1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Transport to Buller - Bus? Hire car?

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by nezumi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I have secured cheap accommodation ($500 for 4 ppl, 3 nights) and cheap lift tix ($270 for 4 days) at Buller at the end of August. The next step in this equation is getting onto the hill.

Unless I manage to buy a car, roof racks and chains within the next 3 months, I will be looking to either go up by bus, or possibly hire a car for the trip (?)

In line with the cheapskate nature of the trip, I will be bringing everything I need in a 46 litre backpack and hoping I can blag my way on the village/day trip shuttle rather than needing oversnow (is this viable?). The cheapest/best bus option I have found thus far is the "extragreen" bus, which is around $130 return.

If I was to hire a car (either through a regular hire company, or through something like car-next-door), is it at all possible to find a car with a resort entry pass on it already? I've never heard of this (overtly), but surely someone must offer it?

2. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

Are you just getting yourself up, or the other three in your party also?

Coach probably your easiest/best bet. Finding a rental car with a season parking permit sounds total fantasy to me.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You won’t get on the free bus with such a large bag, they won’t allow anything larger than a day pack.

There’s a V Line bus from southern cross stn which changes in Mansfield and drop you off in the Village. Worth a look.

Chaeron and mx_boarder like this.
  4. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

At this stage there's two of us confirmed, with two spots open. If I'm lucky I will be able to convince a friend who goes to Buller regularly to join us at an even further reduced rate in return for supplying transport, but that's a big maybe.

This is the backpack in question. I won't have it anywhere near bursting, but I do need to do a test pack with everything I plan on taking.

[​IMG]

If push comes to shove, we will consolidate luggage into a single combined bag and have one person use the oversnow, while the rest of us go via the village shuttle.

When I looked at the info about this, it was showing as both more expensive and, importantly, significantly slower than the more direct bus options.

Ideally if going by bus, I'd want to be on one of the ones going up first thing in the morning and coming back later in the afternoon. Since it's only 4 days, I want to make the most of it if we happen to get good weather on the first or last day.

5. wolly

wolly One of Us

V line. Ski Express.

6. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Unfortunately this service doesn't arrive at Mansfield until 11:50AM, So I assume that the connecting service arrives in Buller after 1pm. While this could work if I was going up for a week and had a pass that allows me to ski the afternoon for free, that's not the case for me, hence looking to arrive as early as possible, and leave late in the afternoon.

7. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Go up the day before and stay the night in Mansfield? Yes additional expense but you get the complete day to ski as part of your 4 day ticket

nezumi likes this.
  8. wolly

wolly One of Us

Try also North East Buslines

nezumi likes this.
  9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The only risk there is the potential need for additional negotiation with the wife (and the toddler). LOL

10. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You might have a long walk if not wanting to use the oversnow.

I’d just hire a car. Or beg/borrow from family/mates. For only 4 days you don’t want to stuff around with the inflexibility of the buses.

11. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Given the username, I feel obliged to follow this recommendation.

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

not sure if many (any?) hire cares are allowed into alpine resorts. worth checking before you rely on that option

13. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'm reasonably certain that Europcar have a specific snow travel option. I know Hertz offer an additional cost option for travel above the snowline. Regardless, if it came down to that I would be looking to borrow a car from friends or family I suspect. It depends on how I go getting another two attendees, as this will dictate the transport method.

14. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve used Avis and Hertz for rentals for various skiing holidays. Yes you will need to pay extra to go above the snow line.
    Not all rental companies provide this option, so you need to check. Also, to avoid the rental company rip off insurance that they try to get you to take, travel insurance will cover rental cars at a much lower rate

nezumi likes this.
  15. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Hypothetically, if someone were to book a bus day trip and then just... not join them for the return journey (possibly notifying the operator of the bus as they arrive?), are there any potential repurcussions for this?

Totally asking for a friend who has see return day trip packages priced less than one way journeys...