travel insurance

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
We're doing our first big trip to europe in Sep and were wondering on peoples thoughts on the best form of travel insurance. I suspect that we need to cover:
Stolen/lost goods,
Not being able to make the flight in the first place because one of us breaks their leg skiing the week before,
and health insurance for any nasties we might catch over there.
Is it cheaper to get the cover we need on the web, or through a travel agent, or through american express??? Id really appreciate the thoughts of seasoned travellers.

Richard T

First Runs
May 12, 2004
I'm on a 1cover.com.au for 6 months, comprehensive. The company behind them is Mondial World, so it's not dodgy or anything.

It was around half the price of the packages resold through travel agents.

Richard T

First Runs
May 12, 2004
Purple Monkey Dishwasher said:
I've used 1cover as well, no complaints, cheap as but I didn't need to make a claim which is the real test.
I will for medical expenses. I might set things in train today. It's only 25 Euros so...meh.

I don't know, JD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
John Deere said:
Richard does your policy cover off piste skiing?
Yes, this is the key question that has been asked here many times before, but I don't think I've ever seen a definitive answer. It always seems to be a matter of someones interpretion of the inclusions / exclusions.

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tamworth
My recent trip was insured through my Health insurance. They covered all of the points dmz mentioned. Trouble is, when it comes to a claim, there is a little thing about "pre-existing" and the M-I-L was diagnosed just before we went, passed away while OS. No payout! Bugger!

skibeames

First Runs
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
A warning regarding 1cover, I used them back in January for my trip to Niseko, during the trip i had my ipod stolen value ($700), on returning I put in a claim. The claim was approved, however they depreciated the value of the ipod by 80% which i think is pretty harsh.
I originally purchased the ipod over 12 months ago- however due to problems with it, Apple replaced it so it was pretty much brand new, before it was stolen.
I recieved about $150 back from 1cover

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Smart move to go to Europe in Sept. July and Aug are crazy crowded but Sept is much more sane, and the weather is a bit more mild and still stable. Enjoy!

Some credit card providers offer free travel insurance if you pay with the card. Check that out. Also read the fine print with your own private medical cover, again some do cover you.

Princess Buttercup

First Runs
Jun 5, 2004
Melbourne
www.monicaschipper.com
I used Toursafe when I was in Europe, as it is the policy that my travel agent works with and she was able to discount it for me. Before agreeing to it, I compared it with some others and in terms of what you get and what you pay, it was good.

Check out this link - you type in the details of your trip and it gives you a comparison between numerous policies with different funds. Easier to decide when you can see them next to eachother. Another good site for comparisons is this one Hope that helps
smile.gif

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Thank you Princess. Ill check the site you mentioned and consult my travel agent.

danc72

First Runs
May 10, 2005
Perth
I used Covermore when going to Niseko in 2004. I had my board stolen and when I put in a claim I was told that the limit was $500 per item. So I claimed for my board and bindings, expecting $500(limit) for the board and $300+ for the bindings. This is where things became dodgy. I was quickly told that i could only claim for one total of $500 as the bindings were regarded as an accessory to the board. What a joke. I tried to fight the verdict, saying the bindings and bought seperate from a board and made by a different company, but gave up after 3 months of crap and settled for $500. Luckily my board was only $520 (half price sale) and my bindings were a few seasons old.

So check your policies especially if you have $1500 worth of brand new board and bindings.

cactus jack

First Runs
Apr 7, 2006
Melbourne
me and my girl are going with sta (travel agency) comprehensive cover because we get $15,000 coverage on all our gear. and thats each. the cover is trough QBE so its a reputable company. thats also 12 months cover with snowboarding. u gotta be careful cause some insurance covers skiing but NOT snowboarding so whatch out for that when you check your policies.

snowclaws

First Runs
Mar 4, 2004
Melbourne
as a tip check car hire excess on policies (if you are planning to hire a car). Some pay the excess should you have an accident (was about 900 euro)- others don't, or will only pay the excess if you take the option of additional cover to reduce the excess (which often doubles your daily hire rate)...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass