Travel Insurance at Home?

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Hi all,

An apology if this has been brought up before. I searched but could not find anything specific to purchasing travel insurance for holidays at home.

So yeah – whenever I travel overseas, regardless of snow being involved or not, I obviously take out travel insurance. However, the thought never crossed my mind for travel around Australia, even when snowboarding. A few friends and I went riding at Hotham last year and the thought of insurance never crossed my mind.

I have private health cover and all my gear is covered by my home and contents insurance (away from home etc) so all I’d cover would be lost riding days because of injury or poor weather. But even then the excess means it’s only worth it if I miss 3 or 4 days – I’m only riding for 5. We are taking our own car and have motor insurance and road side emergency care so rental stuff and delayed travel is not a major issue either as we’re not reliant on third parties.

The only thing I’m remotely concerned about is expensive emergency travel that can happen on the slopes. We do like to explore and go off-piste, so if something happens and we need an air lift…

There are 3 of us going this year (to perisher) and my friend has flat out said he’s not going to bother, while my brother is undecided. I’m fence sitting. It’s only $50 but if its $50 truly wasted then I’d rather put that towards a carton of stiff drinks for the cold nights at the camp ground!

Love to hear people’s opinions on this, especially if I’m forgetting about something important.

Thanks,

Matt

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
I'd only bother if you're worried about losing money on an accommodation booking or on lift passes if you don't end up travelling.

If you're camping and willing to take a hit on the tickets then I wouldn't worry. So long as you have ambulance cover etc of course

Slim

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
If you do a fair bit of travel then you could look at an annual cover.

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
We only use it when using hire cars to cover the costs involved if the vehicle is damaged,as it is cheaper than there own cover.If you don't have private health cover probably would be a good idea as well,never really thought about unused lift tickets etc,but at $500 for a weeks pass and if you injured yourself on the first few days it would easily pay for itself.I have not seen that many airlifts in Oz off the mountain,compared to somewhere like France where they use them even for broken bones and there constantly going up and down the mountain.

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

None of us are renting anything and we all have private health insurance. We're also camping at Long Island campground which means the accommodation is free (if you don't count National Park Passes for the car).

I might give it a miss. Famous last words? Man I hope not!

Mizu_Kuma

First Runs
Jul 10, 2012
Hey Mattaus,

Last season I dislocated my shoulder at Thredbo!!!!!

They pro rata refunded my lift ticket usin the medical cert that the doc gave me, by way of a voucher (12 mnth validity), that could be used for lift tickets or goods in their stores!!!!!

Can't say for sure, but ya would think that the other resorts would follow suit?????

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
It had never occurred to me until last year to take out travel insurance locally but the high cost of snow accomodation made me look into it. I've got a week at Falls booked and the insurance thru RACV online was about $50, worth it if you get sick and can't make it or break a leg while you are up there!

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
definitely worth taking out domestic travel insurance if you pre-pay anything like accommodation, lift tickets, gear hire

if someone gets sick and you can't go at all or if the holiday is cut short due to illness or injury, then insurance can help

also as mentioned, if you hire a car you can actually save on the rental cost as you can use the travel insurance as coverage instead of paying an arm and a leg to the rental companies

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We have an annual policy that covers us in most parts of the world. When we hit the 'dodgy' countries we just add on a segment for that period of time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Hmmm, lots of food for thought. I'm still not convinced it'll be worth it for my particular scenario. Rememeber:

- No paid accommodation
- Platinum RACQ membership
- No hired gear
- Everything is covered by existing insurance
- Private health cover
- Only pre-paid item was the 5 day lift pass.

I'll give it a miss I think. That been said if anything in the above list does apply to people then I'd say domestic travel insurance is a must. The only reason it won't apply to us is because we're being such tight a*ses there's nothing to cover!

I'll just have to swallow the $425 pill (lift ticket) if I hurt myself on day one. The way I see it is the insurance is $50 and the excess is $100. If for whatever reason I can't ride ANY days, the insurance will only save me a maximum of $275.

I waste more than that on random cr*p every month. Just ask the girlfriend
laugh.gif

P.S. This is assuming I never need a chopper ride somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

wangster

A Local
Oct 24, 2008
If you hurt yourself go get a medical certificate saying you can't ride and you'll get a credit for the unused portion on your ticket. Like Mizu said

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Yes sorry I did read your post Mizu - my reply was just worst case (no refund) because you were talking about Thredbo and not Perisher in particular.

If the same deal applies (as wangster implies) then there is even less of a reason for me to take out travel insurance for my specific set of circumstances.

So it's still all good!

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Yes sorry I did read your post Mizu - my reply was just worst case (no refund) because you were talking about Thredbo and not Perisher in particular.

If the same deal applies (as wangster implies) then there is even less of a reason for me to take out travel insurance for my specific set of circumstances.

So it's still all good!

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Just upped my away from home insurance to $3000 (so that will cover my riding gear and camping set up) so that is definitely not an issue anymore.

BobGnarly said:
Use the money for wild turkey!

Bundy Rum for this bum.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
BobGnarly said:
Use the money for wild turkey!

I just bought a bottle of that last weekend, bloody strong stuff at 43ABV. I'll decant some into a PET bottle to take up the snow. Nothing like a cuppla shots after a day on the piste or off the piste for that matter.

SnowTragic

Hard Yards
Feb 1, 2009
Sydney
Mattaus said:
P.S. This is assuming I never need a chopper ride somewhere.

Most private health cover includes ambulance cover and if that ambulance is a chopper so be it...

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Hmmmm....I live in Queensland where we pay for an "ambulance cover levy" as part of our electricity bills. I checked my private health fund cover and ambulance cover is listed as "NA - Covered by State Government".

So what if I'm not in said state at time of ambulance ride? Might have to call Medibank and ask.

Joy.

Mattaus

First Runs
Feb 24, 2011
Yes, well I need to double check but it would make sense to me. But how often do politics and sense come up in the same sentence?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Mattaus said:
Yes, well I need to double check but it would make sense to me. But how often do politics and sense come up in the same sentence?

wrong Mattaus and crystal.

"politics makes little sense"

there ya go!!
laugh.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass