1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Travel to Lake Crackenback from Melbourne Airport

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Aratrail, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Aratrail

Aratrail First Runs

Hi Guys
    First time poster.

Found this forum whilst researching the 3 night Lake Crackenback mini break we’re doing in last weekend in October.

Forgive us, but we are not skiers.... yet, so just dipping the toe into an altitude stay. There’s myself, wife and 2 young teenage boys.

Planning on driving up in a 2010 Subaru Forester (constant 4wd, standard road tyres) , leaving very early on Friday morning (say 7:30am but is flexible), straight up the Hume as we are living in the NW Melbourne suburbs near the Tullamarine airport.

Stop off along the way for some breakfast probably at Glenrowan or Wangaratta where I might fuel up. If don’t get fuel there, we’ll get it at Corryong where we’ll stop again. That should take us about 5 allowing for the couple of stops , so it should be about 1pm when we’re arriving Corryong.

Onwards, I was hoping to try and squeeze in a visit to the Man from Snowy River museum and also a tour of the Murray 2 Power Station as long as I can organise with the area supervisor.

I’ve read a few other threads here regarding travel times and road conditions, specifically Alpine Way and was hoping for some expert advice relating to period we’ll be there ie last weekend in October.

In particular:
    1. Road conditions / likelihood of snow on Alpine Way between Khancoban and Thredbo.
    2. Would there be any snow visible on the peaks at that time of year
    3. Real world travel time between Khancoban and Thredbo if we didn’t stop off along the way.
    4. Interesting places to stop off along the Alpine Way
    5. Likely daily temperatures in last week of October
    6. Places to see and things to do on the 2 full days were are there (Saturday and Sunday)
    6. Would anyone recommend a return drive or return via Bombala / Cann River, acknowledging this is the longer way home.

I’d prefer to arrive at Lake Crackenback prior to sunset which will be around 7:30pm.

I know my question isn’t snow related but hopefully you guys can help.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

1 Road is sealed, a bit windy and unlikely to have snow (although anything is possible).
    2 There will be snow visible on the peaks. There is a thing called Scammells Lookout on the Alpine Way which will give you great views of the western faces, as will Geehi Flat.
    3 Khancoban to Thredbo is about 1 1/2 hours - maybe a tad longer.
    4 For views, Scammells and Geehi as above. There are permanent mobs of roos on Geehi Flats and Tom Groggin camping area.
    5 Brisk in the evening. Warm during the day. But expect anything - I have experienced snow in January a few times.
    6 Ride the Thedbo chairlift and walk to the ummit (Around 12 km return). Walk to Blue Lake - a proper glacial lake.
    Second 6 It's a pretty part of the world.

3. Legs Akimbo

Also 6 - Yarrangobilly Caves are limestone caves with all the usual, and there is a thermal pool there. Kiandra on the way is an abandoned gold mining town with a few artefacts and buildings left.

Have a look here

4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The Alpine Way is unlikely to cause you any problems at that time of year (but you never know)

anyone know if it possible to pick up snow chains in Khancoban and drop them off in Jindy, if the weather proves to be a bit finicky?

If weather confitions are good, stop in at Thredbo on the way through and there may still be snow on Friday Flat, but if not, then come back another day and catch the Kosci chairlift up tot he top ($25 each) and there will be plenty of snow still around (make sure you dress for it, it will still be very cold on the chairlift)

5. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

In the very, very unlikely event of the weather being that bad just extend the drive along the Hume and come in through Yass, Canberra, Cooma and Jindabyne. It would have to be October storm of the century particularly as you are driving a Subi. Otherwise it sounds like a lovely trip away. The Cann River drive is nice, but longer as you say. I'd see how the tribe is handling the holiday. Sometimes the quickest way home is the best at the end of a trip.

Ozgirl likes this.
  6. gareth_oau

My first trip ever to the snow back in 1994, never having driven on snow, we rented a (VR) Commodore, and drove over the Alpine Way from Thredbo though to Falls Creek, on chains all the way to Khancoban, and I may be wrong but I believe a lot of the road was dirt back then? Was a huge experience back then and help to cement my absolute love for snow.

So I'd suggest, if the weather has done the uunexpected, pack some chains and don't go the cheats' boring way and experience what it is there for

7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

@gareth_oau yes that was a Commodore not a subbie and not late Oct either.

OP please do not stress about chains they will not be needed.

skifree and Bogong like this.
  8. gareth_oau

exactly my point - if it can be done in a 94 commodore, then a subie will be fine.

However, if it does dump (and let's not forget that it did snow on Christmas day only a few years ago!!), then chains can be hired. Yes?

9. Ozgirl

Chains won't be needed.

10. Legs Akimbo

To the OP. gareth_ohau is doing a very good imitation of a headless chook. He can be ignored.

Bogong and chicski like this.
  11. gareth_oau

and Legs Akimbo is being a twat (as usual).

I didnt say chains will be needed.

Of course you never read what is actually typed.

I said chains can be rented in Khancoban if it does choose on that rare occasion to snow - no need to completely change plans and drive via "Adelaide" as suggested:rolleyes:

12. gareth_oau

13. Ozgirl

As a Subaru driver he will not need chains.

14. Ozgirl

15. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I think it’d have to be Armageddon or the fallout of a massive meteorite strike to get enough snow to need chains in late October. Especially in a Subi.

In all the years of ski season driving I havent had to fit chains yet....I’m sure the day will come but it hasn’t yet. And I’ve driven in some decent storms. Granted I could’ve done with fitting them for the 50m or so to leave my accomodation one year, but I just squirrelled it out until we got onto Friday drive which was fine.

16. gareth_oau

and yet whenever I drive up in snowy conditions, its always the 4WDs that or off the road in a gully.

does being a "Subie" driver make you god's gift to braking?

17. Legs Akimbo

You have a person who is a newbie to the mountains
    You invent a possible need for chains
    The possible need for chains is so remote that any rational mind would dismiss it out of hand
    But for reasons embedded in what passes for your mind you decide to raise the possibility.

Who is the twat?

Bogong and chicski like this.
  18. gareth_oau

I've quoted what I said - you are just looking for an internet fight as usual

19. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Shoosh you two please.:)

luvthabumps, currawong and southpaw like this.
  20. Legs Akimbo

No. I am making sure that the OP is not worried needlessly. I don't know what you are doing.

Bogong and Ozgirl like this.
  21. Ozgirl

Ok, here's the thing I was trying to avoid saying.

The possibility of needing chains in late October is so remote that no, the OP will not easily rent a pair.

I didn't want to spell it out because you have now put it in their head that they may need them. And as a newbie they potentially will freak out.

OP you will be fine.

22. Barras

Barras Addicted

Hope this helps

1. Doubt it very much, usually there is only snow on the road for about the last 5 ks from Thredbo during the ski season
    2. Yes, hopefully you might be able to seem some from Scammells lookout but if not once you get past dead horse gap you should be able to see some on the hill
    3. Usually takes me 60 - 70 minutes
    4. Power station, Scammells lookout, Geehi Flats, Pilot Lookout
    5. Around 14 degrees
    6. With the walks there will be snow over most of the higher tracks
    7. I sometimes come back that way, just for the different scenery, but it is only 6 minutes longer for me.