Travelling Crazy Canadian asking 1001 questions about skiing in Australia

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by MadPatSki, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

Hi everyone,

Some might have seem me post on various other skiing forums over the last 15 years or in this forum where I created last August (ski passes deals) when travelling to Australia to ski became another amongst a number of crazy things.

One of the craziest things I've done is starting a monthly ski streak where I need to ski (on snow) at least once a month. The goal was initially to complete one-year, 12-months in a row. Currently the count is up to 154 consecutive months of skiing.

There are no year-round places to ski in Eastern North America and the closer place is a 5-hour plane ride. In other to keep the streak "alive",
    I've travelled to South America 5 times, European Alps twice, New Zealand once and Timberline / Mt. Hood (Oregon) 4 times , the only open ski area most of the year.

The only other places on the planet with outdoor snow skiing ski areas open this time of the year are in Norway, South Africa, Lesotho and Australia.

This year seems to be a great season to explore Australia ski areas.

I've add people on this forum or other ski forums question my sanity for travelling to Australia to ski (I'll do also some sightseeing while I'm here). You can find some of this, question and my motivation on the other thread.
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/ski-deals-ski-industry-or-otherwise-for-lift-tickets.78939/

First, here are the places I'm thinking of skiing - this is not a debate on why, just fyi)

Melbourne
    1 - Buller
    2 - Hotham
    3 - Falls
    4 - Threadbo
    5, 6 and maybe 7 - Perisher (2 days) and maybe Charlotte
    Canberra
    Sydney
    drive back to Melbourne.

Questions:
    1) Ski Deals:
    I already know the answer. The Jucy rental deal: is there a way of going around the two people (When you go to collect your JUCY vehicle from the branch, you need to have a second person with you.). Does that second person need to be on the rental with you?

2) Weather (for planning):
    I know weather is weather, but is skiing 7 ski days in a row an issue. I found out the hard way in Argentina when virtually the whole ski area was closed for a few days. How frequent are rainy or wind hold days? I'm planning to start my skiing by August 26. Do to the nature of lift passes, entrance fees, booking, etc and if I want to ski one whole week, what are the odds that it might suck for some of those days (my motto is that the skiing never suck, but I've had my share of skiing in the pouring rain/freezing rain). I generally prefer to wait and see before committing to skiing that certain day, but this might not be possible on this trip.

3) Entrance fees:
    I'm trying to get my head around this concept. So if you are going skiing, in addition to your $100+ ski pass, you have to forth out an extra $50? So a day-tripper pays $150? Is there a way to avoid the fee? Shuttles, etc? It would seem that all/most Victoria ski areas have Entrance fees. I presume goes fees are only good for one area and cannot combine more than a specific one?

4) Park fees:
    (see #3 - this one is more logical to me). If are skiing in NSW for a few days and stay in Jindabyne, but you pay for the length of your stay?

5) Accommodations (Hostels, AirBnB, Couchsurfing):
    I've seen some place close to some ski areas which didn't seem to expensive or further away. Do any places have a combo lodging/ski pass that could be a good deal?

Places to crash?
    Buller: Buller, Mansfield?
    Hotham: Germantown, Bright?
    Falls: Germantown again? Mt Beauty?
    Thredbo: ? Thredbo??? Jindabyne?
    Perisher/Charlotte: Jindabyne?

6) Driving distances / hazards:
    The longest distance between ski resorts. The longest is between Falls and Threadbo (4 hours - 285km) and someone recommended that I do the drive in the day time, so I presume this would be a day off. From my experience, all distances and time are not too crazy by my standards. Someone mentioned wildlife, in Canada we also have to be aware of wildlife, but wondering is it worst in Australia? I was lucky to survive a collision with a moose in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say, my car was totalled and waited 30-45 minutes in the snow for the next car to come by.

Other important distances: Buller to Hotham.

7) NON-SKIING - Things to see

So I have 16 days. First night in Australia is August 24, last night is September 8.
    Here a rough idea for an itinerary which I posted a few days ago. I might do all of this.

day 0: Melbourne early morning arrival
    day 1: Melbourne - maybe fitting Ocean Drive??? then drive and sleep before Buller?
    day 2: ski Buller -
    drive towards Hotham and find place to sleep along the way
    day 3: ski Hotham -
    drive towards Falls and find place to sleep along the way
    day 4: ski Falls
    sleep somewhere
    day 5: day drive and not ski day and find place close to Thredbo?
    day 6: ski Thredbo then stay in Jindabyne for a few nights for nights 6, 7 & 8?
    day 7-8-9?: ski Perisher/Charlotte
    Night 9 sleep in Canberra
    day 10: Canberra
    day 11-12 Sydney
    day 13-15 Sydney coast drive to Melbourne
    day 16 - leaving back to Canada

8) THINGS:
    Canberra: 1 day? What do I "need" to see?
    Melbourne: What do I "need" to see?
    Sydney: 1 or 2 days? What do I "need" to see?

Above I mentioned waiting to drive the Ocean Drive Road and do the Coastal drive between Sydney and Melbourne. Both are possible. If I need to choose, should I go for the Ocean Drive Road and forget about the NSW/VIC coastal drive?

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations, couch to crash are all welcomed. Yes, I'm Mad.

PS. Someone mentioned something about a TR. I've been mentally challenged in the writing TRs, however I've been pretty consistent in posting on my Ski Mad World Facebook page and on Instagram (madpatski). I have a blog, but I haven't had the courage to write much the last few years (madpatski.wordpress.com), but they are a few cool things in it.

The Plowking likes this.
  2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Check your car rental agreement. Some ban driving above the snowline (defined as quite low), some charge extra and some are cool. You will need to carry chains to get to all(?) resorts in Victoria and if you have a 2WD car in NSW.

3. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

OK, I can give you info about NSW. Yes we have some pretty bad winds here which cause a lot of wind hold for chairlifts. Which is why the T-bar was invented. The only time I've ever seen our resorts completely stop is due to lightning risk. So, no the resort will not close for the days. NSW national park entry is per day and is required if you are driving up to Thredbo or Perisher. It can be avoided for Perisher by catching the skitube which departs outside of the park boundary. Perisher charge an add on price for that. Park entry is $29 per day. If you are in a 2wd vehicle you will need to carry chains, even if not required to fit them. AWD and 4wd it's not required. But be aware that hire vehicles are often not allowed in the alpine areas, and none will be fitted with snow tyres. I can send you some "bring a mate" passes for Perisher if you need. They give you a discounted price on tickets. As an example my son is using one next Thursday, cost $138 including ski tube, $104 without. If you'd like one pm me with your email address.

Charlotte Pass has a few deals, including a groupon one https://www.groupon.com.au/deals/ga-charlotte-pass-snow-resort-3, or 2 buck Tuesday where the second person pays $2, and here's a shopadocket deal too https://www.shopadocket.com.au/coup...ss-for-just-$60-jindabyne-entertainment-other The resort is only accessible by oversnow transport, which leaves from the Perisher skitube terminal. So you can either buy a return skitube ticket or drive and park at perisher for the day. You need to book in advance.

There are some shuttle buses that pickup in and around Jindabyne and do daily trips to both Perisher and Thredbo.

Accomodation will be at a premium, especially the weekends. If you're up for car camping, there are some free spots within the national park.

cin and Jacko4650 like this.
  4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

You've identified the five major resorts that a regular skier would want to visit. I can help with a few of your questions:

Entry fees. In NSW (and Tasmania) all ski resorts are in National Parks. In Victoria all ski resorts are outside parks, each has their own "Resort Management Board". The entry or park fees (more or less) pay for the same things like car parking, road clearing and general amenities around the resort. Except for Thredbo, the lift company has nothing to do with resort administration or ski village amenities.

Ski towns. Jindabyne has good access to both Thredbo and Perisher, it is strongly geared up for the ski industry. Victorian resorts are more dispersed. The only town near Mt Buller is Mansfield, although there are a couple of hamlets closer to the mountain. Mt Beauty is a town at the base of the road to Falls Creek, Harrietville is a small village at the base of the road to Mt Hotham (there is nothing at Germantown). Bright is more distant from both Falls and Hotham, but if you don't mind a long drive, you could get to both Falls and Hotham from there.

On mountain accommodation is often bundled with ski lift passes, but it's less common with off mountain accommodation, but you can usually find deals if you look around.

5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

A full resort closedown in NSW or Vic is rare, but bloody hell we have had a shittonne of winds this year. We will find you an open lift!

If driving from Vic to Thredbo the Alpine Way can get snowed but is cleared, not always all night though. There is little phone service and no fuel after Kancoban - and even then the servo (gas station) is not always open late. Accom can be found in KC. Camping at Tom Groggin (free).

I love the NSW south coast but the coast road doesn’t always allow you a good view. With limited time I’d consider dropping this from the itinerary.

Victorians can fill you in on the practicability of touristing the Great Ocean Road.

For Charlotte Pass there are some cheaper days - check the web (maybe Tuesday’s? Maybe some coupons?).

6. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

As Legs Akimbo has said......check the car hire policy in regards to snow driving.
    Some of the larger hire companies such as Thrifty, Europcar, etc., have a extra insurance charge option to drive above the snow line which is very expensive. ($25-$30 per day on top of the rental cost). And they don't just charge for the days you drive above the snowline, it is added to every day of hire regardless if you drive up or not on certain days . From my knowledge the best value is "Jucy" for hire car snow driving in Australia as they allow above snowline driving in their normal rental agreement prices. Chains are a must and can be hired from Jucy for $40 flat rate for the term of the rental which I would do seeing your going to visit a number of places.

7. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

In Canberra suggest visiting the national cultural institutions such as:

Australian War Memorial
    National museum
    National gallery
    Parliament House.

They are pretty close together and easy parking or you rent a bike for day.

MadPatSki, zac150 and skifree like this.
  8. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us

I have to say, due to the weird private entry fee system, not to mention the extortionate and compulsory in-resort taxis, I now consider the ski resorts in Victoria to be hostile to human life, and especially to day visitors. Skip that whole state I say!

Get a NSW national parks pass, look at your Mountain Collective and Epic Pass options, and ski Thredbo, Perisher and Charlotte Pass.

cornice11 likes this.
  9. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great Ocean Road is far better than the Melb-Syd coastal route, if you like wild rugged coastlines.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  10. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Drive one way from Melbourne to Sydney. After skiing in Victoria and NSW, from Canberra go east to Batemans Bay, visit Pebbly beach kangaroos (unique Australian experiece, great coastline in those parts), continue up the coast to Sydney, spend extra day in Sydney (drive over Sydney harbour bridge, then over the spit bridge and onto Manly, then follow the road past all the northern beaches up to Palm Beach (great drive), drop car at Sydney airport, take domestic flight ($100 or thereabouts with luggage) back to Melbourne.
    Price of the domestic airfare would also most likely be cheaper than the petrol/fuel cost driving back. (depending on type of vehicle).
    Domestic airlines to check pricing:
    https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
    https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/

11. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

One thing to be wary of when driving between these destinations is the amount of wildlife that moves around after dark. Try to transit between destinations during daylight hours. I've seen plenty of kangaroos, wallabies, deer and wombats this season.

12. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Re. driving hazards. Kangaroos and wombats are a hazard. Not sure about wombats, but kangaroos are especially a hazard at dusk and dawn. This year is very dry (NSW is in drought) which brings the roos out onto the roads even more so. Hence, if driving between Cooma and Canberra (I can only speak of this stretch of road) be especially vigilant. A couple of weeks ago my son and I counted 255 instances of (large) roadkill between Jindy and Canberra. Wombats can break axles. I'm sure moose can do some serious damage too. But a wombat gets under the car very easily as you run over it. Hence, broken axles.

13. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

And as a side note.....kangaroos are too stupid for words. It's not like they see car headlights and get out of the way. They seem to be very ambivalent about the whole headlight issue. I smashed into one a couple years back. It hopped into my lane. Saw me coming. Hopped out of the way. Then decided it was better off jumping back into my lane. It wasn't.
    Kangaroos. Are. Stupid.

cin and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  14. Pink

Pink Addicted

You’re in Melbourne 24-25/8 so that would be Richmond v Western Bulldogs at the MCG, 2:10pm 25/8.

Edgecrusher, Chaeron and Bogong like this.
  15. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

in Sydney
    Sydney Opera House
    City Recital Hall
    also any ordinary Sydney harbour ferry trip is better than the offering of a tour operator
    my own preference would be the Mosman Bay trip, but Manly also good

16. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOL .... sure there isn't some cockroaches racing up a wall somewhere that day :p:D #victorians

17. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not many cockroaches in Melbourne. They're mainly in Sydney and north. ;)

18. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

Deer are the same. Plenty of them in Canada.

zac150 likes this.
  19. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

Killer Jack Rabbits near the size of a wallaby

20. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Kangaroo tastes good on the BBQ.

cin likes this.
  21. Pink

Pink Addicted

When in Rome...

Chaeron and The Plowking like this.
  22. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

Thanks...we'll see if I have time. I haven't figure out my schedule, except landing in Melbourne on 24th and leaving on the 9th + aiming to ski 7 days at the 6 ski areas mentioned above.

JUCY car and snow chains rented. I haven't decided if I was going to leave the car in Sydney and fly back to Melbourne. Cost with ski bag and one-way drop off fee would be around $300. However I'm seriously considering bypassing the whole coast from Syd-Mel and focus on what Zimbooo suggested and favour the Ocean Drive Road.

If I don't take a Syd-Mel plane, I would drive the interior route. It says 9 hours. (Again I'm mad. I went did Ottawa-Toronto return to go see concerts (David Byrne a few weeks ago and PJ Harvey last year - 450km x 2 and arrived home at 4-5am after the concert).

I'm holding off any bookings as I would like to line up all my skiing in 8 straight days (only one day off). Currently looking at the longterm forecast, so I'm waiting to see if heavy snow is still in the cards around 30th-31st. So instead of starting to ski on the 25 or 26 at Buller, I might wait for the 27th, plus it's a Monday and cheaper.

Deer get fixated by headlights. Moose can weight up to 800kg. The one I hit, the body was higher than the hood of my car. The danger is that if you hit one dead on, the first point of impact is your windshield so you might be crushed and not walk away from the crash. :(

Okay, enough with the bloom of car accidents. Snow is in the forecast and I'm stoke!!! Thank you so much for your response.

Still open for suggestions, especially for accommodations or possible deals.

#22 MadPatSki, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    cin and sly_karma like this.
  23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Car Camping near all the resorts/ski locations is totally possible if you have winter /snow camping gear.

24. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

You'll probably be stunned at the signs demanding that you fit chains when the road is perfectly drivable. Easiest just to comply.

Zeroz and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  25. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

After looking at the forecast (btw which weather site is the most reliable for Australian ski resorts) and prices.

Landing Friday 24 in Melbourne:
    Fri 24-25: Ocean Drive? Melbourne?
    Sun 26: Melbourne then driving to Mansfield.
    Mon 27: skiing Buller then moving towards....nothing else is confirmed.
    Tues 28: skiing Hotham
    Wed 29: skiing Falls Creek
    Thurs 30? driving only
    Fri 31 to Mon 3 (4 days of skiing)? Skiing Thredbo-Charlotte-Perisher.

Unfortunately way in avoiding entirely NSW ski areas/Jindabyne that weekend.

Car camping: I've done it before, but not in Winter and I'm trying not to bright too much stuff plus I'll have a Corolla or similar.

26. DidSurfNowSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Seafm, Ted Harper and MadPatSki like this.
  27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

There are plenty of places to XC ski in our National Parks that are true Ozzie back country experiences and will not cost you a pile of money to visit. Alpine NSW in particular has back country XC skiing well into September for sure.

28. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Pat, be prepared for something a lot different to Canadian skiing. I'm an aussie living in western Canada since 1988 but learnt to ski growing up in Australia.

Aussie resorts have lots of lifts and grooming and snowmaking. These plentiful amenities exist because they get a lot of people. A LOT. The resorts are all crammed into the most populated corner of the continent, it would like having all the ski hills in Canada jammed in between Ottawa and Montreal.

And, like eastern Canada skiing, the season is short and the snow gets very icy very quickly. Melt freeze conditions are more the norm than the exception. Elevations are moderate, only up to 7000 ft same as out west. But vertical is short, only Thredbo has more than 600 m, the rest are 300-400 m.

Accoms in Australia mostly have something called a drying room. This is where you dry out wet gloves, boots and other outerwear. This is because of the previously mentioned melt-freeze conditions, your stuff gets wet.

Some terminology translations:
    Toque = beanie
    Ski poles = stocks
    Turtleneck = skivvy
    Rental skis = hire skis
    Parking lot = car park
    Daylodge = no translation, does not exist
    Ice = snow

Have a great time skiing in the snowgums, Australian skiing can be good, hope you hit a couple of days that light it up.

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Snow sports in Ozstriya as stated above have often icy or slushy conditions. When there is fresh powder snow then you need to be there when it actually falling to derive the most benefit from it. Be sure to have water proof over mittens because skiing in drizzle is common place here . The reason I mentioned back country XC ski touring away from the resorts is that some people prefer the peace and quiet and untracked snow surfaces in the Nat. Parks to skiing at resorts. Of course there is more effort required to access some of these places but the rewards are greater in many ways.

MadPatSki likes this.
  30. davec1

davec1 Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

The most direct drive from Sydney to Melbourne (not via coastal road) is 10 hours if you only stop when required. It's dull, flat and quite boring - I drive it regularly. It's a waste of a day given your short time here,better to fly from Sydney to Melbourne as previously suggested.

In Sydney, catch a ferry from the City (Circular Quay) to Manly, then walk to Shelley Beach and up to North Head. Have lunch in Manly then catch the ferry back to the city. It's a beautiful part of Sydney and will give you a good look at some of the city's best features, ie. The harbour, beaches, relaxed beach culture, stunning scenery.

Im happy to send you a link for mates rates at Perisher, the same as @chicski offered. They are done on a daily basis.

I have some accommodation suggestions in Jindabyne if you want to send me a PM.

Hope this helps.

MadPatSki likes this.
  31. Pink

Pink Addicted

Re. Avoiding resort entry fees in VIC, definitely consider hitching up from the nearest towns, trying to line up a lift in the pub the night before, or taking the bus if you don’t get any offers on these forums before then. Plenty of locals commute up and down every day for work.

As mentioned by others, Bright is a good base for Hotham and Falls, or Harrietville for Hotham and Mt Beauty for Falls. Be open to spending two days at Hotham and ditching Falls. Just saying.

I can’t help you with any offers this season, but I know Season Pass holders at Hotham/Falls were given a free one day lift pass for a friend. It’s probably too late in the season for you to score any of these, but you never know, it might be worth begging on the Hotham and Falls pages of these forums.

MadPatSki likes this.
  32. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

The ever evolving plans...opinions on this one.
    So arriving early Friday morning in Melbourne. I have all of Saturday plus part of Sunday before I drive to the hills to see Melbourne-Ocean Drive Road.
    On the tail end of the trip, I'll have 4-5 days for Canberra, Sydney and part of the coast and drive back and leave Australia from Sydney? Of course there is a cost, but similar to flying back to Melbourne. Overall we are talking $300 between the car and flight change. So besides extending my stay (which isn't an option). So 2.5 days enough for Melbourne and Ocean Drive?

33. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

2.5 minutes is enough. :out:

cin, dawooduck and MadPatSki like this.
  34. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

Thanks. I think some of the buses need some reservations? But I'll see, I've done it in the Andes.

I'm already booked in Mansfield. The next place should be Bright (Hotham) and Mount Beauty (Falls). Need to figure out where I'll stay prior to the Thredbo ski day? Staying 2 nights (prior and after skiing at Falls) at Mount Beauty then using the whole day to drive to my next destination prior to skiing Thredbo.

Well it's a exploratory tour. So people are still wondering why I'm heading to Australia to ski in the first place. :D

Thanks....I'll beg if I need to. :D

35. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

From Falls Creek to Thredbo the last town is Khancoban, still about 90mins away from Tbredbo. After that it's only national park camping. Probably best to continue on to Jindabyne or it's nearby towns

MadPatSki likes this.
  36. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

That's what I was thinking, that or either finding a spot at the hostel in Thredbo. The challenge is trying to leave some flexibility for weather.

37. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

The great ocean road is Big Sur without the character. It's nice but it's a long drive for a bit of coast.

38. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Well I enjoyed the GOR and I’ve lived in Big Sur. I think it’s really pretty and some nice little towns.

climberman and dr80 like this.
  39. BrewerGrrrrrl

BrewerGrrrrrl Hard Yards

i thought i had seen the Jucy rentals have a snow package, incl hire and lift tix?
    at hotham theres quite a few of the little camper style ones parked around.
    People camp in car/tent at jb hut which is outside resort.
    There is a good value daily public bus from Bright to hotham and i assume Falls too. about 1hour to either from Bright. .
    i think its cheap but you can prebook and it does book out.
    Same deal if you stay at mansfield and bus to buller

Theres plenty of camping or cheap accomm at Bright
    Hotham Lodges have good value accomm in lodges especially midweek. there is a combined website that has all their availability and prices.

40. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

It’s funny - we did the northern Oregon coast for 5 days about a month ago and thought, while it is unique and stunning in its own way, because we have a house on the GOR and have so much time down that way we were a little blasé by the end of the week. That’s not to say I wouldn’t recommend OR to people. The GOR from say Anglesea down to Apollo Bay would be more than enough to get the experience.

Claude Cat and dawooduck like this.
  41. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

I'm travelling solo and they won't give vouchers if you're travelling without a partner. I'll try to find someone at the airport.

I was looking yesterday (buses and accommodations). So far I've only booked Mansfield prior to the Mount Buller ski day. I'll either take a bus or find a ride.

42. Pink

Pink Addicted

Here’s the cheap bus to Hotham:
    http://dysongroup.com.au/alps-link
    You have to pay resort entry as you get off the bus; $18 per person per entry, against $50 per car per day.
    https://www.mthotham.com.au/discover/explore/getting-here/resort-entry#35922-pricing

MadPatSki likes this.
  43. DidSurfNowSki

Ski Pass - Gold

MadPatSki and Pink like this.
  44. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi Pat, you'll find Canberra interesting. National capitals usually have some extra bling because they're positioned as the face of the nation, but Canberra has a twist on that - it's a planned city. No city existed there before confederation in 1901, no consensus was reached on whether to have Sydney or Melbourne as capital, so they decided to create a new capital city. Canberra is the result. Most aussies bag it as a 'fake' city or just in general because it's synonymous with the federal government, but in fact it's really become an interesting city in its own right and international visitors are enthralled by the concept. There are wide avenues that visually link key buildings like the parliament, war memorial, high court, etc, and it all centres on a lake that was created by damming the Murrumbidgee River. The Parliament buildings are quite modern, an entire hilltop was removed and replaced with this futuristic building that replicates the shape of the hill. Canberra is only a couple of hours from Jindabyne and well worth a look.

45. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

As a geographer, I'm totally looking forward to it.

I totally understand, I live in Ottawa (grew up in Montreal) which is our National Capital was selected by Queen Victoria in 1857 because they were rivalries between Montreal, Quebec City, Kingston or Toronto (10 years prior to our Confederation in 1867). So the Queen choose an "isolated location in a back country surrounded by dense forest far from the Canada–US border and situated on a cliff face would make it more defensible from attack" plus fewer chances of mobs attacking parliament.

Amelia1810 likes this.
  46. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Hard Yards

A few changes today. I checked my return flight to Canada. Instead of leaving Melbourne, now I'm flying out of Sydney.

Landing Friday 24 in Melbourne:
    Fri 24-25: Ocean Drive? Melbourne? Nothing planned or booked. Don't know where I'll sleep? Drive on the coast the day I arrive or walk around Melbourne or vice-versa. Sleep somewhere on the OCD or Melbourne the 1st night. Decisions, decisions. :p
    Sun 26: Melbourne then driving to Mansfield (booked)
    Mon 27: Bus to Ski Buller, seeing the National Alpine Museum. Sleeping in Bright that evening.
    Tues 28: Bus to Ski Hotham then drive to Mount Beauty (I haven't reserved yet - hesitating between 1 or 2 nights)
    Wed 29: Bus to Ski Falls Creek then either sleep again Mt. Beauty or drive further?

Thurs 30? driving only towards Jinbabyne. So I think I might be wise to book 2 nights in Mt. Beauty?
    Now I have a bit more flexibility for weather and planning.
    Fri 31 to Mon 3 (4 days of skiing)? Skiing Thredbo-Charlotte-Perisher.
    Tues 4?: Canberra
    Wed 5?: Coast
    Thurs 6?:
    Fri 7: Sydney
    Sat 8: Sydney
    Sun 9: Flying Sydney-Vancouver-Ottawa.

47. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

As I mentioned earlier, that weekend in Jindabyne will be very busy (as are most weekends) due to a 2 day music festival. Maybe consider doing Canberra on the weekend and then Jindy - coast - Sydney? Canberra is generally empty on the weekends as a lot of public servants are fly in fly out, and hotels are cheaper.

MadPatSki likes this.
  48. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

A geographer!
    Nice, my degree and background are in Geogrpahy, a combo of human and physical.

MadPatSki likes this.
  49. DidSurfNowSki

Ski Pass - Gold

Pft, some of us go skiing :cool:

Bogong likes this.
  50. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

You don't stay in hotels and bump the price up :p

DidSurfNowSki likes this.