Trip planning

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Mr. Miyagi, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

Hi Folks

Staying at Falls from Monday 13/8 to Friday 17/8.

Due to work commitments I can't leave home until 7:30pm, which means I won't arrive on mountain until around 1am.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there anywhere I can grab alpine diesel at that time of night?
    2. Is there any way I can transfer from the carpark to our accommodation at that time of night?

If I can't, I'll sleep in the car overnight at Bright, grab alpine diesel on the Tuesday morning then head up from there.

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Caltex in Myrtleford used to have Alpine diesel and used to have a 24 hour machine/ Suggest you give them a call to cinfirm that this is still the case

Oversnow (ATS) stops at 10pm on Mondays IIRC. They also say to ring if you will be late and they MIGHT to help. I suspect that 1am is outside that buffer but no harm asking. Another option might be to take bare minimum stuff in a back pack. Park in the late arrivals area and walk to accommodation with said back pack. In the morning, go back to car, unload remaining stuff at ATS and proceed as normal

Slide Sideways and Mr. Miyagi like this.
  3. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

Thanks for this - staying at Silverski, how long would the walk take?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Yes the southern Caltex has alpine diesel and card payment but you're as well off using a dewaxing additive in your current tank - Flashlube or Lucas.

5. currawong

There is a set of steps (in 2 parts with christie st in the middle) that takes you from ATS to opposite silverski. with just a daypack it should take 5-10 minutes. This section of the village map shows the stairs in purple. I think the late arrivals parking is just before ATS

Slide Sideways likes this.
  6. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

What Currawong said....

Or....

Depending on which carpark you get.....

Straight up slalom st from Slalom plaza. ..with bare minimum luggage should take about 10 mins easy stroll . ....less stairs this way :)

currawong likes this.
  7. currawong

Depending on snow condition, stairs can be easier. Slogging through deep sugar or slush is a PITA. But with a nice surface, strolling up the road can be a good alternative.

Slide Sideways likes this.
  8. Every2years

Every2years Hard Yards

We've stayed at Silverski and Frueauf 3 or 4 times and have done the walk up those stairs on those trips carrying our gear. I quite like that walk and prefer the metal steps to the deep sugar on the village roads, particulary when carrying bags (we use duffel bags not suit cases though). Once you get to Silverski you are greeted with more steps to get up to the building and then up to your room.