1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to decide between Myoko or Nozawa

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Gina Hill, Jun 17, 2019.

1. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I stay bottom end of village and
    If i walk out of house to snow on the ground -mid mountain
    No snow on ground-Top mountain
    Snow in dunny window-Madarao
    Snow front door-Sugi
    Snow dining window-trip n/west in car
    Dig the car - mid, bottom , top, back bowls in that order

Zimbooo likes this.
  2. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Donz was 16/17 really a dud year . This is Myoko station .. had to get taxied in . Too much snow for the train .Mid Jan

Dumphfish, fennekeg and Donzah like this.
  3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

*dud
    Just started slowly. First snowfall was 11th of Jan with 23cm (50 mid mountain)

kaegee and Froff Life like this.
  4. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

I can't think of anything remotely similar in Snowbird and Noz, but I certainly like both of them. Hmmm maybe Regulator just off the Tram compared to that 39 degree slope on Hikage, you can scream down both charging pretty hard with the short radius turns. Certainly the food is a lot better in Noz. 7-10 days skiing? I'd probably say you'd ski out Noz in 5 so I'd plan on a day at Madaro 1/2 day to see the Monkeys etc.

I'm trying out Myoko for the first time this coming Jan so looking forward to being able to make that comparison.

5. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I never thought of that.
    The typical shorter season is snow starting in mid December and finishing at the end of March?

6. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm still finding places in Noz that I haven't been down before so I don't get the 7-10 days and it's done theme. It's just fun.

Dumphfish and grantn like this.
  7. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, I always find the "it's only worth x days" comments funny regardless of the resorts they are referring to. I ski 70+ days a year every year at my local resort and enjoy every day of it. Maybe it's the difference between a skier and a ski holidaymaker?

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

Last year did 10 days Myoko and 8 days Nozawa, I think they're both great places to visit and ski. Deciding between the two is splitting hairs. Having said that, next year we are doing 2 weeks all at Myoko because we're having a more 'compact' trip and want to base ourselves in one location.

9. Donzah

Season finishes in may.
    However the weather patterns turn to spring quite dramatically due to lattitude and altitude.
    The resorts with high Alpine like Hakuba have great spring skiing and touring

10. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Does the height also make Hakuba a better bet early season than the lower hills?

Lucky Pete likes this.
  11. Donzah

No. Not really.

12. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Well, Hakuba base areas are higher than some (around 700-800m), while in Yuzawa it's around 300-400m near the town. Nozawa is 576m.
    The marginal early season temperatures mean that the bases are more susceptible to rain if they're lower (talking about early/mid December)
    However, if we look at late December, the resorts close to the sea often get more snow, because the early season winds tend to be more westerly, and that means more snow nearer the coast.
    So for example, Shiga Kogen lowest base area is around 1360m, but it doesn't mean it gets large early season dumps because of altitude, since it's not near the coast where more snow falls early on.

Gregah likes this.
  13. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

I don’t recall snow accumulation like in this photo around base at Snowbird /Alta even though plenty on the ski hill. Not sure how they measure snow in Myoko but they get heaps! Pic in Feb 2012 backstreet at Akakura Onsen.PS sorry for poor photo quality!

fennekeg and PerthBoarder like this.
  14. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

That is pretty amazing given the low elevation.
    You are correct in saying the snowfall at the hills in North America and Europe seem to differ greatly between the bases and even mid mountain. Often overnight snowfall will be half at the base.
    Can the fantastic snow record at low elevation in Japan be attributed mainly to the ‘lake effect’ from the Siberian breeze?

15. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

I think the answer is YES

16. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve also been to both. Japan beats snowbird hands down for amount of snow, and two hands down for less competition to ski it

Nozawaman likes this.
  17. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Mid week... weekends can be a different story

18. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, that's correct. But not just the low elevation snow, but the amount of snow.
    Have a look at this thread for a weather tutorial:
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/weather-tutorial-for-japan.63512/
    The strength of the wind, temperature and the direction are important. More westerly, and the cloud rakes the coastal areas (see below) dumping lots of snow, while resort further inland may not get much on that wind.

Here are some examples of snow in Japan.
    Myoko: 3 days of snow 159cm, Dec 2017

Central Hakuba had 10cm of snow (40km from the coast). Near the coast, northeast of Hakuba, This place is 12km from the coast, 50cm overnight, +20cm more up to 2pm, Jan 2018. 20 people on the mountain:

Central Hakuba was sunny. Near the coast, north of Hakuba, this place is 10km from the coast, 40cm overnight, clearing, Jan 2019. 30 people on the mountain, plus school kids on the groomers:

And here's the Kurobe snow corridor, cleared in April, after the snow stops:
    [​IMG]

All in central Honshu.

19. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Same as snowbird

20. BrockF

BrockF Hard Yards

Deepest recorded snowfall in japan is just a few train stops down the valley from Nozowa if I recall. There is a monument with the depth Just next to the train station.

21. fennekeg

fennekeg Hard Yards

Yes, almost 8 metres at Morimiyanohara station. It’s a nice train ride from Iiyama btw, about 45 mins iirc, along a river meandering through the mountains, lovely views.

BrockF likes this.