1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel times to Perisher? Shotgun roadtrip...

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by snow_hope, Jun 25, 2009.

1. snow_hope

snow_hope Hard Yards

Some mates and I have randomly decided after exams finish on friday to do a shotgun roadtrip to PB next Monday-Thursday. One mate works in a pub, and finishes his shift midnight sunday, so we have to travel on Monday morning..

We're thinking of trying to get a pretty much full day of skiing in on the Monday, so (with two other drivers, the beer guy in the back asleep) we're planning on leaving around 3:00am, and sharing the driving to avoid long stops.

What are other people's experience with leaving from Sydney this early? What time do you think we'd get into Jindy or PB if we went straight through? We're seriously considering suiting up in Sydney and just jumping out at PB carpark w/skis on the roofracks. Any suggestions for the trip? Problems people have had or experiences to share?

2. kiphero

kiphero Hard Yards

I've done it a couple of times, I usually leave around 4 and i'm skiing well before 10. Once I had to pick up someone's rentals from Jindy and we were still skiing before 10. Its an easy drive at that hour. It wipes you out for the night you get there though (I'm a nightowl but I'm done by 9 after that trip!) but if you're there for the snow, its easy.

Don't suit up, its not that quick a trip - Should only take you 2 minutes at the other end to put some pants and a jacket on!? Make sure you've filled up the car the night before and fill up again with a quick breakfast in Cooma.

If you're young you should have no problems.

3. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Most people head to and leave the snow on a sunday so on a Monday i imagine you are not going to have lots of traffic to contend with. So no reason to go gunning down there at mac10 if you leave early morning monday. Not sure what part of Sydney your from. But i'm from the southern end and we usually head off on Sunday mornings around 5-6am. With quick breaks at lake george and cooma we usually get into Jindy around 10am. For a sunday we have beaten most of the traffic which makes the drive a lot easier. if you leave at 3am i imagine you will get a full day skiing in, stop at Jindy or not.

4. snow_hope

snow_hope Hard Yards

Sweet thanks for the replies SNJ, kiphero - I am pretty young I guess (23) and used to early morning starts - I often start at 4:30 for rowing training, so a 3am start is only 90min before I'd normally get up. Glad to hear that we could be there by 10! I'm hoping to get a full day of skiing in then.

btw kiphero, welcome to the forums! I'm not a regular poster, but long time lurker - thanks for the info, and thanks for the f1rst post!

5. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Hey mate i've that trip maybe 30 times or so at that hour.
    Mostly on summmer when we were working on our place in Jindy.
    We'd leave the gong at 3.30am every saturday...for 17 weekends in a row.sheesh..that was hectic looking back at it.
    We'd pull into Jindy at 8am every time.

Worse bit is staying awake around Goulburn or so..that was about 5am. When you got to Canberra it was 6am and then I was used to being awake so its no dramas.

I reckon you should at least have your thermals, socks etc on. I have suited up in the NPWS office before. While buying a pass. Nice and warm. No fun to do it in a carpark standing on a towell in a blizzard.

Things to look out for.
    * Fog. It gets super foogy around the southern highlands area at that time of day.
    * wildlife after canberra. The sun is rising and they come out to graze. No cars on the road means no sweepers
    * bad food LOL. Seriously. nothing is open till really Cooma.

I find it easier to drive at that time than after work on a friday..I'm usually rooted by then and have to concentrate.
    At 5am its just you the road, your music and your buddies. No drams.

6. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Donza is on the money with all his comments!

I usually leave around 2 and get to the hill around 7:45 with a few stops for coffee, break etc. I figure leave an hour earlier and I can stop for breaks without feeling like I will be 'late'.

No traffic at that time - makes the drive out a lot easier. Take it easy in the fog and have a co-pilot from Canberra to help watch ahead for wildlife on the side of the road - I turn on the foggies to help with peripheral light to try and spot the buggers....

As Donza said maybe just wear your thermals - why be potentially uncomfortable for 5 hours to save 5 minutes? Stop in Cooma or Jindy and get changed for the rest - you can stop in a Servo under the awning if it's raining (for cover), otherwise any carpark will do.

Note, driving at 2:00am to about 5:00am your body is expecting to be asleep - definitely make sure the driver(s) try to get some sleep before they go - it's boring but try to adjust your schedule so you are active earlier, then you can have dinner a bit earlier and turn out the lights earlier, get to bed earlier and try to get to sleep earlier. Also, you will be rooted by the time you get there if you don't get some sleep beforehand!

7. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

Yep - agree with most of the comments above.
    We generally try to leave Sydney between 2.45 and 3am.

Hardest part of the trip is after the shell station at Sutton Forrest to Queenbyanne Maccas (it seems to take forever). After that it is easy.

Generally on skis by 9 - 9.15am (and thats after catching ski tube and walking to the accommodation). Absolutely stuffed by 8:30pm after a few wines though.

8. Hobber

Hobber A Local

If you're not stuffed by 8:30pm you didn't go hard enough! [​IMG]

#8 Hobber, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  9. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Iron chef at 8.30....3 red wines down.doona and electric blankie is calling.

#9 Donza, Jun 25, 2009
  10. kiphero

kiphero Hard Yards

Yeh i've been a bit of a lurker before with not much to add- plenty of knowledgable people already doing enough!

I don't ski in thermals so yeh I agree with the guys above - just pants and a jacket over my tshirt which takes all of 30 seconds. Pumped!!

11. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

5 hrs driving to perisher car park from centre of sydney. Add whatever you need for breaks. Sounds like you are used to being up at that hour so you should be fine. I never drive at that time because i'm never awake at that time. Done it a couple of times and all but fell asleep at the wheel both times.

12. bywong_yuki

bywong_yuki One of Us

Agreed with Donza regarding wildlife and watch out for skippy on Sutton Road or Majura Road depending on which way you travel around Canberra and if you see one roo there will almost certainly more following

13. rodatthebay

rodatthebay First Runs

My car is still in the smash repairs from a roo, 12am about 40ks out of Cooma, from the weekend before last, so take it easy.

14. Kuragari

Kuragari Hard Yards

Clipped a roo last year as well just after Canberra, it was my first time driving down. [​IMG]

The thing that shits me the most is while I'm trying to take it easy and drive cautiously just slightly under the speed limit since it was fairly foggy. I find that more than half of the drivers are assholes who tailgate you down a single lane road until the takeover lane appears and then take off like a bat out of hell only to be replaced by another one as soon as the takeover lane ends. [​IMG]

#14 Kuragari, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  15. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

That's why it is good to try and leave early morning. You do run the risk of roos but there are far less dikheds on the roads.

16. Snow Blowey

There are plenty of people on the road that think the best place to overtake from is a metre from your bumper. That is why they will only get past you on the overtaking lane. They are clueless.

#16 Snow Blowey, Jun 26, 2009
  17. thatbuttonsendsit

thatbuttonsendsit First Runs

and look out for the light coloured van parked in the short stretch of 80kmh when you turn off the Federal Hwy. It looks like its all 90k, but no.

#17 thatbuttonsendsit, Jun 27, 2009
  18. socold

socold A Local Ski Pass: Gold

One of our group has been baned from driving at that time of night, he managed to get us on the wrong side of the split freeway.

Our drive is leave from above newy about 1am arive in jindy about 7:30, breaky and change in the toilets, up there ready to go about 9-9:30.
    Done 1-3 times a year

#18 socold, Jun 27, 2009
  19. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

At least they are waiting for the overtaking lane and not overtaking on blind corners.

#19 D-eye, Jun 27, 2009
  20. Kuragari

Kuragari Hard Yards

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...

#20 Kuragari, Jun 28, 2009
  21. D-eye

A little bit serious a little bit facetious.
    I would much rather have someone sitting in my boot than have them take me out in a by product of an accident when they overtake on a blind corner.
    There have been many trips to the snow where I have been overtaken or seen cars overtaking in such a manner.

Besides when they are in the boot you can at least tap the brakes just enough to make the lights show so they back off a bit.

22. Snow Blowey

People who tailgate are just plain stupid. Not only do they increase the chance of having a rear end collision that will be thier fault, but they are in a much worse position to overtake than someone who stays 2-3 seconds behind the vehicle in front. The person who hangs back has a better view of the approaching traffic, can pre-empt the overtake, and accelerate into the gap.

Bit like the backline in a league or union match. Pretty hard to get up to full speed if you are standing still in a flat libe when you catch the ball.

D-eye - whilst i do not approve of overtaking on blind corners i disagree that waiting for the overtaking lane is the best solution. Too many slow drivers speed up at the overtake which results in everyone going faster to try and get around. When all the traffic is going 120-130 so close together, with lane changes going on everywhere its a pretty dangerous situation. Much safer to get around the problem on a single lane stretch of the road when the slow numpty isn't expecting it.

23. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Hey what happened to the Driver Reviver on the Monaro highway? Woud it's disappearance have anything to do with the permanant speed camera and they don't want people slowing down or am I just being cynical ...??

24. Donza

Donza Pool Room

[​IMG]
    Classic

#24 Donza, Jul 3, 2009
  25. snow_hope

snow_hope Hard Yards

well we travelled up on Monday of last week, meaning to leave at 3. After packing the car the night before (and realising every hour, on the hour, that I'd forgotten something from 7pm-11pm), my mate stumbled in from his nightshift at the pub at 1am, and crashed on the couch (missing the made up spare bed). The alarm that went off at 2:40am simply wasn't loud enough, and fared quite badly after a quick trip into the wall at high speed. The backup (family members rising early for work) went off at 4:30, and by 5:00 we were away, with a minor pit stop at the mate's place for something he forgot.
    Long and short of it, we got to Jindy at 11:00, and did the ski hire and check in as fast as possible, but still only wound up with the afternoon for skiing.

I have learned a lot for the next trip, and I think I'll be more inclined to travel up the night before and do a fri-sunday trip instead...

26. D-eye

[​IMG] @ the alarm clock.

That's pretty well much why I drive up after work now.

#26 D-eye, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  27. Rastis

Rastis Hard Yards

I'll tell you next week if I like your idea - I have a 21st in Newy this saturday and when I get kicked out of the last pub I deem decent I'm going to walk back to where dad is staying, wake him up then crash in the passenger seat. I should be half sober by the time we get to jindy.

#27 Rastis, Jul 16, 2009
  28. Hobber

Hobber A Local

In Canberra? I thought it was out on Friday / Sunday nights.... hmmm...

Just checked -

#28 Hobber, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  29. neko

neko Hard Yards

Despite what Hobber has quoted above, I havent seen it operate once this season on the Monaro Highway at the Rose Cottage Round-A-Bout (where the speed camera is).

EDIT: Although it is quite possible they are setting it up a bit later than what time I come through there... but I did come through about 10PM a few weeks ago and it wasnt there.

30. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Yeah I just got it from the website...

31. Axe_L_Thief

Axe_L_Thief Hard Yards

#31 Axe_L_Thief, Jul 17, 2009