1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Treble cone for beginner?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by dolfyn, Jun 13, 2011.

1. dolfyn

dolfyn First Runs

Hi all,

was looking at going to wanaka this year and looking at going to treble cone. Trying to figure out if it would be suitable for a beginner / low intermediate skiier as my friend will want black runs.

Would Treble cone be suitable for both of us? Doesn't seem to have many green runs but Cardrona seems a bit too limited for my friend...

Just more detail on my skiing - normally start the week on a level 3 (wedge turns, parallel by the end of turn) and end the week on a 4 (pretty much parallel most of the turn). I get a bit freaked out by people swishing by. Hate thredbo (too many people, too many green / blue / black runs converging, narrower runs - can't do my erratic wide turns comfortably with all the people), like perisher (wide areas, lotsa space for people to go around me).

any advice on where to go?

thanks a lot!

2. rangerider

rangerider A Local

TC will be too steep for larry learners. It's going to be a compromise but Cardrona will suit your group better.

3. Bushy69

Bushy69 Hard Yards

I 100% agree with rangerider, TC could be a bit above your level. There are no wide green runs, and some of the wide Blue runs can get tricky in places. I met a lady there last year who I would consider a low intermediate... she was parallel all the way, and nice technique, but just needed the reassurance of wider runs to build confidence. After two days at TC, she was just down and out, and wanted to just go home. TC is an awesome place, just not suitable for those that need to go slow and steady, and have wide turns for confidence (IMO).

Cardrona I feel would have enough to keep your advanced friend busy, and perfect for your ability level (IMO). If your in Wanaka, why dont you do the first few days at Cardy, then try a day at TC towards the end of your stay (once you have some ski-time under your belt).

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd say you and your friend will be better off each doing your own thing.

Cardrona will be prefect for beginner / intermediates. The advanced skier should also enjoy it for a couple of days - there is some good advancd terrain, but then will want something more.

If you don't like people swishing by you on trails at Thredbo you definately wont enjoy Treble Cone. The easier runs are basically narrow road. Your friend though should certainly enjoy the terrain there.

Best bet (as suggested above) as would be to both start the week at Cardrona. When you friend gets bored wih that after a couple of days he can head to TC on his own. You could maybe join him there near the end of the week. The views are very good.

I took this pic last year primarily to illustrate this point. This is basically the extent of the beginner terrain at TC.
    [​IMG]

#4 Heinz, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree with posts here. Go Cardi it will give you confidence and then do TC towards end of trip if all is well.

FWIW, Home basin is pretty frustrating to ski being largely a narrowish catrack - although apparently improved a tad in the last couuple of years (since I've last been there).

TC also has a optmistically low-base (even by warm Aussie stds) at ~ 1200m so snow is often quite soft or icy and not typical of the usual NZ quality. Cardi is mostly above 1700m ( some skiing is ~ 1600m on Whitestar) and reasonably south-facing so quality remains high - much higher than lowerTC.

That said, don't stop your friend doing TC - the saddle Basin is great in good, fresh POW but you may just have to resign yourself to skiing the home trails.

Or maybe, get a bus to Remarks/CPeak for a day for variety?

My 2 cents - enjoy (we're off to the Qtown side of Crown Range in < 2 months!).

#5 snowgum, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  6. dolfyn

dolfyn First Runs

looks like the decision is pretty straight forward, especially with that picture (thanks heinz)

i'm pretty happy to go to cardrona by myself if my friend wants to try TC so will see how it works out once we're there

thanks for all your responses, been really helpful!

cheers

7. K@os

K@os A Local

cardies has some fun spots for advanced skiers. I never get sick of doing the chutes and the surrounding runs. Your mate should definately check it out for a day or 2