Travel bag for Europe

sperks

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2004
melbourne Australia
Have planned a trip to combine revisiting London then to go and ski in Italy In February
Not planning on taking skis but will take ski. Boots helmet and ski gear ideas on what type of bag ? The burton double wheelie looks like what I might need but at $ 300 is it worth the money? Looks like ski gear could remain seperate
Trying to think travel light and ease of moving from place to place
Any suggestions please

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Have a look in the shop here. Tons of products and choices.
Wouldnt have thought you need a 'Burton Double Wheelie' if not taking skis.
Good luck

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
How many times are you moving around in Europe ? and how will you be travelling within Europe.
We done a 5 week trip around Europe in April using the trains and travelled very light with a medium sized suitcase,I just took my thermals,socks,googles,gloves and beannie then hired everything else,We only spent 4 days in Engelberg(SWITZ) and I found the quality of the hire clothing very good,if we were staying there any longer I probably would have taken my own Boots, jacket and pants.It was a last minute decision as they were having a great season and did not want carry all my gear through Europe,I prefer suitcases than bags when travelling o/s as they can be more secure and lockable,although when I was younger the backpack ruled.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

conradskis

One of Us
Aug 26, 2002
I usually take a backpack as my main bag, and a small wheelie bag as hand luggage.

A bag that just fits the hand luggage requirements can fit two boots in, which reduces the weight in the main bag.

With that combination you always have a hand free, and it's much easier on uneven surfaces, going up stairs etc. Esp if you are going to be doing a bit of walking with your bags.

A lot of streets in Europe have uneven paving, cobbles etc so a big wheelie bag can be a pain.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Backpack. Backpack. Backpack.

Unless you're carting skis/boards, forget bags with wheels in Europe if you are moving around, as you need to bear in mind:

a) Most tube/metro stations do not have lifts/escalators
B) Cobblestone roads and wheels do not mix
C) Grit on roads and small wheels do not mix
4) Wheels and extendable handles add heaps of weight to a bag
5) Wheels and handles get damaged in transit and most bags with these all the sudden become very awkward if they require manual carrying.
6) A backpack means that your hands are free to purchase tix at metros and the like, and hence "that little french kid" won't be able to run off with your bag whilst your distracted at the ticket window (always keep said backpack on back).
7) Ticket barriers and wide suitcases/ski bags do not mix.
8) Much accommodation in Europe does not have lifts, so consider whether or not you are up to carrying your bags up 5 flights of stairs.

Just hire your gear is snow time is not the priority of your trip. Hire gear in Europe is first class. Everytime I've hired, it's been brand new equip that it still wrapped in plastic.

Hiring in Europe is like doing a demo week on the latest equip.

Wheras hiring in Oz is using gear that is at least 10 years old and has never seen the grinding stone...or had a wax job for that matter

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Agree with many of Inciders comments. If you are mixing skiing ansd travelling best to have a couple of bags. One mainly for the ski gear and a backpack for general travel. Whether you take your gear or hire depends on how much you intend to be skiing.

It is good if you can have some sort of base where you can dump your ski gear when you are doing your sightseeing. Normally if you book a hotel before and after travelling somehere they can keep soem of your gear in storage in between. Otherwise having friends or relatives in the vicinity can be handy.

In your case I guess you could fly in and out of London. Find a place there where you can return to and leave your ski gear and travel with just a backpack.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
For anything around 2 weeks or more I'd definately still be taking my own skis.

Risca1961

Hard Yards
Oct 9, 2009
Adelaide
Hi

we travel as a family of 3 with two Burton wheelies- one large that can be zipped into two halves and a medium. Bullet proof - took to Bregenzerwald in Austria last year, Hakuba twice and still as strong as the day we purchased. Id not normally talk up Burton gear but these babies are a great investment.

I also take a 60ltr backpack - Mountain Wilderness, which is equally as tough - if you purchase a pack you can also invest in one of those mesh sacks that wrap around and lock the pack secure, an extra piece of mind albeit it adds a little extra over weight. Ill be taking this on the trip I just booked through Skiers Lodge to La Grave in February - thanks for the useful advice on the earlier posts guys!

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Risca1961 said:
Ill be taking this on the trip I just booked through Skiers Lodge to La Grave in February

I've booked there for Feb 02-09. What week did you book?

Last edited by a moderator:

Risca1961

Hard Yards
Oct 9, 2009
Adelaide
Week 23rd - 2.03. Miss you by two weeks

Thinking, can't be many Adelaidians that make this trip? Planning some slack n back 'refreshers' in Hotham for the rest of the season and much furious mtb riding over summer!.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
No, I'm sure there wouldn't be many heading there. Has been sort of on my list for a while. Will try and report on how I go.

Risca1961

Hard Yards
Oct 9, 2009
Adelaide
Sure thing. Have you worked out how to get to la Grave?

I've just booked an Easyjet return flight from Bristol to Grenoble, seems BA fly only to Lyon. The transfer from Lyon is E700 return!

Looking to book with bens buses to get the shuttle from Grenoble airport to Les Deux Alps and the lodge will pick up from there. More direct and cheaper.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Only checked that there was a regular bus service from Grenoble - twice a day. I'll probably be somewhere in Austria for the couple of weeks prior and will most likely make my way to Grenoble by train.

Bens bus is good.

Other options:

Lyon- Grenoble train or airport bus - easy

Grenoble Airport:

You need to bus to city centre bus depot and then change buses. You may need to change again at Berg d'Oisans(??sp) Buy the ticket the whole way through at the airport bus though.(Cheaper)

Now the tricky part: in some non- school time slots there may not be a connecting bus up the hill. It may depart just before the airport bus arrives. If it looks like this will happen then RING THE BUS DEPOT - they have said they can and will hold bus but need to know there are plane people coming to the bus. (usually a few people get stranded at once when this happens). I cannot remember if this is related to a late flight due to delay. (It may be that the airport bus knows of the late flight and waits but the other bus does not. Anyway - worth a try if it looks to not work). I think this happens more in summer as less ski traffic goes uphill then.

You can hitch from roundabout to La Grave(I've done it with a friend). Or the lodge may collect you as Risca is doing, Also some locals will do the ride(I've had a nice old gent that owns the lifts at La Grave take us home to Deux Alpes)

Risca - La Grave turn off is a little down the hill from Les Deux Alpes so you want to get off as close to there as possible usually so that you can get to La Grave more easily. If you want more help just ask - my friend lives there and can give advice.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Risca1961

Hard Yards
Oct 9, 2009
Adelaide
Thanks LT. Yeh the bens bus set up seems well organised. The rendezvous point seems to be at the dam?

Question, what's the availability of spare parts for snowboard like in La Grave. I'll be taking my splitty, do I need to carry two of everything as I did in Gulmarg or is the local ski scene a little more developed ?

Oh , and another, cash or is card widely accepted ?

You need the right card - but card OK... cash can be handy also though

Not huge at La Grave but L2A is pretty well equipped if you needed stuff not at La Grave

Not a boarder so not sure about board parts... but I'd say better than Gulmarg at a guess... that La Grave rd heads to Italy so bit of traffic goes through...

Nice cake shops, friendly pub - make sure to tell them not a ros bif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass