Travel Insurance for Japan backcountry?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
HI All.

Since this thread comes up as a top response in Google, I thought I would sign up and update this thread for the benefit of others.
Myself and a mate were looking at insurance for heading over to Japan next week, And we have gone back and forth with AAMI 3 times.
To Make this a short and concise post, looks like they have revised there stance to exclude this. Although the PDS does not appear to be updated to exclude it. I would be cautious about trying to use the PDS justification based on my second contact.

First contact that was by email specifically asking if a policy would cover off piste activities, The reply said that anything other than competitive sports would be covered.
On the second contact we made to AAMI by phone, they said they would deem 'off-piste' as undue care, that would make any claim invalid.
For the final time around, My mate signed up for a policy and asked a bunch of very specific questions.

In response to this, we got an excellent reply from AAMI.

Hope it helps !
Now I’m sure there are AAMI trolls. How many first time posters are going to quote the same email?

MrScorpio

Hard Yards
Dec 2, 2017
Now I’m sure there are AAMI trolls. How many first time posters are going to quote the same email?
You're probably right but a lot of call centres who take queries like this do use standard templates for emailing replies to customers... Saves time on building custom replies, and leaving out important ( especially legal ) aspects...

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
You're probably right but a lot of call centres who take queries like this do use standard templates for emailing replies to customers... Saves time on building custom replies, and leaving out important ( especially legal ) aspects...
There have been 2 identical posts from 2 different first time posters in 2 different threads today. I call trolls.

Reactions: Pez, Ozgirl and LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I love the way the mere act of “off piste” would be considered undue care....

I mean, FFS, if you’ve got the skills, assessed the conditions - weather and snowpack, have gear, experience and formal skills training, and someone hits you in the BC and breaks your leg you’re not covered? Yet if you are a beginner skier on a crowded icy green run and you get hit and break your leg you’re covered no questions asked?

I’d venture you’re more likely to get hit doing the later than the former. I make informed choices to stay the hell off a beginner run, that’s taking due care.

:rolleyes: Can’t wait until ski insurance and informed logic cross paths.

Reactions: Born2ski and Ozgirl

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016
So who are people using now? No fastcover, no AAMI and I just read the Bupa pds which states off piste with a guide only.... who are people using right now? Need to book for next week

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016
Good review of various policies here - insure4less seems to have the best cover for back country but does come at a price ($330 pp for a week in Japan)
For 2 people from jan 22 to feb 6 it was $1300....... not paying that. Surely there’s other options. Why don’t the insurance reward AST trained people and people trying to do the right thing. So frustrating

Reactions: LMB

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I had a thought earlier today.

Isn't the Bell ringing run in a 'gated' area? @LMB @Andy ?

normally would think a ski resort would not take kids into 'back county'. But since Japan resorts don't have their own ski school's I'm not sure it's even considered...

But then is the instructor considered a guide?

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

normally would think a ski resort would not take kids into 'back county'. But since Japan resorts don't have their own ski school's I'm not sure it's even considered...

Not sure which run you mean?
There’s a bell at 1000m hut - it’s on a groomer. And another at Hanazono outside the restaurant. Not sure I know of others.. maybe I’ve just missed it.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

strawberry bells is in strawberry fields yes,
i had wondered that myself.

you do sign a disclaimer when you signup for ski school, i guess it has enough to cover their ass for off piste too.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
strawberry bells is in strawberry fields yes,
i had wondered that myself.

you do sign a disclaimer when you signup for ski school, i guess it has enough to cover their ass for off piste too.
Ha! Never noticed the bells....
Now I’m keen to get back in there and search for them!

The risk in Strawberries is greatly reduced by virtue of ski patrol closure when hazards are there, and compaction from every man (maybe not his dog) in town riding there. I’d expect when the gate is open you’d struggle to prove undue care was taken

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Overthinking much.

More ski caressing needed in lieu.

Fonty

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 30, 2011
Perth WA
Just bought 3 weeks of travel insurance with 1Cover. $338 for two people with the Winter Sports Travel add on. That price also included $35 for Medical loading as I have declared a pre existing medical condition. They cover off piste within resort boundaries. No mention of guides. We have used them for the last 10 years, made multiple claims and never had a problem.

Reactions: skifree

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Not sure what that means in a Japanese sense. Here generally you are either inbounds or not in my experience or am I misunderstanding something?
going out the gates is out of the resort area.
skiing off-piste without going out the gates and remaining in the resort area on the map (like the sides of runs, or trees between runs) is in bounds off piste.

its a bit ridiculous that if you take 1cm step off a piste run suddenly you need different/better insurance.

i think most people cover in bounds off piste because ski patrol still patrol those areas and can easily access with mechanized transport. so they'll find your lifeless body by the end of the day and cart it away with a snowmobile.
out of bounds, your lifeless body wont be found until spring by the foxes.

Reactions: Ozgirl and LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass