Trentino Val di Fiemme 2013 Nordic world championship

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Just a reminder the world championship begins tonight (Cross country of course). Australia have named their cross country squad ready to compete in a freestyle sprint qualifier of about 5&10 km (i think its skating tonight?):

Male athletes:
Callum Watson
Phillip Bellingham
Paul Kovacs
Mark van der Ploeg
Female athletes:
Esther Bottomley
Aimee Watson
Anna Trnka
Lescinska Grimmer

Womens qualifying tonight 8:30 & Mens qualifying tonight at 10:30 on Eurosport
Suport the boys and girls from falls!

Wishing them all the best in the qualifying tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Feel free to discuss the Val Di Fiemee right now or any time, I love to talk about cross country!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
scottski said:
Anna Trnka currently in 10th place ?
Fantastic!
thumbsup.gif

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Yes, Aimee Watson did well too, a good result from the Aussies. Mens starts in about an hour. Looking out for Paul Kovacs, don't think Watson and Bellingham are skiing today

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Its very nice to see some Australian skiers on Eurosport, usually they don't qualify for the world cup races, so I miss out on cheering my team on. Saw the Aus CC Team training at the nordic bowl Falls creek last year, very inspirtaional to me. I remember how many different skis they'd carry down there in thier ski bags

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
The Ski jumpings on right now, don't think theres any aussies there. I Reckon for the sake of nordic combined they should integrate Telemark bindings in thier skis! That would be funny

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
scottski said:
Just about to turn on a watch. Love XC.
Thats great, I didn't think there was many others out there interested. I don't really have any friends out there to talk about XC so its great people are interested, I'm pretty obsessed with XC!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Of the 8 Aussie skiers, 4 are mt beauty locals and 1 is an honorary local (married to a local ).

As for who is competing today
From aus xc.com (site mainly run by the national coach last time I heard)

The championship begins on February 20 with the 5/10km Freestyle Qualification races. Six of the eight Australians will compete in these opening events. The exceptions are Callum Watson, who is directly qualified for the men’s 15km event, and Esther Bottomley, who is focussing on the sprint event on February 21. The first 10 athletes from the qualification races will then able to start the 10/15km events on February 25 and 26. There are 44 women and 73 men starting in the qualification races and making the top 10 will be a tough challenge, however each of the Australian competitors has the potential to make it through if they have a good day.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
ah, 4 are Mt beauty locals? interesting. I wonder where the rest are from. I'm very jealous of mt beauty locals being so close to falls!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Mark, Phillip, Anna and Esther have all grown up here. Linky is married to local boy Nick Grimmer who is also a top xc skier

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Bellingham finishes 12th, just a few seconds short of a place! Still a very top effort by the AUS men & women today

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Was in the stands watching this afternoon.

Really exciting to see six Australian team members in action. Bit of a roller coaster ride as Phil, Anna and Aimee were still in contention for a top ten finish, and having to watch them slowly slip out of the qualifiers as the last few skiers came in was a real strain.

However, a fantastic effort by all involved.

Worst part of the day was sitting in front of a group of Brits, who took great pride in letting us know that it was 3 to 0 in terms of GBR v AUS.

Looking forward to tomorrow's sprints where we can expect to see Anna, Linky, Esther, Phil and Mark starting in the sprints.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Mjolnir, that would have been great to see, are you there for the whole Fiemme? The Eurosport commentators were very british biased! they wouldn't stop talking about the british athletes!

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Only staying until Monday. Great to watch the sprint qualifiers with five skiers to barrack for. And lots of exciting skiing overall.

Just returned from an evening stroll through the streets of Cavalese. All very relaxed with snow falling lightly, the main street closed to traffic and a big crowd for the presentation ceremony.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Sounds very nice, very jealous too! It's great to see we have some support up there!

Last nights AUS results:
World Champs Classic Sprint: Bottomley 61, Trnka 80, Grimmer 85 / 101 starters. Bellingham 74, van der Ploeg 75 / 129

Tough race seeing them line up with stars like Colongna, Northug, Randal ect.

Turned it off during the semi quals, watching 300+ skiers on the same loop 1.5k gets boring after a while...

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Mass start Skiathlon the next event. Can certainly expect to have more exciting action compared to the interval starts.

The TV will be following the lead group, so you can probably expect not to see much of our skiers, but keep an eye out for those distinctive black and green suits, especially at the start.

Seven Aussies listed to start. Anna Trnka, Linky Grimmer, Esther Bottomley and Aimee Watson in the women's, and Callum Watson, Paul Kovaks and Mark van der Ploeg in the men's.

It is cooling down tonight, expected down to -7, but the forecast is for around 0 when the races get underway in the afternoon, with maybe a dusting of snow thrown in.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Thanks for the info, I'm not very familiar with skiathlon, but I hear it is a combination of the two disciplines, not sure if theres an area for a changeover of skis? though changing boots would be difficult.

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Women's event is 15km, 7.5km classic and 7.5km free technique. Men do 30km, 15km in each style. And the boot issue is easily (?) dealt with by having a third pair of boots ... special skiathlon boots.

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Nice day at the races today, with Callum and Aimee Watson the best performers from AUS.

Back to the stands tomorrow for the last time to watch Callum Watson and Phil Bellingham in the team sprint.

Big crowd at today's events, with an equally good traffic snarl as everyone left at the same time onto a fairly narrow country road.l

About 10 cm of nice snow fallen as of 11pm tonight and still falling. Could be interesting for the waxing team tomorrow

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Yes, I didn't even think of that myself!, and I even wear Combi boots myself!, they are the only XC boots I own even. I didn't think they were good enough for FIS competition, but I suppose they have a place and use in skiathlon.

It was a very exciting race, I was wanting Northug to overtake Colongna so bad, it wasn't his day i guess. Although he seemed to stay around 15th the whole time, it was his own fault not to attack or make a move earlier.

skiathlon seems to be a good test for the skier who is equally good at both disciplines, especially in the womens were there were greater breaks in groups. Im thinking of kikan Randal, she is an excellent skater but she can't do classic as good.

Lets hope the groomers are doing their job well then, I hate to skate in fresh snow, it is so slow and trips you up sometimes!

ah, team sprint should be interesting, I can't watch it on Eurosport, theres nothing on tonight, probably some more important rugby or downhill competition on at the same time! (nothing wrong with a bit of rugby though!)

I was amazed at how quick they transition to skates, there must be some practice of that during there training sessions.

Did anyone see the italian coach in the middle of tracks, he got stuck in between a lot of classic skiers, Eurosport commentators were outraged.

I'm looking forward to the 50Km, did anyone see the one in the Tour De Ski, that was epic. That was very similar to the stages of the Tour de France, as there are Breakaways and chases. Although I think it may be classic technique for this race, skating would have been better

Mjolnir

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2013
Woke up this morning to 25cm of new snow on the car. Should have put it in the garage overnight.

What a great first lap in the second semi final of the Sprint Relay from Phil Bellingham .... Up there with the leaders on the big screen in the stadium. We have never seen such extensive coverage of an Australian on Eurosport in a major cross country event.

Tough event the sprint relay. Two skiers, four laps. Ski one lap, have a rest while your team mate skis a lap, then do it again.

Well done Phil and Callum.

Bye bye to Val di Fiemme. Back on the road again tomorrow.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Sounds like you had a great time at the Fiemme, I'll be on the look out for that relay on eurosport, they didn't broadcast it live in Australia so they might show it in the early hours of the morning sometime. Mjolnir, it must hurt to be leaving especially after 25cm of fresh!

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Just a reminder today is the last event of the Val Di Fiemme, catch the 50km Men's Classic at 10:15 on EuroSport. Should be very interesting, I think Petter Northug has a good chance of winning it.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
It's very warm 15 degrees over there right now, reckon a lot will be wearing shorts and no hat racing

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
An amazing finish last night Olsson (SWE) I was hoping for a chase to catch him from colongna or northug but keeping a breakaway for 40km is quite a feat. Have a lot of respect for him. This has to be one of the best moments in Cross country skiing

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass