travelling to Europe 2019/2020

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
If you are in Central Val G township - if you want to go clockwise on the Sell Ronda you have to take that short chair in town to get to Dantercepies Gondola. This means that more folks go the other direction- but if you do decide to go clockwise you must get to that chair really early.

Reactions: Jacko4650

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Check the Optus roaming deal
There's a very generous one getting around
Yes, it's getting very attractive - even on prepaid plans like I use. Would appreciate some user-feedback though - Telco's from Oz make me very suspicious. ie: the fine-print you never see until you get home to a $2000 bill!

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
I wonder if folks spent the night in that van.
iwonder.jpg

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Check the Optus roaming deal
There's a very generous one getting around
Unfortunately it's with their sim only plan I think. Im with Optus and I don't qualify. I'm stuck with their $10 a day travel pack. No thanks.

Reactions: piolet

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Unfortunately it's with there sim only plan I think. Im with Optus and I don't qualify. I'm stuck with their $10 a day travel pack. No thanks.
I went from one pre-paid to another during the past ski season (here in Oz) for more data, but recently switched back again as I don't need it, but the previous plan $30 a month (28 days) seemed to have a very nice plan for overseas. The new $30 (42 days) plan has nothing, so the devil is in the detail me thinks. Well worth sussing out

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
A pic of the underground tunnel system that hooks Oberlech to Lech. Alternative to the cable car for the lodges.

Its a brilliant concept and allows all manner of services to get up to the lodges in all conditions. Our taxi out very early on Saturday gets us direct from the lodge to the bus. All underground.

9D1EC9DE-D3FE-448E-A214-2EBEFA3842ED.jpeg

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
A pic of the underground tunnel system that hooks Oberlech to Lech. Alternative to the cable car for the lodges.

Its a brilliant concept and allows all manner of services to get up to the lodges in all conditions. Our taxi out very early on Saturday gets us direct from the lodge to the bus. All underground.

9D1EC9DE-D3FE-448E-A214-2EBEFA3842ED.jpeg

I love staying in Oberlech.

Funnily enough, that nighttime toboggan run under the cable car is one of my absolute highlights.

Some schnapps & a good dose of competitive spirit.... hadn't laughed so hard in a long time.

Reactions: piolet and SMSkier

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Right hand side about 200m down the slope from the top. I skiid up to a big metal door; reminded me of Tomb Raider. I suspect it was a lift or staircase to the Museum???? I'll try to hunt down my photos (another hard drive).
Asked about the tunnel today and it is an access tunnel between the second and third cable cars if you want to ski the top of the glacier. We skied straight from top to bottom so never saw the tunnel.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
These photos are epic very tempting. Looking at where to go for 29th Feb for a week. Normally do France but did Saalbach last year and loved the massive resort. If you were going to Dolomites based on the following where would you recommend basing ourselves. This week is a family week not about off-piste. Dad (70), Me (35) and Bro (29) all love doing big Kms, most happy reds/black but happy to cruise blues. Ideal skiing is least number of people/queues. Not fussed on apres, shopping, lunch etc. We will only stop for the odd photo and ski first to last lift. Ski-in/ski-out or close to it is ideal as mum (75) will potter and do a little skiing before heading back to hotel. She's speaks good Italian so will likely enjoy being able to chat to locals. We won't hire car and will be in hotel with food as parents get really tried now after mountain air and don't want to go out in evenings.
Our guide is a local and says that Corvara is the best positioned town for exploring the whole area. And as @linked_recoveries says Posta Zirm is the absolute bomb in terms of accommodation - location and comfort. We are staying here at the moment (in the apartments).

Reactions: LDJ

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
This has probably been asked many times in previous threads but can anyone recommend a good sim card deal for Europe?
we are travelling in Europe for 7 weeks and are using the Vodafone roaming package $5/day unlimited everything. Ends up costing an extra couple hundred dollars on top of monthly plan but I like it for the convenience of having my own number.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
As for our day, we skied approx 35-40kms today from Corvara to Ortisei and overstayed a bit (long lunch) ended up getting some sunset shots, last lifts and a taxi back from Colfosco. Magic day. Apologies a couple of pics doubled up.
099CB394-2854-4D06-8912-D879540425D2.jpeg
78884CE2-4689-4EDB-A740-57F9E83FA3FB.jpeg
1D064CBD-3323-49D9-91C1-087863599084.jpeg
78884CE2-4689-4EDB-A740-57F9E83FA3FB.jpeg

Attachments

• F88A6CE9-0D52-492A-8995-15A6CB8B3DE4.jpeg
    F88A6CE9-0D52-492A-8995-15A6CB8B3DE4.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 10

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
This has probably been asked many times in previous threads but can anyone recommend a good sim card deal for Europe?

Depends on where you are going. Each country will have their own pre-paid Sim. These days there is meant to be no roaming charge through the EU (does not include Switzerland), but I haven't tested this. My recent trips have been purely Austria so I have always used the A1 Sim. On arrival just find a A1 shop. Costs around 10E for 1 month. I had to register for use last year.

I am interested though in others that work throughout the EU as I am planning on returning in 2021 and probably not landing in Austria. Have had a bit of look around and there are plenty of options, but haven't had experience with those.

Reactions: PMG

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Had a Vodaphone one in Italy (bought in Italy) and it worked well in Italy, France, Austria and Germany.
Ditto for my last trip. The previous couple of trips to France I got a SIM at the post office.

My next quest is to find a good Europe eSIM. In the US over Xmas I used a T Mobile one, you signed up in the app and it was brilliant.

Reactions: climberman

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
Yes just depends what city you fly in to and then pick one up from there. I live in London and my regular Vodafone sim (I.e. the Telstra of the UK) roams across Europe. My 3 one did too, but the service connections were worse.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
I'm considering buying one here. $44 for 12 GB for 30 days for use in Germany, Austria, Slovenia. I don't know if that's enough or not.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I'm considering buying one here. $44 for 12 GB for 30 days for use in Germany, Austria, Slovenia. I don't know if that's enough or not.

That should be plenty. Most accommodations will have free wifi (WLAN), so it's more about how you use on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozzie Bear and PMG

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Our guide is a local and says that Corvara is the best positioned town for exploring the whole area. And as @linked_recoveries says Posta Zirm is the absolute bomb in terms of accommodation - location and comfort. We are staying here at the moment (in the apartments).
Great spot - mind you the ski bus for $2 a day or something means just about anywhere is handy to the ski fields.

Lifes2good

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
Another epic day yesterday. We skied to San Cassiano and caught a taxi to Lagazuoi then skied to Cinque Torri, back up Lagazuoi and down through Armentarola valley with a stop for lunch along the way. Then we were towed out of the valley by horses which was absolute magic (just avoid the brown snow). Back to Corvara in time to watch the kids do the flare run and then dinner at a Michelin rated restaurant. Don’t wake me from this dream existence please! Tomorrow is forecast to snow all day. Let me find some pics to show you...

Reactions: skiflat and piolet

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Serre Chevalier - linked area of four villages, Briancon, Chantamerle, Villeneuve, Montetier Le Bains.
Huge. Great for a mixed group, rolling terrain would be perfect for powder days, good off piste,

Skied this area a lot. It's above Monetier Le Bains, where we stayed. Really fun area.
We asked the local we skied with what it's exotic French name was. It's called...Jackson. He said no-one knows why.
20200116_122746.jpg

Couloir de la Balme. Obvious and well known. Short hike and a bit of traversing to get to it.
Steep, long and fun. Top was breakable crust and a bit awkward, but good otherwise.
The cave on the left is apparently a popular overnight spot to tour to and camp. Guess it beats pitching a tent.
20200116_130455.jpg

Couloir des filles (Girls Couloir - named in the days when only men could conquer this stuff)
20200116_140750.jpg

Fuelled by the usual mix of cheese, potatoes, meat, potatocheese, and cheesemeat.
Tartiflette, raclette (with melter-toaster contraption) and crepes
20200114_192717.jpg

Last edited:

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Euro newbie question re ski width for Austria (and Japan on the way home). We leave Friday and arrive Austria 1st Feb. I can take either my 97 mm or 108 mm width skis but not both. Don't have anything narrower. I'm assuming the 108 mm would be over the top if there is no new snow?

Reactions: CarveMan

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Euro newbie question re ski width for Austria (and Japan on the way home). We arrive Austria 1st Feb. I can take either my 97 mm or 108 mm width skis but not both. Don't have anything narrower. I'm assuming the 108 mm would be completely unsuitable and the cause of much mirth if there is no new snow?

As a bit of a ski nerd you’ll have to flesh out the brand and model of those things. And also confirm for us the places / areas you like to ski and how you like to ski them.

Given the season in Europe you may be better off with the 97mm ski there. Then again if you’re spending more time in Japan, and the 108mm ski is an all mountain type thing, then that may be a good option.

Sorry, that’s answering a question with a number of another questions. Just trying to be precise ... plus I’m coming off a big meal with goulash zuppe and lots of red wine.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Euro newbie question re ski width for Austria (and Japan on the way home). We leave Friday and arrive Austria 1st Feb. I can take either my 97 mm or 108 mm width skis but not both. Don't have anything narrower. I'm assuming the 108 mm would be over the top if there is no new snow?

In general yes, though depends where you go. Most resorts in Austria will have many kilometres of wide groomed pistes, so you will see lots of carving skis. Exceptions will be places like St Anton, Hochfugen, Fieberbrunn. I remember skiing Hochzillertal-Hochfugen a few years ago. The Hochzillertal side is all big wide groomers and carving skis, but Hochfugen is mostly ungroomed and saw lots of fat skis and ABS packs.

In short, go the 97mm.

Reactions: PMG and Hyst

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
Our guide is a local and says that Corvara is the best positioned town for exploring the whole area. And as @linked_recoveries says Posta Zirm is the absolute bomb in terms of accommodation - location and comfort.

great report thanks, I checked out your accom, looks awesome too, definitely added to the "must visit" list !

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
As a bit of a ski nerd you’ll have to flesh out the brand and model of those things. And also confirm for us the places / areas you like to ski and how you like to ski them.

Given the season in Europe you may be better off with the 97mm ski there. Then again if you’re spending more time in Japan, and the 108mm ski is an all mountain type thing, then that may be a good option.

Sorry, that’s answering a question with a number of another questions. Just trying to be precise ... plus I’m coming off a big meal with goulash zuppe and lots of red wine.
In general yes, though depends where you go. Most resorts in Austria will have many kilometres of wide groomed pistes, so you will see lots of carving skis. Exceptions will be places like St Anton, Hochfugen, Fieberbrunn. I remember skiing Hochzillertal-Hochfugen a few years ago. The Hochzillertal side is all big wide groomers and carving skis, but Hochfugen is mostly ungroomed and saw lots of fat skis and ABS packs.

In short, go the 97mm.
Thanks for the replies.
I'm probably tending to overthink it. The sensible thing to do is take the Camox as it will be a better option on hardpack and still be fine if it snows. Arriving in Japan late Feb so pow is always a lottery around then in the best of seasons.
Staying in Vorderglemm Heinz. You stayed there last year iirc?

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Yes, Vorderglemm or more commonly referred to as Saalbach Jausern. Stayed at Pension Lederergütl as suggested by @Kletterer. It is a good value pension much cheaper than anything in Saalbach proper. Rooms are a bit small and the breakfast room did get a bit cramped when busy, but it worked for me.

Location is convenient to the Schönleiten gondola. You can either walk 5 mins to the bus stop and wait for the bus to take you to the next stop or just walk 10 mins to the gondola which is what I did. You can ski back via the run 2a from the Schattberg gondola. Now you can also catch the bus down to Viehhofen to connect to Zell am See/Schmittenhöhe.

The downside of the location is that it is a bit quiet so there were only a couple of dinner options on the main road and nothing in the way of supermarkets. For Apres and dinner options you would need to go into Saalbach itself.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Serre Chevalier - linked area of four villages, Briancon, Chantamerle, Villeneuve, Montetier Le Bains.
Huge. Great for a mixed group, rolling terrain would be perfect for powder days, good off piste
I was lucky enough to do a whole season there in the past and I love the accessible offpiste, its also seriously good for natural jumps, drops and halfpipes. It is mainly considered an intermediate resort so it leaves huge amounts of off-piste for people that are prepared to do short hikes or traverses. As Zeroz said its great for mixed abilities as you can often ski off-piste to the same place as a green, blue or red and meet your group at the same lift. Don't get me started on the food its making me hungry

Reactions: Zeroz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Thanks for the replies.
I'm probably tending to overthink it. The sensible thing to do is take the Camox as it will be a better option on hardpack and still be fine if it snows. Arriving in Japan late Feb so pow is always a lottery around then in the best of seasons.

Also note if you plan to ski Schattberg Nord or Zwölferkogel Nord you would want to be narrower and have good edges as well as some balls. ;)

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Yes, Vorderglemm or more commonly referred to as Saalbach Jausern. Stayed at Pension Lederergütl as suggested by @Kletterer. It is a good value pension much cheaper than anything in Saalbach proper. Rooms are a bit small and the breakfast room did get a bit cramped when busy, but it worked for me.

Location is convenient to the Schönleiten gondola. You can either walk 5 mins to the bus stop and wait for the bus to take you to the next stop or just walk 10 mins to the gondola which is what I did. You can ski back via the run 2a from the Schattberg gondola. Now you can also catch the bus down to Viehhofen to connect to Zell am See/Schmittenhöhe.

The downside of the location is that it is a bit quiet so there were only a couple of dinner options on the main road and nothing in the way of supermarkets. For Apres and dinner options you would need to go into Saalbach itself.
Yes, the owner said there is only three restaurants there. We'll probably bus it up to Saalbach for the other nights. We've also got a kitchenette if we don't want to go out at all.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Must check it out. :)

Good luck. I went for a bit of a slide on Zwölferkogel nord last year. Once was enough.

edit. I was on the old Mantras and the edges were not in the best condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMG
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass