1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Transport Options

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Riaino, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Riaino

Riaino First Runs

Hi Folks. I contacted McGregors Buslines today using the number on the Ski Ben Lomond website and they said basically that they run buses to BL on weekends if they get interest. However I'm only in Tassie for 3 days and on Saturday have to be in Devonport, but I'm keen to get a day on BL if I can.

Are there any other transport options available from Launceston for weekdays, specifically this Thursday or Friday? I could probably get dropped off part way, if that would make a difference.

2. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Hey mate I think McDermotts might go up there also but not entirely sure. There is usually a bus leaving in the morning from Launceston Sport & Surf. I would contact them about it.

3. Riaino

Riaino First Runs

McGregors! I'm a tool.

It was McDermotts I spoke to this morning, they said they go up on weekends if they get the numbers.

4. BenLomondBezzer

BenLomondBezzer Hard Yards

Yep that's it pretty much... You might be able to hire a car?

5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

"McDermotts" about as useful as a politician on the Ben

6. CaptainPowder

CaptainPowder Hard Yards

surely someone can give a lift up?

7. BoarderBandit

BoarderBandit First Runs

weather and conditions permitting, ill be heading up thursday for the afternoon session, leaving town around 11:00-11:30... welcome to a lift if you want one.

8. Riaino

Riaino First Runs

I might take you up on that BB, thanks for the offer. I really want to avoid a day trip to a Victorian ski resort, the huge effort sucks some of the fun out of it.

9. daveski4ever

daveski4ever Hard Yards

Word of advice guys, don't rely on hiring a vehicle to take to Ben or Mt Field. Been there and tried that. None of the major car companies here in Aus allow skiers/boarders to take vehicles, even 4WDs above the snowline.

I know it is absurd as in NZ this is not an issue, even for the major car rental people but here, nah not allowed. If you do and anything happens to the vehicle you will be on your own cost wise.

10. Riaino

Riaino First Runs

Back from Tassie and despites BoarderBandit's best efforts to get me up to BL the wind defeated him both Thursday and Friday, keeping the lifts from operating. Thanks for the offer BB, it's a shame it didn't come together, especially as I could see BL from where I was staying.

I did go to Mt Wellington and touched the snow and did get on a chairlift in Launceston, but 2 out of 3 isn't enough, you really need to swish downhill to complete the trifecta. Oh well, looks like a trek to a Vic resort.