1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

travelling from Brisbane to Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by argento, Jun 26, 2014.

1. argento

argento Hard Yards

never been skiing to Australia but all this talk of good snow there has got me thinking.....

Thus this post....

what is the cheapest and most straighforward of getting there from Brisbane (and roughly how much would I be looking at for travel, accommodation for 1? I realize it is a rather general query but, literally, I have no clue of this place.
    thanks for the input

2. Alkaros

Alkaros Hard Yards

I'm from Brisbane, we're driving. Probably not reccomended for one person though. You can fly to Sydney or Canberra. Hiring a car is always an option but there are Coaches that run from Sydney and Canberra towards Perisher. Staying in Jindy is cheaper, staying on Mountain is more convenient. If you do decide on Jindabyne, there are busses that will take you to bullocks flats and you can catch the skittube to perisher.

There's a lot of options. Worth a google :)

3. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Another Brisbane boy here...

We are heading to Perisher in a couple of weeks. Family of four (2 adults, 2 teen girls), and we'll be doing the drive as well. Couple of nights down (probably overnight at Forster & Canberra), and a mad dash back to make the start of school with just the one overnight.

Works out OK as there are 4 of us. But suspect it would be cheaper to fly down & then bus it from Canberra if it was just a single person?

4. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

If you hire a car in Canberra, check the terms and conditions carefully about driving in the snow area (including Bullocks flat).

If you drive from Brisbane there are two ways, either down the coast (the Pacific Highway), or down the Newell Highway cutting across to Canberra from Forbes. Both are long, you need two to three days to do them depending on how well you handle driving long distances. Both have their good and bad points. The Pacific is duplicated in a lot of places now, whereas the Newell is not, both have large sections of 110 zones. The Newell you'll deal with more trucks, the Pacific more road works due to the duplication going on.

5. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

We drove from sunny coast in 2 days. Went inland route and overnighted at Parkes. Tent site at Sawpit Creek is a good option, reasonably cheap, hot showers and guest kitchen. Hope your car is reasonable on fuel!

I've been working out the logistics of doing it on my own as my partner cant get time off but its looking too costly for a solo trip. I'll wait for NZ to cop its share and hopefully get some reasonable flights.

I don't buy into the whole NZ > Aus for skiing but in my circumstances it's definitely cheaper and more convenient. Now all they need is some snow!

6. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

When we used to make that trip we would leave Bris by 6:00am and make a day of it getting to Cowra. That would leave us with a cruizy second day. Nice brekky somewhere in town, drive to Comma and stop for supplies around lunch, cruise on up to Thredders by early afternoon for hotel check in.

On return trip, we would ski on the final day to until early arvo, Reteurn rental gear and make it it to canberra for the night. Canberra to Bris the next day.

As mentioned, Flying to Canberra and bussing it might be worth looking in to for a single person.

Travel costs will depend on what you drive, where you stop the night, parking and park fees add up as well, chain rental. Lots of little costs that add up when you go alone.

7. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you decide to drive and head by the inland route PM me and i will save you at least 30minutes with a simple short cut. More if you are prepared to try harder.

8. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Will the last person out of Brisbane please turn out the lights.

cold wombat and Alkaros like this.
  9. ToddF

ToddF First Runs

just arrived in sydney from goldy and about to hire car to go to bullocks tommorrow. Are they checking chains on way to bullocks a the moment? we found cheaper option was flights to syd not canberra and car hire roughly the same , nice drive and scenery too

10. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I'm trying to sort the same for myself and one young lad from Perth. Ferk me, but getting to Perisher isn't easy if you don't have a car! Don't really like the idea of hiring a car only to have it sit at the bottom of the hill for the whole week. Seems such a waste.

11. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Bus it from Sydney or Canberra, check Greyhound and Murrays (you don't have to be a day tripper to catch their snow buses). The timing might be a little inconvenient though.

They will drop you at the tube, from there it is the same as if you had a car.

12. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This times eleventy billion.

Presto likes this.
  13. cold wombat

Juggling those options, but the complicating factor is having to do a weeks worth of grocery shopping in either Canberra or Jindy, then getting it all up the hill. ATM favouring flying into Canberra.

14. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Supermarket in Perisher is your friend. Actually has quite a good range of stuff. Sure not as cheap as off snow but you save a heap on car hire.

15. cold wombat

Usually use that as a top up rather than base load, but with only two of us it might not be so bad.

Angus_McCrory likes this.
  16. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

It's a while since I did it, but in the olden days Woolies in Jindabyne and Hans Oversnow would combine to deliver to Perisher lodges. It might be worth a phone call. A bit dodgy with Perishables because the groceries sometimes sat in the Hans Oversnow shed/office/whatever for a while, but good for non-perishables.

17. cold wombat

My every experience with Hans Oversnow has involved my wallet being raped viciously. Nice blokes, just thoroughly without mercy on the wallet.

18. jward101

jward101 Hard Yards

This August over the Ekka week will be my 3rd trip down from BNE with 2 kids. My +1 isn't keen so I've taken control of the situation. I'm using AirBnB for the first time (Newcastle on way down, haven't booked for way back yet).

I did a solo weekender trip myself last year after a conveniently arranged (by me :)) business meeting in Sydney but I wouldn't do it again as its too much (even with work paying for flights). 1 week minimum, off snow, hiring gear would be my break even and that would be if I was twin sharing . You mentioned you're solo so its really just a matter of time and cost tolerance for you. Good luck.