1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trump to scrap visa-waiver program for Aussies?

Discussion in 'United States' started by K_Bird, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thats a quick trip to the Excited States, thought you'd be another week or so.

BoofHead likes this.
  2. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

No. Hide under a table somewhere. Statistically, given 8 hours you're a pretty reasonable chance to be shot, arrested, experience an earthquake or be hit by a North Korean missile.

BoofHead and crackson like this.
  3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Himmm did nteresting

My last trip (pre trump) I got grilled/held up for a worryingly long time (probably not really but long enough for stress levels to rise.

Did have had 2 working visa J1 and H2/B2

Since they were 15 years old never thought it would be an issue! (Also not in current passport.

Eventually got let through with no one explanation. Gent was perfectly like lovely just got grilled.

4. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Find some dead babies in an Aus cemetary and apply for fake passports. Works great for 'arts' students.

5. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

2 weeks
    luggage checked through from Aspen to BrisVegas. LAX it is.

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you are flying out of Aspen your wait will not be 8 hours. You will be panicking about whether you will miss your connection. Aspen airport closes if the wind gets over 10 mph.

I would go up to Santa Monica for dinner. There is a mall there with a few restaurants, or you could go down to the pier - the end of Route 66.

There is a bus tricked up to look like a tram that runs along the coast up to Santa Monica. I'm not sure where it leaves from in the airport - I caught it outside my hotel (I was stuck in LAX for 2 days because New York was buried in snow). It runs every half hour or so. The trip takes about 30 minutes (maybe a tad longer).

7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Delayed or cancelled flights out of Aspen are a real concern. The alternative is flying out of Eagle, about 100 km and 90 minutes away by road.

8. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

1. Get a free shuttle bus to one of the numerous airport hotels around LAX.
    2. Get the free bus from the hotel strip to Manhattan Beach. It's closer than Venice or Santa Monica and has some nice restos, pubs and shops, a low key non-touristy beach area.
    3. Cab or Uber back directly to LAX, will be $25 or so.

9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Manhattan beach is presentable with a pier and a good spread of restaurants and bars.

10. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

LAX international was a pleasant surprise in October. With 4 kids in tow it probably lessens their suspicions? I don't know probably not - we could have fluked a nice person.

11. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yeah ESTA was operating back then. But it was mysterious AF. Apply online, on a terrible website, then hear nothing back and hope like hell your details were somewhere in the system when you landed at LAX. I had an ESTA in late 2009 (was only transiting) and still got quizzed for close to an hour as to why I hadn't provided an accommodation address for my 6 hours in the US. Eventually the "friendly" official decided they could just enter "LAX".

12. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Not an ESTA experience, but when Mrs LTB and I had to travel back to Vancouver a few weeks back, we got to MEL to catch a domestic QF flight to BNE, to then catch our international to YVR. The QF girl at the domestic desk quizzed us on ETAs and could we produce the documentation. I said no we didn't have a document, it was electronic and bust we must have them as we'd been in and out of Canada on multiple occasions over the past two years. Due to tight connections, she begrudgingly checked us all the way through, reminding me that if we didn't have our ETAs in the AC system at the gate when we checked in we wouldn't be allowed to fly.

As we flew up to BNE, it dawned on me that we wouldn't have needed ETAs in the 2 years we lived there as we had a special Visa to accompany our kids on student visas :eek::eek:

Fortunately, the QF flight had free in flight wifi so, by the time we landed, we had our ETAs in place. Very lucky too as we went straight from domestic to Int terminal and they were boarding the plane by the time we got to the gate............

mx_boarder and dawooduck like this.
  13. sly_karma

Never underestimate the power of poorly trained/misinformed/out of date airline check-in staff to ruin your day.

Fozzie Bear and cold wombat like this.
  14. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    LOL so true.

In this case though, if QF girl hadn't have been so insistent about it, I wouldn't have given it a second thought until they refused to board us on the BNE-YVR flight which would have been a disaster as we had a 3 day conference starting 6 hours after we landed in Van :eek:

Marty_McSly and Ozgirl like this.
  15. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I can understand their reluctance to board someone without an ETA (Australia) / ESTA (US) / eTA (Canada), if Australia's regulations are any guide, and having developed the entire concept it could well be the case that the US, and Canada, have copied the Australian infringement regeime whereby the airline is fined for bringing someone to the border without appropriate authorization, and that would be traced back to the agent who slipped up.

When the ETA was introduced in Australia in 2006 pretty soon United racked up near $1M in fines and senior executives flew out to express their concern to Australian Immigration: In the US it had been presented to the US authorities as being equivalent to visa free travel which allowed the US immigration agency (INA) to gazette Australia as a country whose nationals did not need a visa to travel to the US. So while Qantas agents abroad were pretty well trained in how to validate the ETA on check-in all those United agents in scattered around the US had the idea that they need not do so, and thus boarded passengers who had the same idea.

I found the Canadian web site deficient compared with the US in terms of being able to check if my electronic visa was in place: The US one just required the passport number I'd used but making an enquiry for travel a bit over a year ago the Canadian site while having a web page for the purpose insisted on being supplied the eTA number, which presumably was on the original system generated email, but which I'd deleted.

16. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

I'll make sure to move mine to my "keep" folder.

17. sly_karma

All quite fair and reasonable. Reinforces that individual travelers need to fully understand their specific position re visa for their destination, and to understand that airlines do not have the final say on who enters a country.