across Kootenay Lake to The Purcells. You get that "tiny person" feeling up that way as the peaks push for the stars.
Did that drive in late April, absolutely gorgeous day. Continued on north from Kaslo for even more Kootenay Lake/glacier view goodness and home the long way through Trout Lake and Nakusp.

Reactions: dawooduck
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

janus

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Thanks everyone. We have booked a car. Arriving 3rd March, departing 15th. Heli for 5 days at the end of the trip. Will arrive Kelowna and drive straight to Red, then we can have a day trip here or there depending on weather (if it's puking i doubt we'll use the car until we need to drive to Nakusp, just ski Red every day). Otherwise we've got reasonably priced accommodation at Red, so we can go for an overnighter somewhere if we wish. Will keep in mind Nelson for the cultural side of things.
Any other ski areas we should try with easy proximity to Rosslands?

In other news have started a mild training plan to get me to peak fitness in March. Starting off with light/moderate cardio and lots of core work. Will dial up the cardio in the next few weeks and start doing lunges etc, then once i'm feeling stronger i'll get a balance ball and do some balance lunges and a bit more twisting strengthening work with the medicine ball etc. Lots of stretching too. Good motivation to get my fat ass in shape! :)

Reactions: Crystal
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using