Trekking Poles - Educate Me

William

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Cairns
Have decided I could probably get some benefit out of some trekking poles. A few walks I've been on lately have had larger steps on descents and ascents that have given me pause and generally think I would get some advantage from having a couple of extra points of contact as well as the general assistance on the walks.

My walks are exclusively tropical, so I've read cork is best on sweaty hands, sound right?
Do I really need shock absorbing? Seems like a lot of technology for a stick.
Read that twist lock mechanisms are the shit, no like really and should steer clear. Cam lock or fixed length?
Aluminium, carbon fibre? all seem to come out at roughly the same weight for a pair being 400g-600g. The weight difference seems small but think it might feel substantial after 10km or more.

$60 to $300, is the cheap end really not worth it?

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

You need to buy them longer than a traditional pole.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.

The Toblerone of poles.
Kinky.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
Have decided I could probably get some benefit out of some trekking poles. A few walks I've been on lately have had larger steps on descents and ascents that have given me pause and generally think I would get some advantage from having a couple of extra points of contact as well as the general assistance on the walks.

My walks are exclusively tropical, so I've read cork is best on sweaty hands, sound right?
Do I really need shock absorbing? Seems like a lot of technology for a stick.
Read that twist lock mechanisms are the shit, no like really and should steer clear. Cam lock or fixed length?
Aluminium, carbon fibre? all seem to come out at roughly the same weight for a pair being 400g-600g. The weight difference seems small but think it might feel substantial after 10km or more.

$60 to $300, is the cheap end really not worth it?
early in your walk - look around, bend over, pick up a nice stick about rib height when standing end on end (ensure the stick doesn't wriggle before picking up), smooth off one end and there you have your walking pole

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Another vote for Helinox. Not only are they excellent, and light poles, one style (passport I think ) fold into Four and are great for travelling.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Good for ski mountaineering, shit for covering distance. Wrist straps exist for a reason.

Reactions: teletripper

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Good for ski mountaineering, shit for covering distance. Wrist straps exist for a reason.
Weirdly ok for it.

You’d be surprised how much you vary hand position when it’s a thing you can actually do, as you ski and/or tour and/or walk along.

I probably wouldn’t use them for classic or skating but they were certainly developed for mountain walking and running alongside steep skiing. Have found them great for Oz bc and for walking.

You can also attach straps if you like, there’s a slot for them. Or put the palm of your hand over the top of the pole, it’s rounded rather than the standard pole ‘pistol grip’.

They are longer than trad poles.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Weirdly ok for it.

You’d be surprised how much you vary hand position when it’s a thing you can actually do, as you ski and/or tour and/or walk along.

I probably wouldn’t use them for classic or skating but they were certainly developed for mountain walking and running alongside steep skiing. Have found them great for Oz bc and for walking.

You can also attach straps if you like, there’s a slot for them. Or put the palm of your hand over the top of the pole, it’s rounded rather than the standard pole ‘pistol grip’.

They are longer than trad poles.
Its easy to adjust the height of your hand when you aren't in mountaineering terrain, just plant the pole further behind you, and you get straps to help you push.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I bushwalk a lot each year in the Australian Alps from Nov. to late March. I use Exped trekking poles and wear cycling gloves with them. I trek on some Very Steep tracks and like a good 'boots on' river crossing too.
Poles are indispensable and will save you from falling over countless times and from shredding your quads and knees. They help work your arms too so you push yourself up ascents and slow your steep descent. The adjustable poles help you descend when you make them longer and you need to shorten them for steep ascents. Wrist straps are useful.
You can get replacement tips for trekking poles. That is very handy because one day you will wear them out on rocky terrain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass